• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Kestrel Killer?

_Windrider_

Shiner of shoes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    @Sand Sock Gear

Tell me more!,,

89841C3B-417D-4871-A47A-76414B834C3B.png

@Lowlight you have any info on this?

Looks interesting. I wouldn't say it's a Kestrel killer though if you just want atmospherics. Definitely a competitor no doubt.

You know the last time I put batteries in one of my two Kestrels? I think it was 2017...

Not sure that 'Kestrel killer' is really appropriate, but it definitely is interesting to see the atmospheric sensors being integrated into a PDA-type device. I'd be interested in who was making the actual hardware, what kind of water/dust-proofing it has, etc. I'd also like to hear details on the OS - it's pretty obviously an Android-based OS, but how much customization have they done, and are they supporting the Google Play store, or their own proprietary system?

We need less proprietary ballistics computers and more shit that works together with other things; especially with weapon mounted range finders that someone needs to make more of.

Whoever makes a bomb proof ballistics computer that works with any Kestrel, various weapons mounted LRFs and hand held LRFs without having to buy a bunch of proprietary software or specialty cables and shit will win.

I'll have to do the read up on it. I would buy it if it a rugged unit

In for details. Love my Kestrel but screen size/limited info to see drop tables bugs me. Would be nice to have a weather proof device with decent battery life, ballistics calculator, stage/target card, shot timer and par time counter in one device for practice and matches.

That thermistor looks a bit flimsy though.. hopefully that's just a prototype and actual field model will be reinforced a bit and centered inside housing.

Super slick looking!

Reactions: 338dude and TACC
    We need less proprietary ballistics computers and more shit that works together with other things; especially with weapon mounted range finders that someone needs to make more of.

Whoever makes a bomb proof ballistics computer that works with any Kestrel, various weapons mounted LRFs and hand held LRFs without having to buy a bunch of proprietary software or specialty cables and shit will win.

Agreed. Whole heartedly.

I'd wager since Caylen, Phil and Frank were 41's/17's and work and/or talk with Gunwerks, it'd be hard to imagine a system that is designed to be proprietary. Frank has said it many times: "Whoever comes out with a device that works with as many other devices as possible, will win this market." I agree. An Open API (WiFi, BTLE, Ant+, USB cable, whatever) is the key. That levels the playing field for more vendors to offer something innovative and targeted for a users' environment (hunting, PRS, ELR, whatever), without being tied to a specific vendor, supplier or partner.

Agreed. Whole heartedly.

I'd wager since Caylen, Phil and Frank were 41's/17's and work and/or talk with Gunwerks, it'd be hard to imagine a system that is designed to be proprietary. Frank has said it many times: "Whoever comes out with a device that works with as many other devices as possible, will win this market." I agree. An Open API (WiFi, BTLE, Ant+, USB cable, whatever) is the key. That levels the playing field for more vendors to offer something innovative and targeted for a users' environment (hunting, PRS, ELR, whatever), without being tied to a specific vendor, supplier or partner.
    Yes and no.

For the time being makes sense to have all systems talking each other, but the real gem will be some sort of unique system that is all-inclusive, therefore won't need to talk to anyone else being self-sufficient. Right now, this "let's talk round-robin" is really some sort of a mess pushed up by Kestrel's market position, which like in all markets can change overnight when a new player joins in with a better solution.

Let's face this, the Kestrel is simply a bad design for shooting, with its miniature awkward display and rocker buttons, but it came first and nobody showed up to join the party so they set the rules by which all others dance now.

IMHO, this new Revic device has the potential to effectively kill the Kestrel as long as it performs and is priced and marketed right, so we shall wait and see. It's due time for a challenger (y)

I was thinking the HUD system would be the solution but Kestrel made it more complicated than it needs to be. They need to put the AB into the HUD from the get go.Hope this Revic unit will put the fear of losing market share into Kestrel and AB to start listening to the consumers.

Reactions: LastShot300
    Sorry I just started a new thread on this exact item. Please delete it I did not see this one. Don’t mean to walk on your topic.

I was thinking the HUD system would be the solution but Kestrel made it more complicated than it needs to be. They need to put the AB into the HUD from the get go.Hope this Revic unit will put the fear of losing market share into Kestrel and AB to start listening to the consumers.
    If Revic plays their cards smart enough, Kestrel will feel the pain. It's an old design, a workhorse that needs a revamping so badly that I don't see them putting the money to compete. Right on with the HUD, but this design was done on purpose to drain more money from us:mad:, the same they have been doing so far, giving their dominant position, which in the first place was never designed as a shooting tool, just a rehash of their standard line.

Reactions: culater
    Some might think I'm being petty, but I wonder about the battery need/issue, to begin with. Does this Revic device drain batteries, even when 'off'?

Disposable weather-meters are a negative. Especially when one pays ~$450.00 for one.

Yes it does,but it was also made to tie into their scope.
    Ok Raven is this unit able to Bluetooth compatible with other range finders like the Leica 2800.com. You seem to have more information then we do. Please confess where you got your info. Thanks . I'm already very interested in this unit because if I understand you that it can be a stand alone unit.

