• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The most durable medium range scope for 700y max.....?

TacticalPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
I'm familiar with all the industry manufacturers so I don't need a lesson on who's who. That being said if you were to purchase just one multipurpose illuminated mil reticle choice. What manufacturer and what model. To Hell and back reliability.
Interested in 3-15 range. For ranging on paper, steel, and LR hunting occasionally.

For duty on a Mk12 clone and the Accuracy AT in
308. Plan on using the Bobro dual lever QD mount .

Thanks.

TP...

174d946ebb5dad0420781372.jpg

anim_bow.gif

EDIT: It's the most/least I'm willing to spend AND not worry. At 57yrs old, if I need a tougher scope...
I don't think my body will get it there.

Last edited:
if you were to purchase just one multipurpose illuminated mil reticle choice. What manufacturer and what model. To Hell and back reliability. Interested in 3-15 range.

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. I'd probably go with the F1 but I think the standard models have the same durability. Or you could find a "milspec" if zombies and the apocalypse are in the cards and warranty service is not.

174d946ebb5dad0420781372.jpg

anim_bow.gif

EDIT: It's the most/least I'm willing to spend AND not worry. At 57yrs old, if I need a tougher scope...
I don't think my body will get it there.

I dont own a night force but I certainly agree some of my more durable scopes would out last me on a forced march at this time in my life .

I don't either of these two but I think anything built by NF or USO will be tuff as nails

I'm familiar with all the industry manufacturers so I don't need a lesson on who's who. That being said if you were to purchase just one multipurpose illuminated mil reticle choice. What manufacturer and what model. To Hell and back reliability.
Interested in 3-15 range. For ranging on paper, steel, and LR hunting occasionally.

For duty on a Mk12 clone and the Accuracy AT in
308. Plan on using the Bobro dual lever QD mount .

Thanks.

TP...

IF you are familiar with the industry then you know the answer is Nightforce. Get a 2.5-10x32 for your Mk12 clone and a 3-15 or 5.5-22 for your 308.

Have never been a big Nightforce fan so I would say either a US Optics LR-17 3.2-17x44 or a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 PMII/LP. I am not familiar with the mount you have selected so I am not sure if the USO would fit.

Last edited:
I have a USO ST-10 that's take some pretty good spills and not moved. I've had a couple NF's and /bought/sold them for the wrong reasons. They took some pretty good spills too.

I also had an old Leupold that was probably my best accuracy scope (again, sold for the wrong reasons) land right directly on top of the vertical knob underneath a 22 lb. rifle from about 6 ft. up. It scratched and dented it. But, it still shot/tracked (as far as it would go) 1/4" moa @ 300. It didn't even move off zero by much that day.

IF you are familiar with the industry then you know the answer is Nightforce. Get a 2.5-10x32 for your Mk12 clone and a 3-15 or 5.5-22 for your 308.

I just wanted to cover my base's. I'm looking at the 3-15 MIL-R SF ZS. I prefer a second focal plane up to 15x which is probably the most battle proven design .

TP....

I have an extra NXS 2.5-10x24 I am looking to sell. You need this for a MK12 clone!

Reticle: NP-R2
Turrets: Exposed 0.25 moa Windage and Elevation W/ Zero Stop

Let me know if you're interested.

Also, +1 on the NXS 3-15X50 scope I have one on my AR-10 and a NXS 5.5-25x50 on my Remy 700 5R. Great scopes can never go wrong with a nightforce.

I just wanted to cover my base's. I'm looking at the 3-15 MIL-R SF ZS. I prefer a second focal plane up to 15x which is probably the most battle proven design .

TP....

hqdefault.jpg

No way!!! I thought I was the only one.

EDIT: When someone comes up with a 15-25 x 50mm FFP... I'll be first in line.

I got ruint on Loopy FFP in the mid '80s. What POS they brought to the line. Ruint me, I say!!!

Maybe BURRIS XTR II for @ $1000.00?

Last edited:

TP....

If I may ask, how do you come to that conclusion?

Understand, I really and truly like Nightforce. I just bought the wrong scopes for the applications I wanted. Then sold them when I could have used them in the one I want now...

And, as I mentioned, I really like Nightforce, but I will tell you, [quote me anywhere you like] "FFP is going to be a lot more versatile within most any scopes normal range." SFP works well if you are detail oriented. But, I still think it lags behind FFP (NF=both rock, one just rocks more).

Last edited:
What kind of shooting out to 700 do you plan to do... Pure paper punching or various steel targets at different ranges?

Also do you plan on shooting any practical/tactical rifle matches?

Also what is your budget?

If you are doing anything else but paper punching and think you may try a match or two I highly recommend FFP over SFP.

If you go FFP I'd look at the Vortex Razor HD, the Steiner TX5I (soon to be released), the Bushnell elite tactical line or the Nightforce F1 depending on that budget and the features you want.

If those are too expensive then Vortex Viper PST.

If ultra rugged is your requirement, then consider a fixed power scope as opposed to a variable. Less moving parts and less lenses, therefore less likely to break. If variable is a must have requirement, then USO, S&B, & NF would be my top recommendations. But Steiner, IOR, And Kahles are also considerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely plan on switching between the AR15 and the 308 bolt action. I prefer second focal plane simply because at the lowest magnification setting it is more usable for me. I value low power magnification just as much as the top end in this application.

Nightforce has been making second focal plane scopes longer than the F1, and that's why I assume they are more battle tested. I am NOT going to war, but I'm not easy on my gear either. I appreciate knowing my scope can handle the abuse.

As far as ranging and holds at distance - I agree the F1 has the advantage, but I prefer to dial at max anyway in this power range beyond 300y.

TP...

Am I the only one who wishes for a true daylight bright precision FFP reticle so you can actually use the damn thing at close range at the lowest magnification setting ? The MSR would be amazing like that IMO....

I have a PST 2.5-10X32 FFP that I use for open class 3 gun. A seriously bright setting on low power would be huge for me.

TP....

Last edited:
Ok - after speaking to a buddy with a lot of military experience behind glass, he beat the crap out of me to the point where I am definitely looking at the F1. LOL

I was wrong, and I stand corrected.

TP....