• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing The money you guys have cost me…

new_guy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
USA
I started down the path of a 308 suppressed hog rifle and started doing some reading over here at the Hide.

I thought an OTC Rem would work, but I then began reading the reports here about the 5R. Stop by the local gun shop, and they’ve got one on the shelf.

After a couple of days handling the rifle, I just can’t live with the short grip of the factory stock, so it has to go.

McMillan had an olive HTG in the “specials” section of their website.

It doesn’t take long before I see Murphy’s banner at the top of the page, and of course I gotta have a matching base.

Next is the bottom metal… So I go on the quest (and a quest it was) and track down a new Williams SS triggerguard. In for a penny, in for a pound, right?

Now that all the parts are in one place, the stock and barreled action are out for bedding.

I was able to sell the factory stock, but I’m afraid to add up all that I’ve put into my “hog” rifle.

I’m not even considering the cost of the suppressor.

Plus the $200 I put in the mail yesterday with the Form 4.

308_1.jpg

Re: The money you guys have cost me…

bug bit me a few months ago, yep costs alot

Hmmmmm lets see.
Remington 700 SS 5R in 308....My local guy sold it to me for $1195

Controlled Chaos Arms Bed and Paint job.......$220

Harris SM Bipod from local guy...$110

US Optics Rail mount AntiCant Optics Planet $98 +-

AccuShot Monopod with Tac Cap $107 +-

Schmidt and Bender 5-25X56 PMII with Sunshade Euro Optics $3259

AICS 2.0 Folding Stock Green Euro Optics $1108.18 (with UPS Overnight) Ordered today

Cyclone Suppressor local gun guy papers sent off today $1150 +-

So...that much math makes my head hurt. Can someone total this rifle up for me? lol

Patrick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7200 bucks, not too shabby </div></div>

Geesh,
I probably could have had a fairly decent custom rig made for that.

I need to lock away the check book. Man, no wonder I am always broke.

Patrick

Your not done yet, you need to have a new trigger and bolt knob installed while it is out for bedding.

It's only the beginning, every time I get on this site I see something else that I "need." On the other hand you have a great investment that you can derive an almost unmeasurable amount of pleasure from. With the economy the way it is it's not a bad investment in terms of holding its value either, at least I use that as an excuse to justify my purchases
smile.gif
Nice setup btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your not done yet, you need to have a new trigger and bolt knob installed while it is out for bedding. </div></div>

I forgot the Jewell trigger that I had put in the other day.

Should I bed the AICS?

Patrick

ETA @ new guy
I am sorry. It appears I hijacked your thread :'(

Dont bed an AICS. Its a waste of money. It was meant to be a drop in system. =)

Unless you just want to round that $7200 up =)

new guy, welcome to the group. We all share your addiction. Enjoy.

Buying them is the cheap part. Wanting to build them is like buying a boat to catch a fish. It would be a lot cheaper to just buy the fish.

So sayeth the guy that just spent $540 on a new chuck for his lathe, $100 on a threading toolholder, a bunch on form tools.........and is now eyeballing more machines.......

Is there an intervention for this?

This is an expensive habit, no doubt. But, anytime you think it is too horrible, I'll let'cha write the check for the engine overhaul that I will need soon on my 1955 Piper Tripacer. You would think that a 4 cylinder air cooled engine that has been in production since the 40's wouldn't be that big of a deal, but DAMN! Put "FAA certified" on it, and watch out!!!

I started this addiction 3 yrs ago. If you dont have kids, wife, house then you can fuel your addiction much easier.

Airplanes make pretty much all the other toys look inexpensive. Even boats are cheap to own compared to an airplane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Airplanes make pretty much all the other toys look inexpensive. Even boats are cheap to own compared to an airplane. </div></div>

Don't look at helicopters then.

Yes, helicopters are much worse than fixed. No argument there! When I posted, I was thinking all man carrying aircraft, but I didn't say that...

Not only are those nice components, but the picture you have taken makes the setup look really stunning. It is naturally nice looking, without being too "look at me!".

LOL...you hven't even mentioned reloading yet...
...another cha-ching!
wink.gif

Stock Remmy bolt knobs SUCK,might as well have the action blueprinted while you are at it!!! Save on the down time.

BTW,did somebody already mention a trigger?...........

Helicopters are in the domain of the really rich folks (or the government).

Fuck the money and enjoy! One thing is to document what you did and what extras etc. This is for those who might have to deal with your estate.