• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Pacific

Re: The Pacific

The trailer has been on Youtube for some time now. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cut

For a long time rumors have circulated that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were collaborating on a World War II: Pacific Theater/Marine Corps HBO mini series in the same spirit of their highly respected “Band of Brothers..” This is no longer a rumor. In 2010, “The Pacific” will air on HBO as a ten part mini series.

“The Pacific” is based on the books “With the Old Breed,” by Eugene Sledge, which was hailed by historian Paul Fussell as “one of the finest memoirs to emerge from any war,” and “Helmet for My Pillow,” by Robert Leckie (recipient of the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Annual Award), as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers. Continuing the World War II oral history work begun by his father Stephen E. Ambrose (author of the book Band of Brothers), Hugh Ambrose serves as a consultant on the miniseries, as does Captain Dale Dye, USMC (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and Platoon).

The miniseries follows Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. Specifically, it tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie (played by James Badge Dale), Eugene Sledge (played by Joe Mazzello) and John Basilone (played by Jon Seda) - across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day.

Watch the Official HBO Trailer at: http://www.hbo.com/events/pacific/video.html
For more information, see: http://www.pacificfans.com/
Visit the series fan site at: http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

Semper Fi.

<span style="font-weight: bold">14 March HBO

"Rifles were high and holy things to them
And they knew 5-inch broadside guns."</span>

Dale Dye describes work on HBO's "The Pacific"

<http://www.hbo.com/events/pacific/>

Tom Hanks, Capt Dale Dye and Steven Spielberg discuss filming on the set of HBO's "The Pacific." Photo by David James/HBO

288bn93.jpg

By Capt. Dale Dye USMC (Ret), Senior Military Advisor on HBO's "The Pacific."

It took nearly two years of hard campaigning to get it right but in
March of this year American TV audiences will get an unflinching,
historically accurate and very absorbing look at World War II in the
Pacific as fought by men of the vaunted 1st Marine Division
LINK

In my billet as the Senior Military Advisor for this monster
undertaking,

CC Lifemember, Capt Dale Dye on the set of HBO's "The Pacific." Photo by
David James/HBO

Executive Producer Tom Hanks gave me a set of deceptively simple
marching orders: "Get up under the helmet of those Marines and take the
audience on the trip they made to hell and back between 1942 and 1945."
That's what we did over the year we spent in shooting the project which
HBO has given a simple, evocative title: "The Pacific."

And it's what HBO subscribers will see when the first episode of the
maxi-series airs on March 14. Like its hugely successful predecessor
"Band of Brothers," <http://www.hbo.com/events/bob/index.html> this
series will be presented on HBO in ten one-hour episodes with plans to
sell a boxed set sometime following initial TV release.

A series of special sneak Previews are being set up around the country including one for 1st
MarDiv Marines and WW II vets at Camp Pendleton. Given what I saw every day for a full year on sets in Australia where we shot the series and the edits I've seen done over the past year in post-production, there's no question Marines are going to love this series but I believe it will also find a huge following among civilians and veterans of other services who will quickly lock on to the drama, pathos and hardships faced by men who fought the war in the Pacific. We certainly did our
best and spared no expense to recreate it.

My orders to the Warriors Inc. <http://www.warriorsinc.com/> Cadre who
assisted me in the training and in daily on-set advising were direct and
specific. We will do everything in our power to give audiences an
insight to the thoughts, emotions and passions of men who faced a
brutal, tenacious and unfamiliar enemy in the Pacific campaigns of World
War II. It was immediately obvious we were facing a big challenge and
one that was quite different from what we faced in doing "Band of
Brothers," which focused on one company of paratroopers from the 506th
PIR of the famed 101st Airborne Division in the ETO.

Capt Dale Dye gives advice to an actor on the set of HBO's "The
Pacific." Photo by David James/HBO

This new project required us to raise, train and employ actors and
special ability extras who would realistically portray WW II-era Marines
from all three regiments of the 1st Marine Division. The focus is on
three main characters: Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone from 1st
Battalion, 7th Marines, PFC Eugene Sledge from 3rd Battalion, 5th
Marines and Private Robert Leckie of 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines as the
division fought from Guadalcanal to Cape Gloucester, Peleliu and on to
Okinawa. Much of the source material for our scripts was taken from
books written by the latter two Marines (With the Old breed at Peleliu
and Okinawa by Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Leckie) so we had at
least two early touchstones for historical research.

