• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s the luckiest shot that you have ever seen

rifleman1981

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
nw oklahoma
Here is my contribution, when I was about 17 I was shooting with my dad in our front yard just off of the North Canadian River, when a squirrel ran out into the plowed field below our house, about 230 steps away, I later stepped it off, he laid his 8 3/8 smith and wesson .22 pistol across the hood of my pickup, and I started laughing. I remember making the smart ass comment he's more apt to get struck by lightning than by your bullet, he shot and the squirrel just quit moving, I walked out to get the squirrel, whitch the .22 bullet never exited due to lack of energy and brought him back to the house, only to hear my dad make the smart ass comment back, ( I'll be dammed, its not even cloudy ) I guess everyone gets Lucky once in awhile.

Re: the luckiest shot that you have ever seen

I meant luckiest shot, not biggest bullshit claim, I mean witnessed firsthand

Luckiest shot.....that would be every one I've made so far as I don't have any kids yet
smile.gif

We were dove hunting in Argentina and I was taking a break and talking to some of the other guys when one of the guys said he was gonna see if he could make a dead dove fall on his buddy, so he shoots from the hip and the bird falls and smacks the guy in the back. It was too funny. We spent the rest of the day trying to hit each other with dead birds like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I meant luckiest shot, not biggest bullshit claim, I mean witnessed firsthand </div></div>

Gotcha
wink.gif

Duck and swan hunting with my uncle in Utah. A flight of swans went flying past a bit before sunset and my uncle came up with the 10ga and fired two shots. I thought there was no way they were within range, but a yearling crumpled and dropped like a sack of potatoes. I paced it off myself at 110yds to where it dropped, and it had one steel BB that entered the head straight into the tiny brain of the bird.

That evening when we were cleaning all the game up, we skinned the swan and didn't find another single pellet that penetrated. Of course he tried to brag it up like he meant to do that, but I think he had a Leprechaun in his pocket.

I must have been about 17 or 18 and my little brother about 12 or 13. We decided to go out coyote hunting one weekend during summer vacation. Both of us were packing .22 rifles, I think thats all we really had at the time. Anyway, we kicked up a few coyotes which decided to leave the country. They were so far away and running so fast I didn't even try to shoot at them. My little brother pulls up his Marlin .22 and pops off a shot. One of the coyotes went to cartwheeling and lay dead. Now this was a coyote at a full run and probably 400-500 yards away. Took a while to get up to him. He had a bullet hole right in the side of his temple. At that range the bullet didn't exit. I asked him where he was aiming and his reply was that he had no idea as he couldn't see it in his scope. That is by far the luckiest shot I have ever witnessed.

My dad was known for firearms related shenanigans. One hot summer day, a feral cat got stuck in our unfinished room above the garage, and dad had a thing for stray cats. He was a cop and must have been carrying a J frame smith on his ankle or something, I never saw where it came from, it just appeared in his hand.

That cat was running around the room at about the same rpm as a blender. Ol' pop, he proceeded to start squeezing shots off at this thing. With every miss, the cat got faster, and I presume deafer. I know I did. On the 5th and last shot in the cylinder, he actually connected. At this point, we have one dead cat, one deaf kid, one grinning father, and five bullet holes in the house. Why five? It turns out a cat doesn't even slow down a +P .38 at 5 yards.

Why, you may ask, is that the luckiest shot I've ever seen? Not because he hit the stupid cat but because he didn't hit me. Or the car. Or a neighbor.

hmmmm, would have been a lot less funny if he hit you. this reminds me of the episode of the simpsons where homer uses his revolver to do everything from opening beers, to changing the channel. yes, i am comparing your father to homer simpson.

first round hit on steel torso at 1185yds, timed steel safari match, didn't have enough MOA so held Mils (IOR MP8), kneeling offhand / DPMS .260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: battle-scarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm, would have been a lot less funny if he hit you. this reminds me of the episode of the simpsons where homer uses his revolver to do everything from opening beers, to changing the channel. yes, i am comparing your father to homer simpson. </div></div>

Agreed. I might have been exercising literary license in the telling of the tale...

last minute bow hunt across the street. Sitting in a 5 dollar Walmart chair almost on top of a deer trail. Hear a trotting noise and a deer runs right passed me. (less than 5 yards) Draw my bow back and the next one came running by seconds later at almost full speed. Pointed the bow, let go, and made a perfect gut shot! Found the deer about 150 yards away.

