• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The man who shot Bin Laden speaks

Re: The man who shot Bin Laden speaks

retirement benefits start at 20 years, not 16. get out before 20, there's no retirement bennies unless it's a medical retirement.

it's also not the chain of command's responsibility to find a job for a servicemember when they decide to get out. just as it will be my responsibility, not my first sergeant's or anyone else's, to find a job when I get out.

i know it makes me sound like a dick, and believe me he and all his shipmates are damn incredible individuals deserving of a lot more than what they do in fact get. but in this case, i'm sorry, it's not someone else's responsibility to take care of him if he chooses to get out before being eligible for retirement benefits, nor is it anyone else's responsibility to find him a job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armed Ferret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">retirement benefits start at 20 years, not 16. get out before 20, there's no retirement bennies unless it's a medical retirement.

it's also not the chain of command's responsibility to find a job for a servicemember when they decide to get out. just as it will be my responsibility, not my first sergeant's or anyone else's, to find a job when I get out.

i know it makes me sound like a dick, and believe me he and all his shipmates are damn incredible individuals deserving of a lot more than what they do in fact get. but in this case, i'm sorry, it's not someone else's responsibility to take care of him if he chooses to get out before being eligible for retirement benefits, nor is it anyone else's responsibility to find him a job.</div></div>

I'll have to agree for the most part. When you sign up, you are volunteering to go through this. Obviously everyone knows or at least realizes this while they are in. Some stay in, some get out, but everyone knows what they face when they do have to go back to where they were. I think we have a TON of resources and benefits that offer us plenty of chances to be successful upon completion of active duty. I'm using mine now, and have absolutely no complaints. I'm making a good 60% less money than I did while I was in, but hey, I chose to get out and go to school, for free.

I will say, it does suck a ton getting out with no marketable skills that correspond to a direct career field, especially for these guys who really can't market half the shit they truly possess. Sometimes it seems the most heroic of those in the military are bound to be the most ordinary of civilians...

I didn't do half the shit these guys have, and for that, I respect them. But in the end, we are all serving the same government and all chose to do it.

Surely a guy like this would be snapped up by the Police force , Coast guard , Customs , Prisons department , NSA , CIA , FBI to name a few.
He needs to get some applications in to any of the Government services that are hiring . Might have to take lower pay while training but a Navy Seal should get through easy .
If he has done 16 years then why not just do the 20 years and get the pension then look for a better job or stay on the pension and work on the side .

I may be incorrect, but could he not join a reserve unit and pick up his next few years for retirement. I would think a fortune 500 company would pick him up in a heartbeat for security purposes either on a personal or corporate level. This guy deserves everyones accolades and would be an asset to any large company or even as a motivational example to others.
I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he and his family have a great future ahead for what he and others like him have given to this country.

well it's not exactly like he can put "i shot osama bin laden in the god damned face" on his resume....

that said, how do people in the spec-ops community NOT know about shooterjobs.com? old HS pard who went ODA told me about it cause he knows i'm cleared and getting out in a year and a half, and it's more than just jobs for ex-SF types. you'd think any former SEAL would have no trouble finding TONS of offers there...

He can market his skills for good money esp coming out of Seal team 6. People with his background are in high demand in a lot of places.

I feel for him but like was said, if you quit early you don't get squat and we all know it going in. As someone else said, go to a reserve unit and pick up your extra four years and in some federal jobs your military time counts for your retirement too.

I can understand being burned out but it was a bad choice on his part. Maybe he should reenlist for the final four then get out.

The pension, healthcare and employment are one thing, but in this instance not to give protection to this guy or the whole team for that matter seems rather questionable. He may have screwed the pooch on any protection from this point forward by coming out, albeit half way with this article.

The story sounds made up. How do you not know how your health insurance or retirement works after having been in for 16 years. Our tier I guys aren't retards and didn't get where they are by bemoaning how unfair life is. I think the author cooked the whole thing for his own reasons.

I have to imagine this is made up. The only seal I ever saw was across the room at the JROTC 3P western region championship. Even based solely upon that encounter, I have to imagine these are disproportionately serious dudes who as a rule do not bitch and moan about their circumstances.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/11/seal-who-killed-bin-laden-now-jobless/?intcmp=HPBucket

It doesn't seem likely that he would have not known about medical. These guys tend to be the smartest people in the military. I don't know any SEALs. However, I have friends that were SF guys and they are not stupid. Also, the article I posted above mentions that he is eligibly for 5 years of health care services through Department of Veterans Affairs.

On to the retirement thing. I am sure that he and his family made that choice. After doing what he did for 16 years. Well let's just say that's a long time to be a way from your family. I believe he should have changed his MOS and finished out his 4 years. In my opinion the benefits out weigh the down side of doing something you don't like for a short period of time.

I wish him and his family the best.

Not buying the story.....ST6 member with $millions invested in various schools, skill sets, extremely intelligent,and somehow he has no employment/resources, other than driving a beer truck in Milwaukee?

Seems like an agenda driven piece to me.

Yeah there's something not passing smell test here. He alluded to not wanting to carry a gun for a living and I can respect that considering what he's been through but there's other jobs within the Navy in fact most that never touch a gun.

Would think he could have gone diver and rode out his 20 at NEDU or NASA.

Doubt we will ever know the whole story so it's hard to tell what's really going on with this.

I hire a bunch of veterans into my company which does turnarounds for hospitals...all the obamacare nonsense. Also, hired a bunch when i was with Booz Allen Hamilton (obviously).

Additionally, I work with a charity called HireHeroes that continues to help hundreds and hundreds of vets get really good jobs.

Many employers look for hard workers, people who don't run from adversity, good decision making skills, and the ability to be malleable, etc. You can't easily teach that. I can, however, teach them everything they need to know about healthcare quite easily. Show me a soldier, seaman, airman, whatever, with those skills and they will invariably be successful.

My point: if he wanted to find a job there are great resources. I also work with a couple of ST6 guys (medically retired) who are built in hard chargers. They would NOT take this approach, ever. No handouts. This whole story just seems odd.

This does not pass the stink test at all.He is VERY marketable without saying he was on the raid.
That raid while one of the most important in our countries history is only 1 of hundreds that he and the other SEALS Delta etc have done in their careers.He has experience and you usually don't get into ST6 being a Dickhead. They also all know each other and heve their own "networks" that they can operate in and take care of each other in retirement
If he needs the money and medical re-enlist and finish out the last 4

Glad you guys are skeptical of this. I thought it was just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyrotechnic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The story sounds made up. How do you not know how your health insurance or retirement works after having been in for 16 years. Our tier I guys aren't retards and didn't get where they are by bemoaning how unfair life is. I think the author cooked the whole thing for his own reasons.

</div></div>

Bingo. I think this writer mostly interviewed himself.