We immediately worked out a Table of Organization for a training unit
and began to sketch in the details of a schedule designed to produce a
credible WW II Marine infantry company in the fourteen days allotted
prior to start of principal photography. All hands on the Warriors Inc.
Crew were advised to pack their seabags for a long deployment and begin
researching WW II Marine Corps weapons, equipment, uniforms and tactics.

In Melbourne, the city in which the 1st Marine Division rested after the
grueling campaign on Guadalcanal in 1943, my XO Mike Stokey (1st MarDiv
CC in Vietnam from 1966-69) and I began to recruit Special Ability
Extras who would be trained along with the cast members and support the
mission throughout the production. All of the three hundred or so young
Australian or New Zealand men we saw in the process of selecting fifty
candidates were avid to be a part of the production but few of them had
much more than a rudimentary knowledge of World War II. These guys -
and the actors who were being cast back in the States and in the UK -
would need plenty of background information to effectively portray the
young Americans who volunteered for Marine Corps service in World War
II.

Stokey and I also used this trip to interview and hire thirty Asian extras that would be trained as Imperial Japanese infantrymen to oppose our Marines. We've always believed that the most effective portrayals of combat derive from using a skilled adversary rather than cartoon characters in enemy uniforms. For "The Pacific" we deemed this a vital
concern. Despite propaganda portrayals from the period, IJA soldiers were anything but cartoons. Just ask any WW II Pacific combat veteran. To effectively communicate the jeopardy and the difficulties encountered by our forces facing tenacious and dedicated Japanese forces in thePacific, we needed an on-screen enemy that demonstrated those characteristics.

As the principal actors began to arrive in Australia, we moved to Far North Queensland and set up for training in a huge patch of triple-canopy jungle running up the slopes of steep hills. With our CP established, we began to amass the weapons, ammunition, rations and canvas we'd require when the troops arrived. From this remote site we'd conduct a curriculum that ran the military gamut from terrain appreciation, through tactical formations and movement, to fire and maneuver and into combat engagements between our Marines and the Japanese forces training at a site nearby. We took an absolutely minimalist approach to creature comforts as we wanted our trainees to experience life in the field as it was lived by World War II Marines who were chronically short of everything except Japanese enemy.

Our training command was organized into three platoons: Assault
Platoon, Machinegun Platoon and Mortar Platoon, each commanded by a Marine veteran and member of my Warriors staff. I commanded the training company with Stokey as my XO. When the troops arrived for transport to the training area, they were issued a seabag with World War II Marine dungarees, boondockers and period field equipment which left them both clueless and apprehensive. That situation was reinforced as the NCOs gave them a typical welcome based on personal experience with Marine Drill Instructors. It was loud, profane and scary which served to put our trainees in the desired mind-set: numb, sweaty and confused. That's precisely the way we wanted them to be for reasons based on my own Marine Corps experience and what I've learned over the past 25 years about performing in military movies.

I've always believed the most effective training tactic is to work from the inside out rather than the other way around. You can train actors to walk, talk, maneuver and handle weapons appropriately - and that's been done by others before me - but the real convincing performances come from the heart and from places deep in the brain that are unreachable without full and complete immersion in the alien experience of intimacy, lack of privacy, total inter-dependency, deprivation, hardship and unselfish devotion to a larger ideal that only those who have served in the military can understand. The idea is simply to give the performers a large, unavoidable dose of experience with the way real military people must feel, think and function to survive.

Any Leatherneck would recognize the regimen. Isolate them completely; no cell phones and no contact whatsoever with the world outside their training unit. From the start, work them hard in physical training and manual labor such as calisthenics, long formation runs and digging their own fighting positions until they are numb and focused exclusively on surviving the next five minutes. At that point, you have a blank slate and an open heart. We quickly launched on a steep learning curve during which the trainees gradually worked their way up into the appropriate positions of leadership and followership called for in the scripts.

A typical training day in the field went something like this. All hands muster at 0500 which was a bit shaky since we'd been on fifty percent alert throughout the previous night which was punctuated in thrilling fashion by a Japanese probe of our lines. No breakfast was allowed as we felt two ration meals in a 24 hour period would reduce body fat and give us the slim, slightly underfed look we'd need in the first episode covering Guadalcanal. We formed for PT at 0530, did calisthenics and then launched on a four-mile formation run. Following PT, we set the platoons against each other in full-contact close-quarters battle and bayonet drills with sheathed blades on M-1 rifles and carbines.