I was a young pup living Nome AK at the time working on a drill rig in the gold fields. One day my room mate and I are sitting on the couch and a big rat Nome was a haven for rats they would get off barges and ships coming & going . Well this rat comes out along the edge of the living room and Paul grabs a somewhat rare 5 barrel S&W model 27 357 from under the couch and goes to shoot this rat. I yell no dont shoot it Paul and he was raised around handguns and shot quit well and we had rat all over the living room it was plain nasty to clean up and being a hollow point it just exploded but years down the road it was sort of funny

i saw a guy shoot a bee out of the air with a rubber band.

My helper and I were building a porch for this couple a few years back. So this dove lands on the top rail of the swingset and sits there looking at us. I say to my helper, watch this. I hold up the framing nailer, sight over the top, hold back the wire plunger, and pull the trigger. The bird falls off the swingset, dead as a hammer, nail stuck in its head. We laughed until we realized what would happen if the customer came out and saw the bird, then we made a mad dash to hide it.

About 18 years ago I was deer hunting with my cousin. Being the great white hunters that we were, we decided to stalk a deer or two. We jumped two does, who ran away from us up a steep ridge. So I shoulder my SKS(yeah top of the line weapon), and sent a 123gr. Ballistic tip on its way. She was 75 yards out, and I actually had the crosshairs on the base of her neck when I fired. Unbeknownst to me, she was at the apex of her jump, and by the time the bullet arrived it impacted the base of her skull at a strong upward angle. We both saw the spray as she dropped. This all took about three or four seconds. To this day, my cousins all think I was aiming at the head on a leaping deer, standing offhand, and made meat.
grin.gif

Iron Sighted Savage 99 in 308. 175 yard uphill offhand shot. Clean head shot.

Too Dumb at the time to know not to take such a shot.

Bestest was an iron sighted Remington rolling block in 22 hornet. I was dared to try and hit a dragonfly on a stalk of a thistle at about 80 yards. Dead center hit.

BMT

My dad stuck a Tomahawk at 30 feet on his first throw. We had a bet he could'nt do it......cost me a hundred bucks.

Many years ago me and a couple friends were in my truck riding down a gravel road on top of the Mississippi River levee. I was driving and off to my left we saw a egret flying along at about the same speed maybe 50 yards away. The guy sitting in the middle grabbed my Ruger Mark II, leaned across me and took a shot at it while we were still going about 30 mph. DRT. Went and looked at it and it was hit in the side of the head.

When I was 7 and my neighbor was 8 we were doing our usual terrorizing the local bird population with our daisy BB guns. We got tired and sat down on a slope in the cow pasture. A pair of crows flew towards us and my buddy says "I bet I can hit one". Of course I said "let's see it". Well the crows flew over us maybe 35 yds up quatering away and he shoots. Damn if he didn't knock that crow down with a head shot shooting a 3MOA at 30' Daisy. We still laugh about that today 35 years later. Best shot I have ever seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My helper and I were building a porch for this couple a few years back. So this dove lands on the top rail of the swingset and sits there looking at us. I say to my helper, watch this. I hold up the framing nailer, sight over the top, hold back the wire plunger, and pull the trigger. The bird falls off the swingset, dead as a hammer, nail stuck in its head. We laughed until we realized what would happen if the customer came out and saw the bird, then we made a mad dash to hide it.

</div></div>

That story reminds me of the second luckiest shot I've ever seen. (The first was the cat in the attic above) Actually, it was a series of about 5 lucky shots.

