• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

One of the two or three best Westerns ever made?

John Ford's tribute to the closing of the frontier. Such an incredible movie on so many levels.

Fight me.

Sirhr
Yu gots dat rite, Nigga.

Jimmy Stewart was a bomber pilot over Germany. Retired as a Brigadier General, I believe.

Lee Marvin fought with the Marines in the Pacific and got shot.

You can see it in their eyes like youll never see it in Travolta's or Baldwin's (cough cough).

And the ending.

Great movie, might watch it tonight.

Reactions: crackerbrown
John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. One personified the American hero archetype. One flew bombers over Germany in WWII. What did John Wayne do?

Never was a John Twang fan. Couldn't fathom true WWII vets participating in a war film with his sorry ass--The Longest Day comes to mind immediately. I don't care what anyone says, that mofo dodged the draft. Ifn he'da wanted to serve, he had the status to push his way through. Even John Ford urged him to serve; hell Humphrey Bogart at 43 years old tried to serve. But not John Twang...

and this might have been one of his better Westerns, but I wouldn't rank it as "one of three best" Westerns.

Way out in front in no particular order, I'd have:

High Noon
Shane
Once Upon a Time in the West (the One that killed the Western genre for 30+ years)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Tombstone
Unforgiven

and maybe even
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
For A Few Dollars More
Open Range
Dances with Wolves

No insult intended towards Vera Miles, Woody Strode, or Jimmy Stewart.

Reactions: diverdon
Never was a John Twang fan. Couldn't fathom true WWII vets participating in a war film with his sorry ass--The Longest Day comes to mind immediately. I don't care what anyone says, that mofo dodged the draft. Ifn he'da wanted to serve, he had the status to push his way through. Even John Ford urged him to serve; hell Humphrey Bogart at 43 years old tried to serve. But not John Twang...

and this might have been one of his better Westerns, but I wouldn't rank it as "one of three best" Westerns.

High Noon
Shane
Once Upon a Time in the West (the One that killed the Western genre for 30+ years)
Tombstone
Unforgiven

and maybe even
For A Few Dollars More
Open Range
Dances with Wolves
Yes to the first two, the others, not so much.

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
For A Few Dollars More
Unforgiven
A Fistful Of Dollars
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider

High Noon
Shane
Tombstone
Unforgiven

and maybe even
For A Few Dollars More
Open Range
Dances with Wolves

No insult intended towards Vera Miles, Woody Strode, or Jimmy Stewart.
Sorry to bust your anti Wayne bubble… but he dodged nothing.

He was 35 when America entered the war and married with kids. He was outside draft age and family status made him ineligible.

However he attempted to enlist and get his status changed to 1a, but his studio prevented it, much to Wayne’s anger.

He wrote to Bill Donovan and asked for an OSS billet, which he was granted. But his ex wife hid the acceptance letter from him. So he didn’t find out about it when it came down the pipe.

He then toured in the South Pacific with the USO and asked MacArthur personally why his OSS application did not go through. MacArthur cabled Donovan. At which point Donovan got Wayne into John Ford’s OSS film unit where he served using his acting and publicity skills.

He never got a combat assignment or wore an Army or Navy or Marine uniform. But not for lack of trying. And he busted his ass for the cause in WW2 and tried hard to get in uniform.

No he didn’t fly like Jimmy Stewart or Clark Gable or many others. Or land at Iwo Jima or a Normandy. But not because he didn’t try.

Don’t let the Commie Hollywood revisionists try to take away Wayne’s patriotism or his service. Not for one second. The left has trashed Wayne since Vietnam and has tried to ruin his legacy by, among other things, painting him as a draft dodger. Pardon my French but…. Bullshit.

As for your movie choices… lots of good ones! Once Upon a Time in the West is my number one. With For a Few Dollars More and Liberty Valance tied in number 2. Shane probably 3. Along with about 5 others.

Sirhr

I like Jimmy Stewart. But this movie? Is it possible to be great and boring at the same time?

I like Jimmy Stewart. But this movie? Is it possible to be great and boring at the same time?
It, and many (most?) westerns of the era, is certainly slow. And, by todays standard, its a certified snooze fest. But, back then, story was cheap and effects were expensive. Now, you can't buy a story will all the money in Hollywood, but effects are cheap...

Had your supper yet, Peabody?

One of my favorite westerns and one of the more believable rolls John Wayne played.

The Picket Wire was an actual river, not sure if it's called that now, located in SE Colo.