By 0800 we were on our firing line with blanks ammo streaming through Garand rifles, BARs and carbines. During our field training period, our people had to become intimately familiar not only with the M-1 rifle, carbine, Thompson SMG and BAR infantry combinations that Marines carried beginning in 1943 but they had to master the M1903A1 Springfield bolt-action rifles and M1917 water-cooled heavy machine-guns required for the Guadalcanal sequences prior to the Corps' adoption of the more modern weapons systems during WWW II.

While the riflemen worked on the firing line, Machine-gun Platoon
conducted gun drills - blank fire in support of maneuvering squads, displace, and re-engage area targets - while the Mortar Platoon conducted missions with the 60mm mortars firing creeping barrages with shells that give a satisfactory and attention-grabbing blast via 12-gauge shotgun shells embedded in the base of dummy HE rounds.

After noon chow, we briefed a company-sized reconnaissance patrol that would take us via compass heading through the heavy green to the top of a jungle covered hill where listening posts had reported enemy movement. Prior to moving out we issued the machetes we'd need to cut through the bush and conducted a review of field telephone and wire procedures that would keep everyone in contact with the CP. Field radios were notoriously unreliable in World War II and we reinforced that concept by requiring the Wire Section of Assault Platoon to constantly run lines and keep maneuvering units in contact via EE-8 field phones.

As we began to climb and cut through the tangle of vines and undergrowth under field marching packs (approximately 40 very real pounds of weight including rations and water) the heat smashed into us. The humidity in this jungle often matched the air temperature and those who rolled up their sleeves or unbuttoned their dungaree shirts rapidly became familiar with stinging nettles that added significantly to the agony of the march. The jungle climb was particularly difficult for machinegunners and mortarmen who had to hump all their T/E gear and a basic unit of fire. A pre-planned firefight with our Japanese training on the reverse slope of that jungle hill significantly lightened their load and gave them some excellent feeling for fighting at close range in a thick jungle. Machinegun crews had to constantly displace in support of the creeping infantry squads closing on enemy hard-points. Mortars were working their sights and tubes according to a rapid rate of adjustments I was sending to them via wire with the student officers observing the technique.

When we returned to the CP, cleaned all weapons and ate parts of a second meal, we opened the schoolhouse to conduct lectures on Marine Corps history, the state of the world and the U.S. in the war years, and worked on 1940s vocabulary and Marine jargon. When the inky darkness particular to Pacific jungles descended we set the watch and waited for the pre-planned, full-scale banzai assault that we'd arranged for some time close to 2200 when heads would be nodding on our perimeter. By the time we were hit in a sector defended by a pair of water-cooled machine-guns, the troops were demonstrating admirable fire discipline. Our mortars fired a night area suppression mission to drive off the attackers.

And that was just one training day. Our final field exercise at the end of two weeks involved a full scale amphibious assault via period LVTs and LCIs on a heavily-defended beach. That was truly gratifying and as close as I'll ever get to experiencing what our brothers in World War II faced on beachheads at places like Tarawa, Peleliu and Iwo Jima.

We paid meticulous attention to the details in uniforms, weapons,
equipment and tactics. That's an overdue tribute to the men who fought the great naval campaigns in the Pacific during World War II, Of course, there will be Marines, veterans and fans who will argue that we should have covered some of the other major Pacific battles. Vets of action with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Marine Divisions might feel slighted, but we did include some sequences with the forming of the 5th Mar Div at Pendleton and we follow Basilone with that unit onto Iwo Jima where he was killed in action. It's about all we could manage in bringing that under-appreciated, misunderstood and frequently forgotten aspect of World War II to life and to the attention of worldwide audiences.

There is one serious omission for which I should apologize, especially to this audience. Despite my best efforts, I never managed to talk the
writers into including a Marine Corps Combat Correspondent in the action. But we did have a couple of real ones working behind the cameras and given our history and mission, I guess that's the way it should be.

while i enjoyed platoon, FMJ, etc. Dale Dye may not be the best "military techical advisor" for period-correct WW2 films. His viet-nam era lingo, etc. comes across as as an anachronism in films like BoB, SPR and now the Pacific. Statments like..."let's rock & roll", and some of the infantry hand signals seen in WW2 films he's been a part of decrease the film's authenticity b/c they were not used in the 1940s. I fear we'll see more of the same in the Pacific. I still can't wait to see it...just wish Dye would stick to what he knows best...Viet-nam.

Dye was a public affairs guy who is now living his dream of being an 03. I have read reviews from two different pretty good reviewers that say the cliche's in Pacific are ridiculous. You have a good point. But I will be the son of a bitch tuning into every episode. It is the war the US really wants to be fighting now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sir Alfred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dye was a public affairs guy who is now living his dream of being an 03. I have read reviews from two different pretty good reviewers that say the cliche's in Pacific are ridiculous. You have a good point. But I will be the son of a bitch tuning into every episode. It is the war the US really wants to be fighting now. </div></div>

you got that right!

