• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The passing of a giant

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
It's outside the interests of many of you, but I'm going to share, anyway.

Gabriel García Márquez, the foremost modern-day author in the Spanish language, passed away an hour or two ago. As I'm typing, his Wikipedia page still indicates that he's with us.

He was not only a good writer, but he was a prolific one, as well. To put into perspective, he out-printed and outsold the Bible in Spanish. He was also brave, in that many of the things that he had to say, even if he said them from within the bounds of fictional works, were not always welcome to the ears of the strongmen who have long dominated Latin American nations.

If the sky tonight seems a bit more crowded and a bit brighter, don't be surprised. Adiós, Gabo ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/books/gabriel-garcia-marquez-literary-pioneer-dies-at-87.html

Last edited:
I read 100 Year so Solitude. Interesting. I had trouble getting past the point where the old grandmother was prostituting out her granddaughter because she accidentally knocked over a candle and burned down the house. The part about her lying in a pool of semen from the repeated customers was a bit TMI for me.

If you really like Latin American authors try Otto Rene Castillo. More a poet than prose writer. Try "Lets Go" 'Vamos a Patriar' My favorite from that collection is 'For the Good of All'

It's never quite the same to read in translation, but yes, people found certain unsparing aspects of his works unsettling. If you're describing ugliness, feathers can get ruffled.

wasnt sure what you were passing but figured it would be entertaining to read. i admit i threw in the towel after the 2nd sentence

I had never heard of him. Sorry he passed. Good people pass away daily.

Last edited:
I read 100 Year so Solitude. Interesting. I had trouble getting past the point where the old grandmother was prostituting out her granddaughter because she accidentally knocked over a candle and burned down the house. The part about her lying in a pool of semen from the repeated customers was a bit TMI for me.

If you really like Latin American authors try Otto Rene Castillo. More a poet than prose writer. Try "Lets Go" 'Vamos a Patriar' My favorite from that collection is 'For the Good of All'

Sounds like an author I`m glad I missed..............

I think we'd be relieved if you were mistaken for a runaway albino hippo and relocated to a zoo with no internet access. But then, who would believe you could run or hippos so annoying?

I think we'd be relieved if you were mistaken for a runaway albino hippo and relocated to a zoo with no internet access. But then, who would believe you could run or hippos so annoying?

[video=youtube;MEUV0v4-0Lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEUV0v4-0Lg[/video]

Oh, look, it's Not Trenchant Observation Interlocutor Man!

Is this one of your 'before' pictures for hormone therapy?

SikhTurban%233.jpeg