• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The perils of "re-assigned" phone numbers

Fx51LP308

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2021
    Tampa Bay, FL
    For anyone here that has knowledge of the Telecom industry and, specifically, Caller ID and the "inner workings" of it:

A year ago, I started a new business (I'm a "Notary Public"). I got a phone number from one of those "secondary" phone no. companies as an app to my smart phone... a "reassigned" number. So far, it has worked well and I can take / give calls/texts on both my primary and secondary (business) numbers, separately. And I'm not getting any errant calls for the previous business... so far, anyway.

Earlier this week, a person tried to call my business number and, for the first time, noticed that the caller ID "Name" from the previous owner had not been cleared and is still attached to the number I received. Thus, when people dial it, it comes up with that name (i.e. "Calling XYZ Co") where "XYZ" is the name of the business that had the number before me.

I need to be able to delete that name and/or its association with my number, or change it to my business name. It's not a "bad/nefarious" name (i.e. "Adult-O-Rama" store), but it's still confusing to people who might call my number looking for my Notary business. The "alternate phone" app company where I got the number from says they have no control over it and cannot help me. They even refused to research the name of the previous carrier so I might call them to see if they might alter it, citing "security reasons." Gotta love that catchall.

Therefore, if anyone here knows anything about how caller ID Names and numbers are managed and can point me in the right direction as to how to get it changed or removed from the number itself, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks much.

Just change the name of your company to the old phone number company name and problem solved for a lot less headaches than you are going to find.
    But...but...
    He's a notary. What if the old company was American Dildos Inc.... 🙃

• Haha
    Reactions: tomcatmv
    I can hear the testimonial now…

“I always use American Dildo Notary Services for my notary needs. With American Dildo, you’re not getting fucked…”

For anyone here that has knowledge of the Telecom industry and, specifically, Caller ID and the "inner workings" of it:

A year ago, I started a new business (I'm a "Notary Public"). I got a phone number from one of those "secondary" phone no. companies as an app to my smart phone... a "reassigned" number. So far, it has worked well and I can take / give calls/texts on both my primary and secondary (business) numbers, separately. And I'm not getting any errant calls for the previous business... so far, anyway.

Earlier this week, a person tried to call my business number and, for the first time, noticed that the caller ID "Name" from the previous owner had not been cleared and is still attached to the number I received. Thus, when people dial it, it comes up with that name (i.e. "Calling XYZ Co") where "XYZ" is the name of the business that had the number before me.

I need to be able to delete that name and/or its association with my number, or change it to my business name. It's not a "bad/nefarious" name (i.e. "Adult-O-Rama" store), but it's still confusing to people who might call my number looking for my Notary business. The "alternate phone" app company where I got the number from says they have no control over it and cannot help me. They even refused to research the name of the previous carrier so I might call them to see if they might alter it, citing "security reasons." Gotta love that catchall.

Therefore, if anyone here knows anything about how caller ID Names and numbers are managed and can point me in the right direction as to how to get it changed or removed from the number itself, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks much.
    Get a hold of your "secondary" service provider and ensure that they populated your biz name correctly in the CNAM database hosted by Nuestar. This is where Caller IDs are stored and pulled from.

These databases need to be pulled down regularly with updates (I don't think its on an on the fly dip....but I'm retired and can't remember shit)....and that costs...so, I'd verify if other people (ask wife, friend, etc) see the old name or just this one person who may also be using a cheap skate telcom provider.

If seeing the wrong number is common...across different receiving networks (e.g. Verizon, AT&T, Windstream, etc)....then its your svc provider failing to update the DB.

Reactions: lash
    This would be awkward......
    ..but funny

😳. 😂. 🤣

305575275_3429111554030788_7800739503899047751_n.jpg

Get a hold of your "secondary" service provider and ensure that they populated your biz name correctly in the CNAM database hosted by Nuestar. This is where Caller IDs are stored and pulled from.

These databases need to be pulled down regularly with updates (I don't think its on an on the fly dip....but I'm retired and can't remember shit)....and that costs...so, I'd verify if other people (ask wife, friend, etc) see the old name or just this one person who may also be using a cheap skate telcom provider.

If seeing the wrong number is common...across different receiving networks (e.g. Verizon, AT&T, Windstream, etc)....then its your svc provider failing to update the DB.

They ("secondary" service provider) claim they have nothing to do with it. They are refusing to be of any assistance. They "claim" all they do is publish the number. I guess they don't realize from where it comes.

Is there anyway I could contact Neustar directly and get them to change it?

