• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The old Winchester that could

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I believe this rifle spent it's entire life in a ranch truck. The photos really don't tell the story well enough. The crown on it for example is pretty much gone! No she gets a new chance at life and she'll be back to the ranch with one exception. She won't ride in the tool box anymore.

I'll keep you guys updated in the process:

Starting point day 1
IMG_8527.jpg

Project one was to fix the tang where she took a pretty serious whack on something at some point.
IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

Next step was cleaning all the crud and repairing any pits etc.
At this point I couldn't even take an accurate measurement:
BEFORE
IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8534.jpg

AFTER
IMG_8542.jpg

Time to put the barrel on..............

OLD
IMG_8535.jpg

NEW (extractor slot not cut yet)
Broughon 5.75 contour 1-10 twist 5C
IMG_8551.jpg

Extractor cut made and she's ready for bedding:
IMG_8553.jpg

Re: The old Winchester that could

Out with the old and in with the new:
IMG_8562.jpg

fitting the new McMillan HTG:
Looks like she's going to balance out very well when we get the scope etc. on there

IMG_8556.jpg

I'll keep you posted on the bedding. i hope to get to it this weekend.

Man that is awesome. I like to see restorations like that. Also, the redfield on there reminds me of the original 4x redfield that came on my dads hand-me-down remmy nylon.

Turning out very nice considering the condition it started out in.

Nice looking Project. What caliber will this be chambered in and what is that barrel length?

Looks great so far. Good classic caliber for a good classic action...Good Luck, I look forward in seeing the finished product and range report.

+1 on pics of the finished project vs the original project! Nice looking work so far.

Jered, I take it that its going to be duracoated?

That's beautiful. Any chance you're going to install iron sights as well as the scope?

Hee hee .257...... I took Kayla out yesterday for a little fun in the sun. She wore me out. She hooked a bass so big it sat there for a minute and didn't realize it was hooked. I was turning the boat around to get her snag squared away when it swam off into the abyss never to be seen.

I'm getting ready to start the bedding right now. I had to fish at least once, make a video, and some family stuff so I'm behind.........

Wow, Jered! Such a different rifle than the one I saw last week, and your bedding job looks absolutely fantastic. Definitely makes mine look like amateur hour, which it is. I might have to have you fix that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The owner wanted to keep all the parts original except the barrel so it's the factory guard. </div></div>

And the stock?

Looks great as I would expect. I cant wait to see it completed.

Extremely cool, Got to love them Winchesters!!

Jared,

What's going to happen with that fine, fine, pre-'64 stock?
wink.gif

FWIW, that is one fine looking rifle. You do great work, man.

The owner is keeping all of the original parts that are left over.
I've got the rifle coated etc I just haven't had time to stop and take a photo. I'm also working on 2 really high end 375 H&H mannlichers. That has really taken my time. It's crunch time and I haven't stopped working before Midnight since this weekend so I'll do my best to post the final pic when I get a second. I'll also start a post on the 375 when I get a second for that.

Oh yeah I threw a 14.5" shorty shotgun in the mix also........never know when you might see a zombie.......

I forgot to add a pic of the screw rework. Somehow the rear screw got warped slightly during it's life span. Since everything had to be as original as possible I machined the warp out and fixed the threads.

IMG_8574.jpg

And...................She's ready to go dig some more graves............

IMG_8654.jpg

BEFORE:
IMG_8527.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_8655.jpg

10 shots Corbon 180g DPX .62 MOA
before the flier at shot# 9 I was at .41 MOA.
I blame it on Corbon because it could never be mechanical or let alone shooter error
wink.gif

IMG_8656.jpg

awesome job!nice and clean. I too have to say great job on the bedding.

Very nice!

-referring to the rifle, not the poop deck. I was typing while you posted the hangin' loose photo;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm headed out to catch some Bluefin. I'll be back on Tuesday. Shoot me an email if you need anything. I'll do my best to keep up with them.

[email protected]

DSC_0194-1.jpg
</div></div>

Sure is alot of "sh!t" on the depth finder!

Jered another outstanding job! Stuff like this really shows your talents. Starting off with new parts is one thing but being able to turn a old rusty action into the work of art that is here is amazing!