• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The Original Mil Dot Master...

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Technically, this is a Vickers Machine Gunners Slide Rule. But works on the same general "vernier" slide principle as a Mil Dot Master.

Designed to help set inclination, declination, deflection, wind, dropping rounds BLOS, etc. It's graduated out to 2800 yards, from what I can determine. And you thought firing a machine gun was easy...

milDotmaster1-1.jpg

mildot2.jpg

This unit is WWII Australian. Would be for .303 Ball. It would not surprise me if the ballistics were pretty close for Enfields.

Just a neat thing I picked up and thought people might like to see.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: The Original Mil Dot Master...

That's a neat find. When I was a kid one of my neighbours had been a heavy machine gunner in Italy in WW2. He said they often used the Vickers at extreme ranges to lay down suppressing fire on something like a crossroad, often out of line of sight.
My grandmother's brother was a heavy machine gunner in WW1 and I still remember him, as he was deaf his whole life from the extended firing. I guess British high command didn't think the "stuff" needed any hearing protection.

You got a good find, Like to find something simular for the Cal 30, 1906 ammo. It's work great for long range shooting with the Springfield and Enfield rifles.

If you can find one, Hatcher's Machine Guns, 1916 would be a great additon to your find and gun.

Great book on WWI era machine guns and tactics.

Thanks for sharing. That's a really interesting system, and it doesn't need batteries!

Thanks for the share....can you image the class for that...lol..

That is really cool, I've never seen anything like that. Didn't know something came before the Mil-dot master.