• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The NRAs explanation of why the 6.5Creedmoor is better than .260............

How do people not know about cheddarwursts? I literally have 3 different brands in my freezer. Two jalapeno cheddar and a white cheddar variety. Sometimes I forget how sad the food scene is outside of Wisconsin.

How do people not know about cheddarwursts? I literally have 3 different brands in my freezer. Two jalapeno cheddar and a white cheddar variety. Sometimes I forget how sad the food scene is outside of Wisconsin.
Wisconsin has an epic cheese game. That’s something I miss about growing up in northern IL

Reactions: Austan
The 260 was never popular because Remington completely fucked it up for years and then when it started to get popular everyone wanted to charge $52 a box for it

We did the Ghost Dancer project in 2001 which was a Savage 10FP in 260 that we built up and worked with. Rockstar results followed... the problem was factory ammo. Remington loaded it as a crappy hunting round and nothing else.

Not only on paper, but in real life the 260 is actually a much better cartridge than the 6.5CM but then Hornady could not own it. the down side was guys were loading it really long and getting the bullets caught in the lands and pulling them out. They wanted speed and loaded too long to get it.

LOL, I would not eat that shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Austan and The D
"High BC bullets might be important for long-range shooting, but they’re not the only thing that matters. Velocity—just as it always has been and always will be—is important, too. For example, 6.5 Creedmoor is generally touted as being a better long-range cartridge than the .260 Rem., even though the .260 Rem. has more powder capacity and can push bullets faster. The reason for this is that factory rifles for the Creedmoor are built with a 1:8-inch twist as opposed to the 1:9-inch rifling twist of the .260. Because of this, factory Creedmoor ammo can be loaded with higher BC bullets."

And the entire article..... https://www.shootingillustrated.com...l&utm_campaign=020223email&utm_id=020223email
I hope people 'edumacate' that writer

"High BC bullets might be important for long-range shooting, but they’re not the only thing that matters. Velocity—just as it always has been and always will be—is important, too. For example, 6.5 Creedmoor is generally touted as being a better long-range cartridge than the .260 Rem., even though the .260 Rem. has more powder capacity and can push bullets faster. The reason for this is that factory rifles for the Creedmoor are built with a 1:8-inch twist as opposed to the 1:9-inch rifling twist of the .260. Because of this, factory Creedmoor ammo can be loaded with higher BC bullets."

And the entire article..... https://www.shootingillustrated.com...l&utm_campaign=020223email&utm_id=020223email
That's written as is Rumsfeld wrote it...you know..."There are known knowns, things we know that we know; and there are known unknowns, things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns, things we do not know we don't know."

Reactions: lash
Back before this PRS thing, back before the cheapskate lazies ruined innovation with stupid speed limits, back before Creedmore was a must have name at the end of every type of caliber, back before 30 pound rifles shooting light cartridges, folks in competitions were running custom chambered .243 rifles, shooting 105gr or similar rounds, loaded hot at over 3k fps to sometimes a fair bit over 3k fps and doing very well with them.

.243 Winchester is still my favorite cartridge. 107 SMK over a case full of retumbo in a 26 inch barrel. H4831SC for the 20 to 24 inch barrels.

.243 Winchester is still my favorite cartridge. 107 SMK over a case full of retumbo in a 26 inch barrel. H4831SC for the 24 inch barrels.

A well built accurate large frame MSR platform rifle in .243 can also be pretty sweet.

A well built accurate large frame MSR platform rifle in .243 can also be pretty sweet.

My .243’s are heavy. 1 is built on a FN SPR, and one is my old F-Class gun built on a Stiller action from 2012.

Id get multiple barrels chambered at the same time from the reamer I purchased. Sent the gunsmith a new reamer every time it was time to do a batch of barrels.

Normally Obermeyer barrels, but my last batch of barrels are Schneider barrels. 7.5 twist.

Don’t shoot as much anymore.

My .243’s are heavy. 1 is built on a FN SPR, and one is my old F-Class gun built on a Stiller action from 2012.

Id get multiple barrels chambered at the same time from the reamer I purchased. Sent the gunsmith a new reamer every time it was time to do a batch of barrels.

Normally Obermeyer barrels, but my last batch of barrels are Schneider barrels. 7.5 twist.

Don’t shoot as much anymore.
Still using my Stiller action. A good action never goes out of style. Though the current trend has been tight smooth nitrided actions/bolts. I’ve never ever had a hitch or hiccup with the Stiller, over many, many barrels and all kinds of conditions.

