• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Mecum Auction: Kissimmee. Prices are insane!

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    I'm watching the Mecum auction and the prices are fucking insane!

I just saw a 69 Camaro get bid to $750,000 and NOT sell.

1705142549839.jpeg

This Ford GT sold for nearly $7,000,000!

And Saturday hasn't started yet.

To be fair, that car is pretty well known....it's a 1-of-1 from Baldwin-motion...nit a random ass camaro

$750k is a crazy price to not sell at...no way it's going to crack $1m.....it's not like it was owned by steve McQueen.
    It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't get $750,000+ valuation but...

I think the collectors car market has just adjusted to the new inflation. And it's insane to me. I guess I've finally hit the old man phase. 🧓

Last edited:
    Reactions: 346ci
    The car's value is not a determining factor, people bid to show who has the bigger wallet. Most of the time you could have one built yourself for less then what you bid on those crazy numbers.

Keep in mind most of these high dollar cars will never be driven, they are investments that they are counting on to increase in value.

Keep in mind most of these high dollar cars will never be driven, they are investments that they are counting on to increase in value.
    That is true. But investing the same amount of money in traditional investments, i.e. real estate, generally yields much more. Most of these cars take many years to appreciate any real gains.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy watching and wish I had the means to "invest" in some of the collector cars. My point in starting the thread is the huge increase in value most of these cars realized in the past few years. So, I guess some of them might have been a very good investment several years ago when the collector car market seemed to be declining in value.

That is true. But investing the same amount of money in traditional investments, i.e. real estate, generally yields much more. Most of these cars take many years to appreciate any real gains.

Screenshot_20240113-133035.png

There's some real money to be had in this market for smart investors. Whether or not that's reflected in recent transactions is anyone's guess.

There has been a lot of hand-wringing about the effects of the upcoming Boomer die-off on this market, but Gen X has shown up to pay retarded values for a number of different cars from the 1970s-2000s so we're going to kick that can down the road another twenty years.

I'm watching the Mecum auction and the prices are fucking insane!

I just saw a 69 Camaro get bid to $750,000 and NOT sell.

View attachment 8321789

This Ford GT sold for nearly $7,000,000!

And Saturday hasn't started yet.

I "sorta", not really, get the GT-40. They only made like 31 street ready versions of them for homoginization reasons but still crazy!
    It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't get $750,000+ valuation but...

I think the collectors car market has just adjusted to the new inflation. And it's insane to me. I guess I've finally hit the old man phase. 🧓

Hell... That money better get me a '69 ZL-1 (#'s matching and MINT!) or a COPO! Haggerty's says a '69 Yenko in good condition is worth about $300K.

People are paying 200k for sealed mario brothers nintendo tapes. Thats insane

The other night they did have a red 71 raod runner 383 4 speed go for like 45k. I used to have one of them except mine was an automatic column shifter.

I used to banh my girlfriend in the back bemch seat. My dad bought it new and i got it when i was 17

Fuck me, i am a poor.

Not if you happen to have a large barn full of rust-free square-body GM trucks, 3rd-gen Camaros, and Fox-body Mustangs.

The fact that malaise-era junk is getting unaffordable is really sad.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    When you can go into a dealership and buy a new 1 ton truck for between 50k and 100k, why is anyone surprised?

I remember Grandpa buying his 1990 Chevy as a hail damage special for $8k.

That same truck would still sell for $8k if it wasn't for the rust in the rockers from the old man luverne running boards.