• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new 17 WSM

has anyone got one of these yet and shot it? just wondering and thought about getting a .17 and looking at me options.

And you will note that I am not advocating for the 17 JamSlammer or whatever they are gonna call it. I am advocating shot placement....period. I doubt I would pick a 17 for hunting a yote either. Just sayin if you pick your shot and shoot within your ability and the reasonable range of the cartridge it will likely do the job. If I am in farm and livestock country(and I am) I couldn't give two shits about where the son of a bitch dies.
I am not imposing my standards on anyone. Hell I would think shot placement would be important to everyone. I also firmly believe in using enough gun for the job. Around here I will hunt them with a shotgun and #4 buck or a 223. I just haven't had time.

long time yote hunter, i get more calls these days,, from land owners an cow frams, to remove as many as i can, sometimes get paid for it,
more places than time to go. have tried the rimfires, 22lr.22mag,17hmr, also 223,6.8,243,
not going to say the rimfire a bad choice,seen old chikin kill 1 at 211yrds with 22lr match right throught boiler room ran only 20 yrds
the 17 hmr that i used ,must be missing something here, all less than 50yrds , bullet blowed up on impact,little to no depth.
now shot placement is proper but,dead is dead, for land owners, that been said,alot of locations cant use centerfire,
now it has become legal to use can in NC. to hunt with. having a 221 fireball built to add to many different tools of the trade'
now for the op the 17wm frimfire ammo is hitting gun stores around here ( 25gr only, at 2600fps, 50fps faster than 17gr hmr)
will wait on jury on killing power. for yote size targets. Now all yall 17 hmr shooters, not pissing in your cornflaks,we all have a choice, mine is a pass on what i need it for. if that is what you kill them with great, good coyote is a dead coyote. keep up the good work at removing as many of the calf,fawn,game brids,fami;y pet, eating machines as you can

So I bought a shitty Savage B-mag and even I did not expect the 17WSM to be this capable. 285 yards, ~2mils holdover, 5mph crosswind (very little hold for wind, probably negligible), and this is the second shot I've fired at something that wasn't paper with this rifle. 2 shots, 2 dead critters. I would have never believed that the WSM would pass all the way through a coyote at almost 300 yards. I haven't even emptied my first box of ammo yet.... I see a lot of potential for this round and can't wait to stretch it out further!

For those concerned with pelt damage, this WSM is the shit! If it weren't for the blood I wouldn't have found the exit wound. In this picture I split the hide to see the exit wound in the muscle. The hole in the hide was much smaller than the hole you see. I never actually saw the hole, just felt it with the tip of the knife. I personally don't give two shits... I throw the flea-bitten varmints in the woods and leave it for the buzzards (buzzards don't seem to have a taste for coyote... I don't blame them).

Please tell me more about how a .17 caliber projectile doesn't kill shit. This bitch flopped about 15 yards, before her brain ran out of oxygen, but there was no running, walking, or skipping. Definitely didn't sprint 40 yards or 1/4 mile! Lol
B2391CA2-AF53-4E27-AE8A-1215D179B5AE_zps67qdk9mg.jpg

Last edited:
17wsm

Athhud's pic and experience is similar to my own. The 17WSM is hotter than the HMR, shoots much flatter with a heavier projectile, is less affected by the wind and is deadly on fox/groundhog/yote sized game out to over 200yds from what I have seen. Have been using mostly the 25g ammo since that was what I could find. At 230yds (limit of my usual tgt range), it is accurate enough from a bench or prone to consistently hit 2-3" shards of broken clay birds. I usually hold 3 graduations high with my mil-dot scope set at 24x or 1/2 grad high with it dialed down to 8x. It is not a FFP scope so the holdover changes with power setting. For that range is is about 2" holdover or a little more.