Still using my Stiller action. A good action never goes out of style. Though the current trend has been tight smooth nitrided actions/bolts. I’ve never ever had a hitch or hiccup with the Stiller, over many, many barrels and all kinds of conditions.

Same here. My stiller has been through 8 burnt barrels. Not a high round count though since I’d usually end up rebarreling between 800-1,000 rds when accuracy fell off.

I have a Steyr SSG-04 that I have had re barreled in .243 win but I was going to go 260 Rem as the Steyr doesn't chamber the short Creedmoor very well out of the mag it like .308 or longer cases. Then I started play with a 6.5X55se hunting rifle and that change my mind. I am going to go with the 6.5x55se on the next barrel. I plan on shooting 144 LRHT and if with the extra capacity in the case over the Creedmoor and 260 I may even try the 153.5 LRHT.

Same here. My stiller has been through 8 burnt barrels. Not a high round count though since I’d usually end up rebarreling between 800-1,000 rds when accuracy fell off.
Well, I’m a cheap ass shooting mid velocity rounds and stretching barrels to 3500-4500 rounds, but still through 4 barrels myself and this was a used comp action when I bought it.

Well, I’m a cheap ass shooting mid velocity rounds and stretching barrels to 3500-4500 rounds, but still through 4 barrels myself and this was a used comp action when I bought it.

My retumbo loads are definitely on the ragged edge, and I’d shoot fast strings in between gusts in F-Class. My other one was used on ground squirrels and ground hogs so once again, fast strings. Id keep the varmint barrels on longer than the F-Class barrel, and the not accurate enough for F-Class barrel would get cut to 20 inches to get out of the fire cracking, rechambered, and put in line for the varmint gun.

It's funny how many times they have tried to reinvent the 6.5×52mm Carcano. 130 years old and designed for long bullets. You'd think now that we know JFK was smoked by a 221 fireball from an xp100, it would be time for a resurgence of the 6.5 Italian round.
Came here to say this.

After all, All roads lead to Rome.

Reactions: Austan and lash
No offense @Krob95 but are you sure?
gay tiger.jpeg

Last edited:
Came here to say this.

After all, All roads lead to Rome.

The French kickstarted the arms race for small caliber high velocity ammunition and several countries worked on similar ideas.
Mauser came up with the 6.5x55 near the same time the Italians were doing their 6.5x52

What a lot of folks don't realize is that the 1940s update to the 6.5x55 ammunition looked very much like all the modern high BC bullets

1675822739205.png

Not a thing wrong with the 243, if anything it was the gun manufacturers and not the bullet side that limited it.
They twisted it wrong, if you long range twist it like any other 6mm its not much different than a 6CM
That seems to be the trend. It's easier to "invent" a new cartridge using the latest bullet technology and optimized twist than it is to get the average person to understand the benefits of using them. Comparing the cartridges based on the decisions of rifle manufactures is intellectually dishonest, but I guess it gets clicks.

Not a thing wrong with the 243, if anything it was the gun manufacturers and not the bullet side that limited it.
They twisted it wrong, if you long range twist it like any other 6mm its not much different than a 6CM
Doesn't 243 suffer from magazine length problems when using high BC bullets like the 115's? I'm pretty sure that was the reason Tubb invented the 6XC, so the bullet could be seated above the neck shoulder junction without OAL preventing use of magazines. Or do cartridges with steeper shoulder angles like 243 and 260 not suffer from donut problems?

Doesn't 243 suffer from magazine length problems when using high BC bullets like the 115's? I'm pretty sure that was the reason Tubb invented the 6XC, so the bullet could be seated above the neck shoulder junction without OAL preventing use of magazines. Or do cartridges with steeper shoulder angles like 243 and 260 not suffer from donut problems?

Case neck donuts are a different issue than seating length.

I disagree, unless you start reaming them. The whole point is to be able to seat the entire bullet in the neck above the neck-shoulder junction where the donut forms. If your brass is like 243 with long sloping shoulders, that junction is further from the case head. Seat the bullet above that point, and you have an OAL that exceeds what a standard AI mag can handle, right?

I disagree, unless you start reaming them. The whole point is to be able to seat the entire bullet in the neck above the neck-shoulder junction where the donut forms. If your brass is like 243 with long sloping shoulders, that junction is further from the case head. Seat the bullet above that point, and you have an OAL that exceeds what a standard AI mag can handle, right?

Reactions: wade2big