• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The Needle In The Haystack

The Surgeons Ghost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
Geary, Oklahoma
Been thinking about ordering a new stock for my 300 RUM. Last night I finally broke down and decided to turn the money loose. I really didn't want to wait on McMillan's or Manner's lead times. So, I figured I would try a retailer. Boy was that like trying to find the needle in a "Haystack." Every stock that I was interested in was out of stock at both Stocky's, Midway, and Brownells. Talk about frustrated. So I ended up in the end, calling McMillan. At least this way I get what I want, the way I want it.

I ended up getting the A5 in 60% Med Tan, 20% Dark Tan, 20% Woodland Beige. Equipped with clamp bar adj. cheek piece, spacer system, Decelerator pad, 1 stud in the frnt, 2 flush cups on the left and 2 cups on the right, inleted for R700 LA, Varmit contour, inlet for Surgeons DBM, and fully glassed to add weight. I was told that the stock by itself, after being fully glassed, will weigh around 5 to 6 pounds without any of the extras that I have chosen. Lyn, at McMillan, told me that it is the heaviest stock that them make i.e. when the fully glass a stock. All in all I am happy, and I would have never gotten this stock from a retailer. Just have to wait at least 4 months. If I were a betting man, I would say I will be waiting longer. Oh well.

Re: The Needle In The Haystack

I could never figure out why McMillan stocks took so long to arrive. While I was in Phoenix, they took me on an extended tour from start of production to finished product. While watching the stocks being built, I asked the 'whys'. I was then shown a rack of stocks and every one had a name, spec, order date, color, weight, blah, blah etc.
Therefor, apparently, there aren't any 'ready to ship' available.
I told them this was BS and unacceptable. They said "too bad". I told them to "kiss my A". They tolded me to "get F'd". And this converation went back and forth.
Hey--just joking, of course. The McMillan staff, from the receptionist to the 'man you talk with while ordering a stock or rifle', were nothing short of professional and friendly. This personal tour was never rushed and never felt like I was burdening them with too many questions. After about a hour and a half, I had to break it off ('cause my wife was outside sitting in the car). I thought the tour was going to be 5-10 mins...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'cause my wife was outside sitting in the car</div></div>

LMAO, you did crack the windows so she didn't overheat right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'cause my wife was outside sitting in the car</div></div>

LMAO, you did crack the windows so she didn't overheat right? </div></div>

Now that is funny!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could never figure out why McMillan stocks took so long to arrive. ... After about a hour and a half... </div></div>

Hey, hey, hey, more time making stocks, less showing you around.