For coyotes a 223 is better in every way but the 17 is quiet, light, and enough to kill em out to 200-300yds in my opinion. Past that it is going to run outta gas and accuracy is only going to be about 1.5-2.5" groups at 200yds and at 300 it will start to look more like a shotgun pattern. You can hit a yote but stick to body shots as a head shot would be iffy. If the country is open enough to be routinely getting shots at 300+ yds on yotes, use a different gun. Where I live most shots are inside of 300yds, in fact most are inside of 150yds for that matter. I have been able to take squirrels with it out as far as 80yds shooting standing off of a shooting stick. It is pretty rough on squirrels. Head shots blow off the entire head and body shots will create a large opening about 2" in diameter and take a portion of the organs out the other side. Very effective but messy. Even a less than perfect shot creates enough trauma to drop em from the tree instantly. I have seen the 17hmr hit one in the eye, exiting the back of the skull and the squirrel be still walking around. Unable to get away after the lobotomy but not a clean kill. It was with the HP ammo not the ballistic tips which work better. Still, I do not like having to give a coup de grace to a wounded squirrel. This never happens with the WSM. Wounds from 17g 17HMR's are comparable to 25g 17WSM's. They should be, they are nearly the same velocity at close range but the WSM will retain its velocity longer, will hit harder, penetrate deeper and have less wind drift. What is not to like? The B-mag is not a tack driver but it is possessing enough practical accuracy for most hunting. It is about half the accuracy of my best HB Remington 700 Varmint in 223. Still good enough as long as you are not trying to shoot field mice at 200yds.

I posted a pic of my B-mag with green camo Boyds stock, and three tgts at 50/100/200yds that are typical of what it can do from a bench with the 25g ammo. The 20g ammo is less accurate but very hot, chronoing at over 3100fps.

Irish

Attachments

• 200 yds 17 WSM photo.JPG
    200 yds 17 WSM photo.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 50 yds 17 WSM photo.JPG
    50 yds 17 WSM photo.JPG
    690.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 100yds 17 WSM photo.JPG
    100yds 17 WSM photo.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 28
  • 17WSMc.jpg
    17WSMc.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 30
I never got the whole magnum rimfire thing. .22 is good because it's cheap. .17HMR ammo costs as much as .223 and you can't reload it. What's the point?

I can buy 50 HMR for $13 and 20 .223 for $9 at best for the cheap shit with less desirable projectiles..... Not even close to the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I bought a shitty Savage B-mag and even I did not expect the 17WSM to be this capable. 285 yards, ~2mils holdover, 5mph crosswind (very little hold for wind, probably negligible), and this is the second shot I've fired at something that wasn't paper with this rifle. 2 shots, 2 dead critters. I would have never believed that the WSM would pass all the way through a coyote at almost 300 yards. I haven't even emptied my first box of ammo yet.... I see a lot of potential for this round and can't wait to stretch it out further!

For those concerned with pelt damage, this WSM is the shit! If it weren't for the blood I wouldn't have found the exit wound. In this picture I split the hide to see the exit wound in the muscle. The hole in the hide was much smaller than the hole you see. I never actually saw the hole, just felt it with the tip of the knife. I personally don't give two shits... I throw the flea-bitten varmints in the woods and leave it for the buzzards (buzzards don't seem to have a taste for coyote... I don't blame them).

Please tell me more about how a .17 caliber projectile doesn't kill shit. This bitch flopped about 15 yards, before her brain ran out of oxygen, but there was no running, walking, or skipping. Definitely didn't sprint 40 yards or 1/4 mile! Lol
B2391CA2-AF53-4E27-AE8A-1215D179B5AE_zps67qdk9mg.jpg

I guess the prof is in the dead yote
cool shit,
YO.

I watched coyote drop at 100 yards by .17 wsm.
Any ways I think .17 hornet is the way to go.

I looked thru my phone and found the pics.

Last edited:
I never got the whole magnum rimfire thing. .22 is good because it's cheap. .17HMR ammo costs as much as .223 and you can't reload it. What's the point?

A local store has Hornady 17HMR Vmax for $11 for 50 rounds from time to time here, and when they do I stock up. It is certainly cheaper than 223.

For what it's worth my Savage 93R17 in 17HMR is somewhat of a trainer rifle for me that transitions well to when I shoot my Savage 10FCP-K in 308. It is also just a very fun accurate little rifle to play with that is far more capable than 22lr. On a calm day it is easy to make consistent hits at 300 yards with my 17HMR on small steel plates, and shotgun clays placed at 200 yards are fun as hell to shatter with it.

