• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The PWS UXR

UpSideDown

↑ → ↓
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2019
This looks like a sweet rifle PWS just dropped, and the pricing is very reasonable. It's a universal rifle that can switch between small-frame and large-frame AR cartridges by swapping parts out. It looks like it operates on an AR-180 style piston system that is a hybrid between a short-stroke and a long-stroke.

Essentially it can swap between being an AR-15 or an AR-10. You can go between .223 and .308 on the same system.
Conversion kits complete with the barrel, piston system, bore evacuator and magazine interface are $575 MSRP.

This platform really excites me for a few reasons:
1. The action cycles the full length of .308 cartridges. If they keep the same bolt diameter and barrel extension, it might be possible to load .223/Grendel/ARC cartridges well above 55ksi without bolt failure
2. This opens the door for the possibility of the medium-frame AR feed. The potential to drop some kind of alternative magazine in, or to drop a conversion block into an SR-25 mag and feed .223's loaded long with heavies looks viable in this platform.
3. The combination of the piston system and the bore evacuator should really keep gas down when shooting suppressed.

They put some sweet tech into this thing.

1705701240022.png

1705701253583.png

Reactions: Kamerad
Well, how does it shoot? How would you describe the balance? Is there a noticeable shift in the balance point when changing between calibers?

Keith

Well, how does it shoot? How would you describe the balance? Is there a noticeable shift in the balance point when changing between calibers?

Keith
They just released them, it doesn't look like any are on the shelf yet.

This has been on the short list ever since I heard of it. Has some things I have been wanting for a while. Forward assist ability for loading quietly With a Left hand charging System. Light weight and light recoiling. Simple design with few parts. Could be a SCAR kiler?

300 Blackout version has none of the 1:5 twist Sig bullshit...The 308 version allegedly is 6.8 pounds with the 16" barrel which is equal to the POF Revolution DI. Could be interesting. I'll let the dust settle first.

ACR 2.0 ... the way it should have been executed ... well done PWS!

Reactions: Runnineh
I'll be the first to say it, since I guarantee I'm not alone in this sentiment...

That rifle looks fuck-ugly... It looks like they hired an autist to draw a futuristic semi-retro design of an STG-44 for one of those Star Wars movies or something. I expect better from PWS. This rifle will probably tank based on looks alone, unless they pump enough money to the YouTube and Social Media army of soul-less greedy shills ready and willing to pretend they love it, and that it's the best thing every made, in an attempt to make it popular.

You don't have to agree, or even like my opinion... The great thing about opinions is that they are Individual.

I'll be the first to say it, since I guarantee I'm not alone in this sentiment...

That rifle looks fuck-ugly... It looks like they hired an autist to draw a futuristic semi-retro design of an STG-44 for one of those Star Wars movies or something. I expect better from PWS. This rifle will probably tank based on looks alone, unless they pump enough money to the YouTube and Social Media army of soul-less greedy shills ready and willing to pretend they love it, and that it's the best thing every made, in an attempt to make it popular.

You don't have to agree, or even like my opinion... The great thing about opinions is that they are Individual.
That was the first thing that struck me. The features sound interesting, and it would be great if the thing works as promoted, but it is one ugly gun. For some guns, function is the reason you buy it, and this would fall strongly in that category.

It is ugly, and LONG, there's so much room behind the grip that makes it look weird. I think if that area didn't look so bad, and if they got rid of the hand-carry feature in front of the magwell, it would be doing much better.

What I think is cool about this is it's the first rifle that lends itself to making into a medium-frame AR. I think if you made the right binder/follower for an SR-25 mag you might be able to feed super long, hot-loaded .223 out of this like in a bolt gun. That itch is kind of scratched now by the 22GT but this still may have some perks.

At 40 seconds---wew! look at that bolt bounce-. Guess no issue on semi though. Let's see if it makes it out here, ample supply and follow on parts and support.

Looks like the charging handle and piston system positions might make it difficult to convert to a compact SBR.
They showed an SBR variant, apparently they have barrels and shorter handguards

What really gets me is they are standardizing a price just shy of 3k for off the shelf rifles now. I have a hard time spending that when you can build quality great shooting ars for half that. Shit for 2k I can build a small frame with a bartlien barrel that rivals my bolt guns in accuracy

What really gets me is they are standardizing a price just shy of 3k for off the shelf rifles now. I have a hard time spending that when you can build quality great shooting ars for half that. Shit for 2k I can build a small frame with a bartlien barrel that rivals my bolt guns in accuracy
One rifle with one scope and a few quick-interchangeable parts isn’t really comparable to multiple dedicated rifles.

Reactions: TheDude219
M3YzbC5naWY.gif

Yet another modular solution to a non-existent problem.

I will never understand the need/want for these modular rifles. And clearly the market doesn't either because they never sell well. For the cost of the rifle and kits you can just buy dedicated rifles or uppers.

Not to mention need to have multiple optics with mounts that are known to RTZ when mounted. Just a bunch of why.

Reactions: FuhQ
The conversion kits are priced separately I don't see why this is 2650$. At 2k maybe. The conversions are fairly priced.
You’re nicer than me…They would have to give me one and pay me to review it, and I’d be 100% honest if it was reliable, but I’m still gonna call it ugly, and if it’s a dumpster fire, I’m going to call it a POS…

Reactions: Charmingmander
1705955651461.png

1705955557711.jpeg

Eh, look pretty similar to me, Ugg boots and all. Add some irons to the PWS and they’d be even closer. At least the PWS has a place to put your hand in front of the magwell that doesn’t have pic rail on it.

That 50 shades of FDE trick really does work.

The rear receiver area by the grip looks disproportionately small to the rest of the gun, and the stock looks funky when it's extended. If you could ditch the handhold piece in front of the magwell that would help the aesthetics. If you wanted to just own one gun this would be cool. It shouldn't have the optics-killing issues of the SCAR, has a non-reciprocating charging handle that can be used as a forward assist, and at 6.8lb is not bad compared to an AR-10.

Not to mention need to have multiple optics with mounts that are known to RTZ when mounted. Just a bunch of why.
Part of the benefit of these systems is that you don't need multiple optics, and don't need to be removing them. You can have one optic and dial the zero offset when you change configurations. A $2,500 rifle with a $2,000 optic/mount and $500 cartridge swap kits grows in value when the alternative is having 3x $1,800 rifles with $2,000 optic/mount sets. A configurable gun like this will be very unlikely to do everything that a dedicated platform can (precision, weight, form factor, etc), but it can probably do 85% of what multiple platforms can all in one. It's not for everybody.

Keith
It is a bit subjective, but I say it is the smoothest shooting 5.56 I've ever fired. Granted, there is a multi-port break on the muzzle, but the rifle doesn't move or climb too much at all. One of the reasons it is so smooth on smaller calibers is that it doesn't hit the buffer on the back wall because it doesn't require the full .308 stroke cycle. However, in .308, it has a very unique recoil impulse that is light and smooth. You can really run the trigger and maintain sights on target.....and still smile after multiple hundred rounds.

There really isn't a shift in balance going between calibers when maintaining the same barrel length. The barrel mass of each caliber is roughly equal. There is a lot of mass which can be removed from the barrel to make some calibers lighter, but constant accuracy throughout multiple stages of fire was deemed more important than knocking of some ounces for a release.

The balance point is right in the pocket of the trunnion cover in front of the magwell.