• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing The one that got away.

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
This is a mule deer buck my dad glassed. He was hunting a friend and glassed this buck up. It is the biggest mule deer he has seen in his life. Here is the story, My dad got out of the truck and started to glass. He glassed the buck, it was one of the "We need to kill this deer" right when you see him things. Dad tells his friend "We need to kill this deer" the friend "What do you think he is"? Dad "I don't know, we just need to kill him, he's big". Dad tells his buddy, "Hey this is how we need to get on this buck and what to do". Well my dad takes off walking, He looks behind him and his buddy's gone! Gets on the radio, "Where are you"....... Nothing. He waits for his buddy, waits and waits. Finally he said screw it I'm going to walk on top this knob, he was thinking the buck would be about 300 yards. Well he walks on the knob and the buck was at 300 yards....... No shooter! So he walked back out, no radio, nothing. I guess I will go take some pictures he said. He finally gets the guy on the radio after he got the pictures and walked back out! He said get over here. Long story short the buck walked over the hill. The friend told my dad he was chasing around a little buck and some does. Why do you chase deer your not going to shoot????? Anyway, that evening they got at 500 yards. The friend didn't feel good enough to take the shot (300 yards is far for him). The next day they got at 500 yards again. He took the shot..... Shot 5+ times, never got within 10-15 yards of the deer.

12B037-Copy-1.jpg

12B028-Copy-1.jpg

12B028-Copy-1.jpg

This is the buck he finally ended up killing.

deer010.jpg

deer009.jpg

Re: The one that got away.

I feel your Dads pain!!! I had a shot at this guy with my bow and I shot high at 40 yards little over his back!!! I still feel sick.
IMG_0018.jpg

That's quite a deer! One of the reasons you do need to be able to shoot to 500yds.

Had a similar experience back in the day only I don't have pictures...the wife even felt bad so she bought me a range finder.

That is a beautiful muley ya got there, even the one he did harvest isnt too shabby. Beats gettin' skunked.

Having one like that walk is part of hunting. I have had a number of book critters live to see another day, it is part of the experience of hunting. Some I have missed some just gave me the slip. A few didn't though and that is enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ejd049, Thats a great buck. </div></div>

Thanks, another hunter ended up taking a couple of weeks later!!!

man that sucks. i wounded the biggest buck i had ever seen in my life and it was found about 1 mile from where i wounded it at. i still regret that shot.

I really want to go shed hunt around that area this summer. I don't know if it will happen but would be cool.

This is a shed I glassed around that area about 3 years ago. Its white and broke but I was happy, being 13 years old and glassing a shed
smile.gif
. There was a older guy there. I said "I got a shed!" my dad "Really? let me look". Dad said "Wow you do, good job bud." That guy was like "I gotta see this, Well all be damned you gotta set of eyes on you kid!" LOL.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Wow, that does suck when you finnaly see a big boy and cn't get him on the ground. BUT...that buck that you did get is no slouch, I would not let him walk.

It was a very trying week on that hunt. We had that buck within killing distance everyday we saw him. I just wish I had been the tag holder instead of the guide. It just wasn't meant to be for him and he is very happy with the buck he killed. On a positive note the buck made it through the season and is waiting for me to draw that tag this year.