I have thought about trying out the 17WSM, and maybe sometime in the future I will, but for now it is near impossible to get any ammo around here for it so that has been my main reason for not trading in the 17HMR for one.

The 'point' (mine anyways) is that I live in a fairly built up rural area...I have neighbors less than 500m away on one side.
I also have a coyote and groundhog problem.
I don't want to use a round that could be deadly for miles (am very careful with the .22WMR for that matter)...they don't need the extra noise of a centerfire, and I wouldn't try for a coyote at 100m with a .22LR.
Sorry...I just don't get the thinking..."it doesn't work for me, so what's the point".
Means we'd all shoot the same gun, drive the same car and live in the same 3 bedroom bungalow.
That sounds like a boring world to me.

Well now I get it. Makes sense. I don't hunt. I shoot at mostly stationary targets and make sure all my shots have a solid backstop. Your purposes make a lot of sense.

Here is another coyote that the 17 WSM didn't kill. Over 100 yards away, full sprint, gut shot, dead in less than 50 yards.... I've never cut a coyote open to inspect the organ damage, but I just might have to see what this WSM is doing!

8A2E136C-29C4-49C7-8882-C0BBFBBC610E_zpsezmhbska.jpg

The hmr can be effective but you can't use the vmax rounds as they are little hand grenades. They will just fragment on impact on anything with some meat on em. The 20gr xtp or game points is what you have to try out on some yotes.

The 17hmr V-max works beautifully on the noggin. It will punch through 3/16" mild steel plate (or a skull) like a laser beam. Then of course it fragments like a mother trucker. It is a pretty fascinating round to me. Anything that will punch through steel and come to pieces in a squirrel can always be utilized around here.

Whats yalls thought on this new offering the .17 win super mag. I cant wait.

Opinions will vary as you know. But by me, too many companies/individuals try to come up with a magic bullet and reinvent the wheel. Too many tools are out there already, we live in the golden age of firearms. Out to 50 yards my favorite tool is a precision air rifle on small game. Beyond that is where .22lr shines, and .204 does the rest where the first two are inadequate. Anything in between is luxury.

.17 WSM rifle with a varmint barrel?

Keeping in the tradition of "The Hide" rimfire section, using rimfire for cheaper tactical training, etc...

Does anyone know of a rifle that in this caliber that will come with at least a varmint barrel? Most look like standard tapered "American" barrels. I am very interested in this round, I have really not paid much attention to it until this thread..
Thanks

Keeping in the tradition of "The Hide" rimfire section, using rimfire for cheaper tactical training, etc...

Does anyone know of a rifle that in this caliber that will come with at least a varmint barrel? Most look like standard tapered "American" barrels. I am very interested in this round, I have really not paid much attention to it until this thread..
Thanks
Savage is now making a fluted varmint heavy barrel in 17wsm.

I want to buy a rifle in this caliber so badly but the Savage BMag that I looked at when they came out did not impress to say the least. A couple of guys I know bought them and the accuracy was not there. I am going to wait until another manufacturer steps up... come on CZ.

I vowed many years ago that I would never sell a firearm. If the WSM hangs around long enough for someone else to build something better than the B-Mag (pretty much any attempt would be better), then mine will be available at an extreme discount. I've gotten my dollars worth out of it just from what I've learned about the WSM cartridge. The stellar performance for killing dogs just makes me want a quality rifle in that chambering so much more. Winchester should have given the B-Mag away as a free sample just to get people hooked on the WSM. I would like a heavier barrel for mine so I can thread it for a Silencerco Spectre II. I don't think the heavier barrel is going to improve the accuracy at all though.