I can only wait until is becomes available on DVD, we don't have HBO in our home. I take it on faith that it's going to be as good as reported here.

Dale Dye may not be the ultimate source of technical detail and authenticity, but his heart is in the right place and he does his level best to get it right. Consider the alternatives who also have the ears of Hollywood.

Folks who can remember the events and also do the job aren't very thick upon the ground anymore. I'm glad we have his assistance in this, whatever anachronisms and personal slants may leak through. Better than what Hollyweird usually serves us up.

I've made this comment before. This forum is a hard house to play to.

For whatever the reasons, folks here take single-minded delight in nitpicking and crapping on otherwise nearly unflawed presentations, basking in their own brilliance at rooting out the defects in works they couldn't equal by themselves in a thousand years. Not talking about individuals here, but about this forum as a historical whole.

OK, it ain't perfect. Damned little is. Let's enjoy the presentation for what it is; entertainment with some considerable diligence invested in getting it as nearly right as possible.

Amen.

Let's move on now.

Greg

Much of the series is a bit slow. The combat scenes on Guadalcanal and Peliliu do a good job of portraying the chaos, confusion, and carnage of a bloody fight.

I'd recommend reading Leckie's book <span style="font-style: italic">Helmet for My Pillow</span> and E.B. Sledge's book <span style="font-style: italic">With the Old Corps</span>. They were there.

Sledge is a horrifying graphic author.

I have been disappointed by the series. The battle scenes just seem to me like a mob running around after the Japanese. No tactics at all. It also is just missing the normal camaraderie like you have in Band of Brothers or Generation Kill. It just seems awkward. I will continue to watch it but to me it is just like watching a train wreck you can't keep your eyes off of it.

Somehow I just do not connect with the characters, but more with their adversities. I am stuck now 1/2 through it and will stick it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been disappointed by the series. The battle scenes just seem to me like a mob running around after the Japanese. No tactics at all. It also is just missing the normal camaraderie like you have in Band of Brothers or Generation Kill. It just seems awkward. I will continue to watch it but to me it is just like watching a train wreck you can't keep your eyes off of it. </div></div>

I Agree, The first show of BoB, you saw them become a unit, you learned who they are. Then in show two with the assault on Brecourt, you saw how the army used small unit tactics. We all know that the Marines did more then Hey Diddle Diddle straight up the middle, I would of liked to see what that was about. Plus, them hitting the Beaches, I would of liked to see them stretch that out a bit. In Saving Pvt Ryan, they showed a true Beach Assault, they could of done better in my mind.

You Marines should have your own Band of Brothers that us Airborne has.

I think it's been better than it could have been, but not as good as Band of Brothers (so far we'll see how things progress). I agree with Alaskaman 11 regarding the espirit de corps that comes through on BoB that doesn't seem to come through yet on the Pacific.

Perhaps they were a little overly ambitious in the scope they were trying to capture, and as a result have sort of lost the forest for the trees.

All that said, I'm addicted and can't wait for Sunday nights!

It's OK, Generation Kill was better, BoB is the benchmark - nothing has met it yet.

As a Marine, I had high hopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've made this comment before. This forum is a hard house to play to.

For whatever the reasons, folks here take single-minded delight in nitpicking and crapping on otherwise nearly unflawed presentations, basking in their own brilliance at rooting out the defects in works they couldn't equal by themselves in a thousand years. Not talking about individuals here, but about this forum as a historical whole.

OK, it ain't perfect. Damned little is. Let's enjoy the presentation for what it is; entertainment with some considerable diligence invested in getting it as nearly right as possible.

Amen.

Let's move on now.

Greg </div></div>

If I understand you correctly, you are criticizing the critics of a series that you have not seen.

I guess your comment prove you right.

B.O.B. will be the yard stick that will measure mini series for a long time and that is great because others will try to surpass that achievement.

In a time when we have some much crap on our small and big screen, this yard stick is needed.

Pacific is technically beautiful but does not achieve the personal connection we had with the soldiers in B.O.B.

I understand the difficulty of telling personal stories and keeping the big picture(war) clear.
Most movies will do one of the two, not both.

I do not care about the main characters like I did in B.O.B. and that is very annoying.

I wanted to feel the same way about the Marines than I did with the Airborne.
That is the main flaw of The Pacific.

I don't know if the episode of R & R was to get us closer to the characters, but I did not work for me.

