• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new Deer stand

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2011
    WNY
    I have been working on a new deer stand for the past 10 days. All the heavy lifting seems to be done. I just need to finish the stairs put in a lot more screws in a few places and put up a railing and paint it. The deck should allow prone shooting from under the house in any direction. The house (48"X96") will have a propane heater when finished. The concept is that I will be able to transport it with a tele-handler when conditions are dry or when necessary drag it with a tractor. I will use it for a deer stand during hunting season but for some of the rest of the year I'll let the kids use it for a tree fort.

DLH_0775.JPG

Be careful in high winds.....

Deer chalet. It's making me all sentimental over the deer stands and duck blinds I had from decades ago. Nice work.

Brisk winds against broad sides are going to be interesting.

That SOB gonna stay right where you park it, good job. Now to get the deer to show up around it.

You gotta do better than that!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 11
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 9
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 12
    That SOB gonna stay right where you park it, good job. Now to get the deer to show up around it.
    I think you are correct that it will stay where I put it in any wind I would leave the house in.

I did not design it to be a Hurricane shelter. In my experience deer sit tight on windy days anyhow so if you want to hunt the windy days you have to still hunt.

Is it mobile? Or is it built next to a field, a water source or a feeder?
    It is mobile. I plan to move in about 800 yards from my driveway to the edge of a wooded area.

Stealing your design.
    It is not stealing if you are welcome to it and you are welcome to it. However I did not make any prints I just kinda built it.

Not big enough! Need room for a army cot and a pot-bellied stove and full swivel chair!!

Their is plenty of room for an old steel case swivel office chair, I am sure the propane heater will work well enough and be easier to control than a pot bellied stove. In so far as the cot, I am only going to put it a five minute four wheeler ride from the house so unless the wife kicks me out I will not need a cot.

If I decide to buy another rifle this year, do you recommend a particular cot?

Deer chalet. It's making me all sentimental over the deer stands and duck blinds I had from decades ago. Nice work.
    Thanks Moses

We started using Chem tanks from center pivots. Just paint the inside black and put them up in the air. Cut a couple small windows.

They stay warm, and clean.

I think you have an executive level deer stand. I would be proud to hunt out of such a unit. However the red neck in me started thinking. Is there a moral difference with one man raising the window on his mobile deer palace to shoot the deer of his dreams vs the next man rolling down the window of his truck?

All kidding aside its awesome.

Not big enough! Need room for a army cot and a pot-bellied stove and full swivel chair!!

The first time I killed a deer, I went to a friends ranch in the Texas hill country. They put me in a 12x12 stand that had a Lazy-Boy recliner, a single sized bed, heater and a metal chair to shoot off of. They called it "The Hilton". My first deer was a 6 point. 3 minutes later I shot a doe.

The OP is a nice stand. I have a 4x6 that sits on an old logging road running north and south with shooting lanes going into the woods east and west. I wish I built a larger stand for when I hunt with the wife or kids. 48" width is not enough.. I have 1000+ yards facing north, 365 yards facing south, 285 yards facing east and 175 yards facing west.. My next build will be a 6x8 or larger.

Nothing like being out of the weather. I built one so my daughters would hunt with me. It is 6x6 and 15 foot up. It has made hunting very enjoyable for them. I did my time freezing my ass off ect. The scent control is the best benefit. Me and the daughters have killed some very nice deer from ours.

R