Ok Raven is this unit able to Bluetooth compatible with other range finders like the Leica 2800.com. You seem to have more information then we do. Please confess where you got your info. Thanks . I'm already very interested in this unit because if I understand you that it can be a stand alone unit.
    I watched a video a couple of days ago,all I know is they used it with their scope.
    I don't even believe that they are on the market yet.
    I will try to find the video and post it.
    Sorry but been sick and just got home from ER

I watched a video a couple of days ago,all I know is they used it with their scope.
    I don't even believe that they are on the market yet.
    I will try to find the video and post it.
    Sorry but been sick and just got home from ER

No worrys,I pray that you get better in Jesus name. Amen

Reactions: PatMiles

This right fucking here.

The absolute weak point on a Kestrel is the lack of a push button interface. The arrow keys or whatever it is on there is absolute shit tier for entering data.

And the HUD needs to have wireless as well as data port connections to common PLRF (which is another topic in that the retards that design these need to figure out a universal cable/port format and fucking stick to it).

Funny... the one thing that has kept me from getting a Kestrel is the user interface. Push-buttons to scroll around?? Welcome to 20 years ago! I wondered why they hadn't produced a model with a touch screen (like a smart phone). So, I've been using a Weathermeter that links to Strelok Pro on my phone. I'm simply not going to spend many hundreds of dollars on a device that has a tiny LCD screen with push-button arrows to navigate and make selections. No way.

But, something like what is pictured here? Yeah... I'm interested. We'll see how well it works and what it costs.

Funny... the one thing that has kept me from getting a Kestrel is the user interface. Push-buttons to scroll around?? Welcome to 20 years ago! I wondered why they hadn't produced a model with a touch screen (like a smart phone). So, I've been using a Weathermeter that links to Strelok Pro on my phone. I'm simply not going to spend many hundreds of dollars on a device that has a tiny LCD screen with push-button arrows to navigate and make selections. No way.

But, something like what is pictured here? Yeah... I'm interested. We'll see how well it works and what it costs.
    I’ll say this about the Kestrel, it’s simplicity is why it can withstand some of the harsh conditions it can. When it’s too cold, even my iPhone can be touch and go. But I agree wholeheartedly with @TheGerman, we need a more consistent and universal interface standard with better weapon mounted capabilities.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In a world with the ever growing number of devices and programs, API's are critical in success. More pointedly, open API's that can allow modularly developed capabilities to integrate into other devices. No one (as a company) has the wherewithal to invest in a complete end-to-end solution and still meet an ROI profit margin that is acceptable. Better to define the niche you (the company) can fill, and insure it's adopted use by making it compatible with other devices; devices that other companies are willing (and able) to invest time and money for development.

The days of a single "system of systems" by one vendor are gone. Integrate or die a slow, lingering death by a thousand paper cuts.

I’ll say this about the Kestrel, it’s simplicity is why it can withstand some of the harsh conditions it can. When it’s too cold, even my iPhone can be touch and go.

Ah, that's a good point... about the ruggedness of the unit. I admit that, at this point, ruggedness has not been an issue for me... shooting prone in warm weather. I'm not running around on a PRS course, and "cold" in my area is when it dips below 75-degrees (Florida)! :p

I’ll say this about the Kestrel, it’s simplicity is why it can withstand some of the harsh conditions it can. When it’s too cold, even my iPhone can be touch and go. But I agree wholeheartedly with @TheGerman, we need a more consistent and universal interface standard with better weapon mounted capabilities.

Simplicity in use, yes. It's complexity in software and interfaces though, is what is killing it.

Reactions: gnatmm
    Just keep screaming loudly on theses posts and hopefully someone will listen to what WE want not what they give us. But it is Nice to see a possible rival to the Kestrel.

When you buy this please sell me your kestrel 5700 elite w/ link for $450. THis should be double if not triple, so you will not want both.

It is going to be open, Android based, so you can use whatever ballistic solver you prefer.

The Revic ballistic app is going to be super feature rich, so I think there’ll be a strong argument to utilize it. But if you don’t like it, run 4DOF, AB, Geo, whatever you like...

It is going to integrate with the suite of current and future Revic products.

I’ll try to get some more pics of some of the other HUD screens.

Nothing has been officially “marketed.” These we’re just a couple of quick pictures I snapped and got approval to “leak.”

The most non-official/official post can be found in the link Jorge just posted...

It is going to be open, Android based, so you can use whatever ballistic solver you prefer.

The Revic ballistic app is going to be super feature rich, so I think there’ll be a strong argument to utilize it. But if you don’t like it, run 4DOF, AB, Geo, whatever you like...

That's huge, IMO.

Will it be a touch screen? Or are the buttons at the bottom the way to navigate?

Does that pose a problem in colder weather? Like in the 10 and 20 degree F area

What would you want a Bluetooth compatible device like this to be able to do, in relation to LRF communication?
    If I’m using a non revic optic I want my LRF to be able to feed it the range so I can get a solition