I am going to wait until another manufacturer steps up... come on CZ.

i hope the OAL and rim of the WSM is doable in the CZ 455 receiver (and bolt face / extractors). then i think it would be as easy as a barrel chambering. but i think it may be too long for the 455 magazine & well.

bmag has a rotary mag, perhaps screaming out to ruger to hopefully produce one in the popular american rimfire line, but may have the same configuration of the bolt and receiver as described above.

side by side by side photo:
http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/worlds-fastest-rimfire-cartridge.aspx

Ammo Review: New .17 Winchester Super Magnum, World's Fastest Rimfire Round | Outdoor Life

i read somewhere that the thick rim of the .17 WSM requires that cock on closing mechanism so that the firing pin has enough "oomph" to detonate the primer in the rim. otherwise it would be a very heavy bolt to cycle / cock vs. the typical rimfire. maybe that's what's turning off other manufactures - they'd have to tool up for a whole new line of rifle rather than adopt their already in existence rimfire actions / bolts to the .17 WSM, or have complaints about a laborious cycling / cocking effort - maybe they are just waiting to see if the demand is there to justify the cost.

it seems the results (real field results by real users) in this thread has been the best on the net, and shows credence to this chambering...wish there were more group pictures at 200Y +/- to see just how well the round can be placed time after time. speed, drop, and wind drift don't mean much to me if it's spitting out unpredictable groups at around that 200Y+ mark. most i can find on the net are a handfull of 200Y groups, and ranging between 1.5" to 5" groups - of course it depends on the shooter and conditions, but i see no real trend when it comes to over 150Y groups of it being good or bad on paper.

even if at 20.00 for 50, if it's performance on game and paper are solid, it appears to be worth it at around 100Y, especially for those that have centerfire restrictions, or would like the "quasi" performance of a small caliber centerfire without the expense of off the shelf ammo or the desire to handload.

for more avid shooters / reloaders, perhaps the .204, .17 hornet, .223, etc. is more in line to not need the .17 WSM.

myself - i was going to plunk down the $ for a bmag just for a yote only rifle, but felt a .243 yote only rifle w/ handloads as i already have the dies, powder, brass, and would better justify my nickels and dimes at the moment as my "mad money" for additional toys has really dwindled over the last year. plus it can be "converted" to a deer rifle if my kid chooses to hunt in the future.

a FMJ offering in ammo would also be adding some value, as the varmint polymer stuff tends to either not have enough penetration to the vitals or is just not meat friendly if misplaced off the vitals on turkey. but i'm only taking what i've seen 1st hand from what .17hmr and .22mag polymer ammo does - or doesn't due to wild turkey.

with only winchester producing ammo and savage producing a rifle now, perhaps it will fall victim as the 5mm RFM has, perhaps not.

correction, there are these rifles too:
Winchester Brings Back Model 1885 Hunter Rimfire | OutdoorHub

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1164-17-wsm-semi-auto-rifle

bad thing about most of the .17 WSM threads i've seen is that they usually get off topic pretty darn quick, making most "real field experience by real users" research a bit futile.

I too was expecting the bullets to perform similarly to the HMR varmint bullets. As indicated by the exit wounds, something is different about the WSM. If I can get another box of ammo I'll fire off a few 200 yard groups. If I can achieve anything less than 2" I'll be surprised....

The cock on close bolt really sucks. Also the bolt can be "closed" short of the notch in the stock. Fast and proficient loading will take some getting use to. I missed an opportunity to take a second coyote, that was with the last one I killed, because of the crappy bolt design. Also it is easy to accidentally lift the bolt just enough to prevent sear release. That almost cost me another coyote last week....

Remember the 5mm Rem magnum rimfire? Great round but limited rifles and ammo. The more ammo companies and firearm mfrs that jump on the bandwagon seems to favor success, but only time can tell.

This. ^^^^

Regardless of the cartridge's performance, the key killer or saver of this round will be the availability of rifles by various manufacturers as well as ammunition. Been there, done that with the 5mm re-introduction. The round performed well, but with the higher pressures, different magazine size, bolt face size; manufacturers didn't want the risk (and associated cost on a new action to burn down risk) of dealing with a cartridge that ran at pressures much higher than the 28k of .22LR or .22Mag. There's a lot of cheap .22 rimfires with one lug/bolt handle actions that would fail catastrophically if some einstein had it altered to accept 5mm.

I see the same with the 17 WSM. It's great for the northeast guys that can only hunt in some areas with a rimfire, but other than that...well, like I said. Good luck (no disrespect to the performance of the cartridge).