Sorry to bust your anti Wayne bubble… but he dodged nothing.

He was 35 when America entered the war and married with kids. He was outside draft age and family status made him ineligible.

However he attempted to enlist and get his status changed to 1a, but his studio prevented it, much to Wayne’s anger.

He wrote to Bill Donovan and asked for an OSS billet, which he was granted. But his ex wife hid the acceptance letter from him. So he didn’t find out about it when it came down the pipe.

He then toured in the South Pacific with the USO and asked MacArthur personally why his OSS application did not go through. MacArthur cabled Donovan. At which point Donovan got Wayne into John Ford’s OSS film unit where he served using his acting and publicity skills.

He never got a combat assignment or wore an Army or Navy or Marine uniform. But not for lack of trying. And he busted his ass for the cause in WW2 and tried hard to get in uniform.

No he didn’t fly like Jimmy Stewart or Clark Gable or many others. Or land at Iwo Jima or a Normandy. But not because he didn’t try.

Don’t let the Commie Hollywood revisionists try to take away Wayne’s patriotism or his service. Not for one second. The left has trashed Wayne since Vietnam and has tried to ruin his legacy by, among other things, painting him as a draft dodger. Pardon my French but…. Bullshit.

As for your movie choices… lots of good ones! Once Upon a Time in the West is my number one. With For a Few Dollars More and Liberty Valance tied in number 2. Shane probably 3. Along with about 5 others.

Sirhr
Once Upon a Time in the West was / is my favorite western. I saw it when it came out in the theater in 68' when I was in Jr. High and have grown old watching it, so much so Harmonica's aloof but focused character influenced and shaped my own demeanor. The final gunfight scene was the ultimate Hollywood gunfight.

My other all time favorite was Liberty Valance. One Eyed Jacks, directed and starring Marlon Brando as well as Nevada Smith are on that short list.

John Twang a draft-dodger?? Ok. Maybe "dodge" isn't the right word... maybe 'avoid' fits. And actually, John was still service-age. He was 34 by about half a year when the war started. And he didn't push to enlist, he allowed Republic Studios to file for a hardship exemption claiming he was a sole provider. His "fall back" claim was that he had a bad knee from his USC football days. Funny how that didn't stop him from riding a horse throughout his cinematic career. But full military service just wasn't in his cards...

John Ford's claimed in his bio that he essentially begged Wayne to get personally involved in the efforts to serve the country militarily, thinking that his avoidance would hurt his career if his dragging feet became public common knowledge. To no avail. Wayne let the studio handle his "enlistment efforts".

For a man who supposedly made such enthusiastic and devoted attempts to join the military (or at least, his fans claim that), John Wayne sure made the most of his opportunity in Hollywood while other age-eligible "leading men" left to serve. In 1942 alone, despite his full calendar and his devoted all-consuming attempts to enlist (in which he found the time to 'inspire the country' :rolleyes: with his role in "The Flying Tigers"), he found the time to *star* in six more movies that year--meanwhile, Jimmy Stewart, a year younger, famously was the first Hollywood star to enlist (and campaign for front-line service). JIMMY, not John, fulfilled his personal sense of duty when he was 36... he flew his first bomber mission over Germany at 36; and was promoted to major when he was almost 37 (still in front line service). Of course Jimmy was a single solitary example of TRUE patriotism. We can't count the likes of Humphrey Bogart; who was refused re-enlistment because of his age (41). And volunteering his boat and weekly "patrol" service in the Coast Guard doesn't count for patriotism at 44yr of age. Yeah, right. One wonders if John Wayne made his USO appearances because he was shamed into it by Humphrey Bogart's Africa tours...

But just to be fair, we'll allow that one of the movies John starred in may have been "in the can" before its' release in 1942--that still means that he made at least six of his movies in 1942 while the American public waited with bated breath for John Wayne. That film production doesn't count the eight more films he made between '43-45. HELL, his last military 'service', "They Were Expendable" began filming in early 1945. Maybe he thought his film "service" compensatory for failing to make a bona fide attempt to serve. As was pointed out, he DID petition for OSS service two years after the war broke out in 1943, when guilt and reputation probably finally weighed on him... erroneously listing his home address (at his ex-wife's) and all. One wonders why it took 2-1/2 years to find his patriotic enthusiasms. Those of us who aren't enthralled by his reputation think differently of him.