My wife and I were building our home back in '94. I forget exactly what we were doing, but for some reason we had both a framing nailer and a brad nailer aired up. She informed me that she was going off to play volleyball instead of staying to help me work for the 122nd night in a row. That's when the fight started. It escalated to the point where we were shooting nailers at each other. Being the sensible guy I am, I got the framer. To my surprise, my wife figured out how to defeat the safety on the brad nailer and was actually able to return fire. I probably got 5 or 6 shots off before common sense prevailed and we both went back to just yelling.

Damn lucky I didn't hit her. She'd have strangled me in my sleep.

the luckiest shot ive ever seen is the one that didnt hit me. i was 12 and my much dumber now in prision friend was 13. he found his dads old .38 revolver and brought it out into the yard to show me (his parents sheltered him from such things.) i told him that he doesnt need to be messing with it and to put it back or im leaving. while walking away to put it back he was aparently trying to figure out how to open the cylinder and fired it. i was leaning up against the brick side of the house reading something, when i heard the shot and felt it hit the wall between my left elbow and my rib cage. that was about it, i called him an idiot and walked the few miles home and we never really hung out ever again.

still to this day, everything i hear about this guy is linked to some kind of stupidity.

I was probably about 8 or 9 growing up in South Florida. The luckiest shot I saw was my one friend who was about a year older than me had a bb gun and we were sitting on his front porch doing the typical kid thing and trying to find birds to shoot. Well one of the small lizards that are all over down there appeared on his moms decoration windmill about 30 feet away. He was like watch I am going to shoot the lizard well he fired and low and behold we walked over to it and had slit the lizards throat with the bb.

My Dad, 3 uncles and my Grandpa all used to do a lot of dove hunting before the concrete crept in. Was hunting with my Grandpa walking along the edge of a tree line when about a couple birds flew in front of us at a high rate of speed. Grandpa was the only one to get a shot off, and he only got one, the bird flew head first into the trunk of one of the trees. I thought he had hit the bird and momentum carried it into the tree but we picked him up and he was never hit. Guess he got rattled, lost his cool and crashed and burned. Only man I ever saw kill a bird that he missed when shooting at it.

We also used to fill up empty gallon paint cans with water, tap the lids back on and bust them at range with hi-po rifles, makes an awesome explosion. I told my dad he couldn't hit one at 100 yards with his Beretta 92, he took the bet and centered it a little low with his first shot of the day with the pistol. He was propped up on the toolbox of his truck but I still didn't think the Beretta could do it.

Second greatest shot....We were dove hunting about 5 years ago and my hunting buddy was going out to retrieve a bird when a set came in to the field. He shot all three shells and 5 doves fell out of the sky. He picked up 3 and came back in to the area we were hiding with a big $%^& eatin' grin on his face. We had to tell him there were 2 more out in the field...then his head did swell. The beauty of a skeet choke and low flying birds on a cool southern morning.

On a hunting trip we were all standing in a group making hunting plans when a corrie bustard flew overhead.(A bird the size of a Egyptian goose).
My dad said to us watch this and cocked his 300H&H and took a shot at the bird flying about 200m away. It came crashing down, shot through the head!
Best is that generally speaking he was not a great shot.

A few of us were shooting our 22's prone on the local clubs indoor range. Whenever you turn the heat on in the building all of the flys "wake up". The guy shooting next to me tells me there is a fly on my target and he will buy lunch if I can hit it. One shot and he was buying. Not a bad shot considering I had iron sights on the gun and could just make out the fly on the beige portion of the target. I might still
have that target stashed around here somewhere.

Another time I made an 85 yd. shot on a moving ground hog with my 3" Kimber carry gun. Had a witness for that one or I might not have believed it.

On a hunting trip a few of us where standing at the bottom of a ravine, ready to pack up. next thing we spot a bushpig running out the top of the ravine. Which is a rare sight as they are mostly nocturnal. I would have to lie if I told you how far it was, but it was just a black speck. One guy throws the bolt aims and fires. And the black spot stops, then rolls into the bush. One heck of a hike through brush and rocks to get to the spot. There it lay, stone dead. The bullet only had enough energy left to penetrate the heart. Definately was not that pig's day!