Last edited:
    They are refusing to be of any assistance. They "claim" all they do is publish the number. I guess they don't realize from where it comes.
    Yeah, they publish the number....they supposedly submit it to a CNAM DB provider they subscribe to (and I don't have details of how that works...maybe google and research it) of which there are multiple but Neustar is by far the largest.

I presume that the various CNAM providers cross link submissions between (or svc providers send updates to all...about 8...CNAM providers???) them but I've been out of this for a very long time and really don't know.

I don't believe Neustar will talk to you at all. They work for service providers who are the source of DB entries.

I did find this with a quick search....so, its not clear to me that it really is at your end. I rather thought that the CNAM data went in the signalling for the call but apparently not. (as said, I'm old and have been out of this for quite some time). So, have you had other people beside that one (like wife, child, friend) call your biz # and do they ALL get the wrong biz name?

"The called party's carrier has the responsibility to perform the CNAM lookup, and it is possible that lookups for the same telephone number from different locations return different name information."

Sorry I can't be of more help....check out the first link in this google return...you can look up your own number but I don't know what DB they cross ref to or if they look at all of them....or?

Sorry...

Yeah, they publish the number....they supposedly submit it to a CNAM DB provider they subscribe to (and I don't have details of how that works...maybe google and research it) of which there are multiple but Neustar is by far the largest.

I presume that the various CNAM providers cross link submissions between (or svc providers send updates to all...about 8...CNAM providers???) them but I've been out of this for a very long time and really don't know.

I don't believe Neustar will talk to you at all. They work for service providers who are the source of DB entries.

I did find this with a quick search....so, its not clear to me that it really is at your end. I rather thought that the CNAM data went in the signalling for the call but apparently not. (as said, I'm old and have been out of this for quite some time). So, have you had other people beside that one (like wife, child, friend) call your biz # and do they ALL get the wrong biz name?

"The called party's carrier has the responsibility to perform the CNAM lookup, and it is possible that lookups for the same telephone number from different locations return different name information."

Sorry I can't be of more help....check out the first link in this google return...you can look up your own number but I don't know what DB they cross ref to or if they look at all of them....or?

Sorry...

I checked with Neustar. They have it on their CNAM DB. I trust that it's assigned to only one CNAM DB. If more than one, I may have a problem.

They also said (as you suggested) that they cannot validate me as the number owner. Only the carrier that assigned me the number can do that, and also get it changed with Neustar. So I will have to go back and push it heavily through them. The only risk there is that they drop me as a customer, which would solve the problem but create a number of others.

We'll see.

Reactions: lash and Baron23
    I checked with Neustar. They have it on their CNAM DB. I trust that it's assigned to only one CNAM DB. If more than one, I may have a problem.

They also said (as you suggested) that they cannot validate me as the number owner. Only the carrier that assigned me the number can do that, and also get it changed with Neustar. So I will have to go back and push it heavily through them. The only risk there is that they drop me as a customer, which would solve the problem but create a number of others.

We'll see.
    95% of We/I cant do (what ever you want done) actually means "We/I have your money and dont want to be bothered."

95% of We/I cant do (what ever you want done) actually means "We/I have your money and dont want to be bothered."

We'll see about that. What they don't realize is the size of my keyboard and the loudness of my voice. I can trash them all over the place. I don't want to, because I want to use the service. I just want them to do this one little change.

Maybe I can email the CEO and see what s/he says. I'll just have to find out who that is.

Reactions: Maggot
    Another thought about this comes to mind. When I acquired the number initially, I did so as a "consumer," not as a "business." TBH, I don't ever recall there being separate plans for "consumer" vs. "business." Perhaps, that may be why the CNAM wasn't updated.... because I wasn't on a "business plan," paying business $$$ and getting business services. I would argue that consumer vs. business shouldn't matter; the current CNAM misrepresents me in any/all capacities.

We'll see what happens, tomorrow.

Thanks much.

At least you weren't getting calls from some Mexican who was locked up.

"Veronica I love you I'm so sorry-"
    "Dude you got the wrong number stop calling"
    "HOW COME YOU GOT MY GIRLS PHONE ESE"

Still get debt collectors looking for Veronica too lol.

Update, and I am pleased to report, "Problem Solved."

The CEO of the parent company to my phone app got involved and authorized a "Trouble Ticket" to the carrier that has custody of the number. The CNAM record was removed. It was replaced with the name of the town where the phone exchange code is based (Plant City, FL). Perfectly acceptable!

Thanks to all who helped me get this resolved!

(y)