By the way, it wasn't Vietnam nor the "left" or "Commie Hollywood revisionists" who woke me to John's works, it was my father. He served in Europe during the war. I can remember in grammar school asking about something in a John Wayne war movie... I was in 7th grade by 1962, so my father's answer was "pure"--no Vietnam, no left, no revisionists... "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!! WE'RE NOT WATCHING THAT MAN IN A WAR MOVIE! HE NEVER FOUGHT!" I never ever forgot that; the vehemence he felt about John Wayne's image, 'way back when none of us kids knew of a "leftist" view.

Last edited:
John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart in the same movie..... (how lucky can we be)
Truly a GREAT movie, was it The Dukes best, hard to tell; was it Jimmy's Best.. Hard to tell.
Each of these powerhouses had some GREAT damn movies.
One of John's Ford's Greatest.. and with so many great ones, that's like being surrounded by a bunch of naked 10's on a desert island, and trying to rank them.
Just be grateful and get to work.:cool:

original with brenner,mcqueen,bronson et al was what i meant. actually had big # of big stars of the time. the recent one was ridiculous. yes,a rip off of kurosawa like a bunch of american movies. high noon commie prop? don't see it but maybe with a reach. commie prop? anything by disney from bambi forward.

Last edited:
I see all these best westerns ,,yet no....
The Professionals..
Valdez is Coming
The Wild Bunch.

<snip>
Valdez is Coming
<snip>

Two of my favorite movie quotes come from "Valdez is Coming" and "Hombre".

"Sharps. Or some kind of buffalo gun... or a cannon. He can shoot, an' he know when to move... and we have lost five more."

I am always amazed that on this website, whenever guys wanna name their best movie quote, no one ever quotes this sniper line... smh.

and the other I favor:

"Cicero Grimes, meet John Russell." (Hombre)

i agree it is a great movie.
in that same genre, i also recommend The Tin Star.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was great. Can't count the times that I have watched it. Everyone wants to mention John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart, but they forget the performance of Lee Marvin. I think he is one of my favorite villians. I also will put Bruce Dern from "The Cowboys" in that group of villians.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-145725_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-145725_Samsung Internet.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Two of my favorite movie quotes come from "Valdez is Coming" and "Hombre".

"Sharps. Or some kind of buffalo gun... or a cannon. He can shoot, an' he know when to move... and we have lost five more."

I am always amazed that on this website, whenever guys wanna name their best movie quote, no one ever quotes this sniper line... smh.

and the other I favor:

"Cicero Grimes, meet John Russell." (Hombre)
Hombre was a good movie. The black and white still photo at the end of the movie depicting a half white John Russell as a boy on the reservation was based on an actual photo taken of a white child taken captive and raised by Apaches.

Reactions: 101st
From the very first time I watched this movie I thought two things. How unappreciative the world was of Woody Strode and his abilities, and
What a change of perspective to have the vaunted John Wayne shoot the bad guy from behind. And to have him come all unglued about losing a woman to an educated man. No, too many wrong things with this movie to really enjoy it. Big Jake was better, and The Shootist was even better than that.

From the very first time I watched this movie I thought two things. How unappreciative the world was of Woody Strode and his abilities, and
What a change of perspective to have the vaunted John Wayne shoot the bad guy from behind. And to have him come all unglued about losing a woman to an educated man. No, too many wrong things with this movie to really enjoy it. Big Jake was better, and The Shootist was even better than that.
Tom Doniphon (John Wayne) plugging his arch rival Liberty Valence from ambush and tossing his rifle to his man Pompy like he had dispatched a rabid wolf after getting his heart broken by losing his girl to the educated Stewart was about as real life as it gets. Men back then on the frontier weren't players, there weren't that many available females to play the field.

It showed what sacrifice John Wayne would make, in this case committing cold blooded murder as he said himself, to protect the happiness of his lost love Hally. A smaller man would have let Valence kill his competition.

