• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The Ruger American Rimfire

Bluedog82

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019

Got one of these in a trade a year and a half ago. Pretty good little rifle, biggest drawback is the lack of stock options.

The American Long Range and Target....both with wood stocks are immensely better than that plastic turd. The Long Range comes with a better canted rail as well if I recall.
Screenshot_20240526_221822_Facebook.jpg

Borrowed a buddy's Long Range once and got a NRL22 Base Class win and was like 3rd overall that day.

The regular Americans and the RPRR is hot garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: ZG47A and Bluedog82
The American Long Range and Target....both with wood stocks are immensely better than that plastic turd. The Long Range comes with a better canted rail as well if I recall.
View attachment 8426429
Borrowed a buddy's Long Range once and got a NRL22 Base Class win and was like 3rd overall that day.

The regular Americans and the RPRR is hot garbage as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, the stock sucks. I’m begging Magpul to make one…I have half a mind to just dremel out one of their 10/22 stocks.

Yeah, the stock sucks. I’m begging Magpul to make one…I have half a mind to just dremel out one of their 10/22 stocks.
Don't hold your breath. After having been jerked around by multiple stock companies (most who already made 10/22 stocks) trying to get a stock done for the 77/22 when they were still in production. If they aren't already making them....they aren't gonna. The American Rimfire has been around like 8yrs now.

Reactions: ZG47A
Don't hold your breath. After having been jerked around by multiple stock companies (most who already made 10/22 stocks) trying to get a stock done for the 77/22 when they were still in production. If they aren't already making them....they aren't gonna. The American Rimfire has been around like 8yrs now.
IMG_6926.jpeg

I know it’s not great odds, unfortunately.

• Haha
Brenda owns a youth model. Considering the scope that’s mounted, a base model Leupold, it holds its own pretty well. I have actually taken it out to 200 yards shooting at full sized silhouettes. I think the hold over was somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. (Technically holding at the top of the berm at the 200 yard target on the B range at Altus).

However, Brenda’s 541S and my new Vudoo are in a whole nother league, but for $300, it’s not bad.

Heck, I only paid a bit over $200 for the 541S and a Redfield 2x7 scope…..but that was my entire monthly paycheck in 1973. Had to work weekends at a second job to make ends meet, but the girl had to have a nice wedding gift and she loved to squirrel hunt.

IMG_1443.jpeg

Reactions: ZG47A and Bluedog82
Brenda owns a youth model. Considering the scope that’s mounted, a base model Leupold, it holds its own pretty well. I have actually taken it out to 200 yards shooting at full sized silhouettes. I think the hold over was somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. (Technically holding at the top of the berm at the 200 yard target on the B range at Altus).

However, Brenda’s 541S and my new Vudoo are in a whole nother league, but for $300, it’s not bad.

Heck, I only paid a bit over $200 for the 541S and a Redfield 2x7 scope…..but that was my entire monthly paycheck in 1973. Had to work weekends at a second job to make ends meet, but the girl had to have a nice wedding gift and she loved to squirrel hunt.

View attachment 8426778
The nice thing about it is, all you need to switch to a regular model is a $30 stock insert. I took mine out to 300yds, where the switching winds were the most limiting factor.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
I have the regular 16" model. I put it into a Boyds Prairie hunter stock. It shot like crap before I did it and it still shoots like crap. I am replacing the barrel on it this summer. Just have not found the time to do it yet.

Reactions: Bluedog82
I have the regular 16" model. I put it into a Boyds Prairie hunter stock. It shot like crap before I did it and it still shoots like crap. I am replacing the barrel on it this summer. Just have not found the time to do it yet.
My understanding was the barrels were not replaceable on the regular ones, just on the rpr’s.

I had one I put an MDT chassis on, replaced the whole gun with a CZ457 in the manners stock, overall better gun I believe

My son has the cheapest version in a plastic stock. It has been very reliable for us. We don’t shoot expensive ammo through it just cheap bulk stuff and accuracy is probably on par with the grade of ammo we are shooting. 1-1.5” groups at 50

My understanding was the barrels were not replaceable on the regular ones, just on the rpr’s.
I have a lathe. The barrel tenon is 0.003" larger in diameter on the American as it is on the Precision. The Precision just has the AR15 shoulder for the handgaurd. The American is press fit and pinned to the receiver. The Precision is held on by the barrel nut.

Like I said I just have not found enough time to do the whole barrel yet.

Last edited:
I gave mine a makeover.
IMG_3530.jpg

Boyd's Rifle Stock
Galdes Armory Extended Bolt Handle and Knob
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15X
Vortex Switchview Scope Lever
Vortex Rings
Vortex Scope Level
EGW 60 MOA Scope Base
Timney Trigger
Les Tam Leather Sling
Williams dovetail blank
Cut down and thread barrel
SIG 22LR Suppressor

The Tminey Trigger made a huge difference.