The Pacific will be a classic and I'm glad that this work was done.
I just hoped that the people involve in B.O.B. could reproduce the same feel in Pacific.

Maybe if I hadn't seen Flag of our Fathers and Letter from Iwo Jima....

This has definitely been a good series, but as others have said the Marines themselves aren't well developed as characters 8 or so episodes in and I couldn't tell you any of their names. BOB was much better in that regard.

ssgp2...exactly correct about the character development.
I dont feel for them at all. I dont even understand whos who!
But the action and realism is over the top.

It is hard to compare the two HBO' series since one followed the same group across the large mass that is Europe and the other jumped from small unit to larger unit to small unit across tiny islands in the vast Pacific. I thought it could have been better, and I think the bar (Band of Brothers) was set so incredibly high, and since I personally take single-minded delight in picking at and dumping on otherwise nearly unflawed presentations, I offer a few thoughts.

I did not like the sex scenes. It is universally accepted that Marines are the horniest men on the planet, and that chicks dig them, so this did not need to be shown. I thought that the three main characters, Basilone, Leckie and Sledge were represented very well by the actors that were chosen to play their parts. "With the Old Breed" has made the top 10 lists of many military historians, professional and otherwise, but cinema did not keep up this time. I liked that PTSD, before it was defined, is featured so strongly and I loved that the emphasis was placed on the enlisted man, with the careful showing of an officer here or there, and that the Gunny was a Gunny. Some things never change.

I greatly enjoy the clips of the veterans, but hate that the new show each weeks starts at about 14 minutes into the hour and then goes off at about 6 till the hour. That's 20 minutes out of an hour show each week. That's great artwork with the chalk and all, but WTF,K? (K, with a circle around it normally, is shorthand in military jargon for "Over," if you are keeping a journal on comms. As in "you de me, AF polar K." Just sayin, since I have noticed people lately are really getting into military jargon usage.)

Unlike Alaska, I was pleased they frequently showed the mob, with leaders urging people mostly to "get online" or "move forward." The very strong emphasis on formations in later years, and the FMFM 6-5 were a result. But I strongly agree with him that it could have been better.

I thought the series was very well done and watched some episodes two or three times already. I would change things in every movie, but overall they made a great presentation and did a much more comprehensive job than anything to date in telling the Marines' story of the Pacific campaign.

More focus on the beach landings would have been nice, but the scenes we saw were very well done. I also obsess on small unit tactics and would have appreciated a primer on the WWII Marine version, but it would not have added to the story for a general audience. The equipment was basically accurate and changed to match the time frame.

IMHO the three personal stories came through loud and clear, and it would be hard to do much more or keep significant unit integrity going and still be accurate given the terrible attrition most units sufferred during the campaign. Some things that also became quite apparent in the mini-series were the logistical shortages, weather and housing problems and the number of fanatical, dug-in enemy defenders that refused to surrender.

The series gave me a whole new appreciation for what our Marines faced in the Pacific. Although I've know a couple personally who passed away several years ago, they never mentioned that part of it or dwelled on just how bad it really must have been fighting in those conditions (one's biggest complaint was that his Malaria prevented him from donating blood).

That was a great generation!

I just finished this last night. I liked it, there was some great film making in this series. It was very different from BoB. It was summed up in the last episode "Home" when the taxi driver drops off Leckie. The driver served in EU and wouldn't take Leckie's money for the ride. He told him that he had got time off and got laid in EU and all the Marines got was jungle rot. Great line.

Brilliant series. I thought it was better than BoB, (probably the Marine in me) and it’s about time a good representation of that theater has emerged.

I highly recommend two of the books it was based on, <span style="font-style: italic">Helmet for My Pillow</span> by Robert Leckie and <span style="font-style: italic">With the Old Breed</span>, by Eugene Sledge. Awesome books, and they give you the real story, without Spielberg’s and Hanks’ artistic license.
My grandfather was a Marine who was on Guadalcanal, Tualagi, Okinawa and eventually Japan. He said he felt the series was good, but a little over dramatized. The books kind of indicate the same, they’re more matter-of-fact and less grandeur. At the same time they often go into detail that wasn’t present in the series. Remember that scene where that Marine is trying to dig gold out of the japs mouth while he’s still alive? Sledge describes that incident in painful, gruesome detail while describing the mindset that led to such acts. Leckie’s book is similar in this regard, but with a different tone.

After you watch it once, wait a couple weeks and watch it again. It is WAY better the second time aronud, you catch a ton more stuff. This is definitely the best show I have seen in a long time.