Reactions: Ichi
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was great. Can't count the times that I have watched it. Everyone wants to mention John Wayne and Jimmy Sewart, but they forget the performance of Lee Marvin. I think he is one of my favorite villians. I also will put Bruce Dern from "The Cowboys" in that group of villians.
Lee Marvin wasnt acting, he was the real deal. I added the red print and LOLOL

Military service[edit]​

World War II[edit]​

Picture of Private Lee Marvin, USMC, as listed in the "Red Book", 24th Regiment, 4th Marine Division, published in 1943
Marvin left school at 18 to enlist in the United States Marine Corps Reserve on August 12, 1942. He served with the 4th Marine Division in the Pacific Theater during World War II.[6] While serving as a member of "I" Company, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division, he was wounded in action on June 18, 1944, during the assault on Mount Tapochau in the Battle of Saipan, during which most of his company were casualties.[7] He was hit by machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve,[8] and then was hit again in the foot by a sniper.[9] After over a year of medical treatment in naval hospitals, Marvin was given a medical discharge with the rank of private first class. He previously held the rank of corporal, but had been demoted for troublemaking.LOLOL[9]

Marvin's decorations include the Purple Heart Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, the World War II Victory Medal, and the Combat Action Ribbon.[10]

Medals and ribbons[edit]​

Reactions: BAMCIS and Ichi
I always thought "The Shootist" was his best movie; I never liked the "I'm John Wayne in your face" persona that seemed to make him so cinematically popular with the public. Oddly, I didn't mind his views/persona/or projection of character in real-life interviews whatsoever, but you'll have to allow me my discrepancies. A real decent Wayne runner-up is "The Cowboys", where Bruce Dern shined even in a type-cast stereotypical role(for him) as a dirtbag bad guy.

As to Woody Strode and his abilities, one of the most enjoyable books I've read is his 'autobiography', "Goal Dust ". Strode claimed (and it seems, by his numerous appearances in Ford movies) John Ford and he were extremely close friends. He was hired for "Spartacus" because he was one of the few actors with a physique formidable enough to withstand hanging upside down for the protracted length of time Kirk Douglas anticipated was needed to shoot the hanging scene (after the death of the black gladiator) in "Spartacus". That physique landed him another role... (and intimidated John Wayne during filming of "Liberty Valance" when he almost got into a fight with Wayne for smiling or laughing [as I recall] when Ford (mostly) and Marvin were riding Wayne for his lack of war service. At least, that's what Strode claimed--something like, "John Ford cautioned Wayne with, don't tangle with him, he'll mop the floor with you", and Wayne backed off. All three, Strode, Ford, & Marvin had served in some capacity.) Anyway, the other role...

Sergio Leone hired him for "Once Upon a Time in the West" for two reasons--Leone loved John Ford's movies and his Woody Strode characters, and wanted to pay homage to both AND he wanted an actor who could fall when he was "shot" and not cushion or break his fall with his hands or arms, so that the death scene would look "realistic"; and thus, Woody Strode 'guest starred' in "Once Upon a Time in the West". He said it was the best and most exposure he ever received on the screen; he even talked about how long Leone held him in close-up (to the second, as I recall). He really appreciated that homage.

Last edited:
Never knw about him, thanks for the share.

Woody Strode​

1684673231113.png
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Woody_Strode

Woody Strode from en.wikipedia.org
Woodrow Wilson Woolwine Strode (July 25, 1914 – December 31, 1994) was an American actor, football player and author. He was a decathlete and football star ...
Kalai Strode · ‎Sergeant Rutledge · ‎Hubert Julian "Jay" Stowitts

Other The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance trivia, Andy Devine, who played the baffoonish town sheriff of Shinbone, wasn't a baffoon in real life but was actually a star athelete and college football player that went on to play semi-pro football.

Struther Martin was a high platform diver that gave up a chance to compete in the Olympics when he joined the Navy as a swimming instructor.

Jimmy Stewart was a brigadier general in the Army Air Force and flew as an observer in B-52 runs including Operation Arc Light in Vietnam.

Woody Strode, who played Pompey, claimed Jimmy Stewart was uncomfortable around him because he was black and that all white people were inherently racist. He was also in the Army Air Force and one of the first blacks to play in the NFL.

He also claimed Director John Ford picked on John Wayne because he didn't serve in WWII.

Last edited:
I always wondered if there were any disputes over who got top billing between James Stewart or John Wayne both were huge actors

Reactions: Maggot
I wouldn't say John Wayne shot Valance in the back but in the chest, heart area at an angle from the front. The bullet would have probably passed through and hit somebody in the Mexican cantina.

In any event, as Tom Doniphon himself said, it was cold blooded murder.

If Tom Doniphon would have stepped in on Ranse's (Jimmy Stewart) behalf and killed Valance in a fair fight it would have won Halley back but John Ford intentionally prevented that scenario when Valance told Wayne "You stay out of this Doniphon. He's been hiding behind your gun long enough."

A lesser man would have let Valance kill his girl's new love interest or tried to steal his glory by challenging Valance himself.

Reactions: rdog52