• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Ruger Precision Rifle "Trainer" 22lr

The Ruger Precision Rifle "Trainer" 22lr

• Total voters
[h=1]BRINGING THE BIG-GUN EXPERIENCE TO THE RIMFIRE WORLD.[/h]
  • Molded, one-piece chassis and adjustable buttstock assembly are manufactured with glass-filled nylon for strength, stiffness and stability, making a solid foundation for accuracy each and every shot. Adjustable buttstock features a flat Picatinny bag rider making it easy to affix a rear monopod. A molded-in window provides a tether point for your squeeze bag, and a metal QD pocket makes it easy to secure a sling
  • Quick-Fit adjustable Precision Rimfire stock allows length of pull and comb height to be quickly and easily adjusted to get proper fit over a wide range of shooter sizes, outerwear and shooting positions. Indicating marks molded into the chassis help you quickly return to a previous position.
  • Big-Gun bolt throw adjustment enables shooters to change from a rimfire 1-1/2'' bolt throw to a short-action centerfire 3'' bolt throw, reducing the chance of short-stroking your bolt in competition.
  • Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger has a pull weight range of 2.25 to 5.0 pounds; adjusting wrench is stored in a buttstock compartment.
  • Ruger's own AR-Pattern pistol grip and safety selector incorporates an extended reach for maximum control and access to the 45 degree, reversible safety selector. May be configured with most AR-style grips and selectors.
  • Anodized Picatinny scope base includes 30 MOA elevation for increased long-range capabilities out of the box.
  • Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation (same as the Ruger Precision Rifle®).
  • 15" free-float M-LOK® handguard is made of hard black anodized aluminum and features M-LOK® slots on all four sides, for improved scope clearance and easy mounting of M-LOK® compatible rails and accessories.
  • 18" target barrel is cold hammer-forged from 4140 alloy steel to create ultra precise rifling for excellent accuracy. Barrels can be replaced easily by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges.
  • Threaded barrel (1/2"-28) for standard muzzle accessories, like the Silent-SR® suppressor, comes with a factory-installed thread protector covering both the threads and crown.
  • Accepts all 10/22® magazines.
  • Also includes: one, 15-round BX-15® magazine. Model 8401 ships with two, 10-round BX-1 magazines.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo84916.jpg
    photo84916.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 21
It's so freaking cheap I may have to get one just because

I wonder how easy are they to rebarrel

Not that I would need to change the barrel that often but per the website it will require an AR style wrench and headspace gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right off the bat I'm a little turned off by the glass-filled nylon chassis, I bet that will feel like its price.

Right off the bat I'm a little turned off by the glass-filled nylon chassis, I bet that will feel like its price.

It's got an MSRP of less than $550, I bet dealer pricing will be in the $300 range and retail probably $100 - $150 more. So no one should be surprised at the measures taken by Ruger to sell it that cheap

I just have to shake my head at some of the people on the rimfire subforum already shitting on it and saying "get a Vudoo". It's like telling someone thinking of buying a Civic "fuck that, get a Porsche Panamera".....

Last edited:
Is that the same trigger that is in the centerfire RPR? Cool if the aftermarket triggers drop right in

It's got an MSRP of less than $550, I bet dealer pricing will be in the $300 range and retail probably $100 - $150 more. So no one should be surprised at the measures taken by Ruger to sell it that cheap

I just have to shake my head at some of the people on the rimfire subforum already shitting on it and saying "get a Vudoo". It's like telling someone thinking of buying a Civic "fuck that, get a Porsche Panamera".....

This comments wins the internet for the day if you ask me.

Op:I would like to try this sport with a full set up for $1000 or less

After a few constructive responses someone says: you really should just get xzy custome rifle and xyz high end scope and call it a day..... $6000 later.

Obviously those things priced at the top are worth it or no one would buy them. But sometimes things on a budget can still be fun.

If you read my comment, I just mentioned that i would not be a fan of the polymer chassis, and that its feel will reflect its price... No where did I mention that it is a worthless gun that no one should consider. Don't lump me in with the people who think everyone needs top tier 22lr trainers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

No one has mentioned this yet but here it is again:
  • Big-Gun bolt throw adjustment enables shooters to change from a rimfire 1-1/2'' bolt throw to a short-action centerfire 3'' bolt throw, reducing the chance of short-stroking your bolt in competition.
That right there seems like the biggest "game changer" for a trainer. When I shoot my 22lr I ALWAYS miss up the bolt throw because I'm expecting a longer throw. After a few cycles I get it under control but if they are making a full bolt throw on a 22lr that's pretty neat.

No one has mentioned this yet but here it is again:
That right there seems like the biggest "game changer" for a trainer. When I shoot my 22lr I ALWAYS miss up the bolt throw because I'm expecting a longer throw. After a few cycles I get it under control but if they are making a full bolt throw on a 22lr that's pretty neat.
I have to agree.

If the bolt throw truly feels like it's big brother that alone goes a long way towards making it a winner. That's a big if though...

Is that the same trigger that is in the centerfire RPR? Cool if the aftermarket triggers drop right in
It is the same trigger per Ruger website.

The chassis isn't the same so we may have to wait and see to be sure. Though I would hazard a guess all the aftermarket options will fit and function roughly the same though.

If you read my comment, I just mentioned that i would not be a fan of the polymer chassis, and that its feel will reflect its price... No where did I mention that it is a worthless gun that no one should consider. Don't lump me in with the people who think everyone needs top tier 22lr trainers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
My response to you was the first paragraph, which is basically an agreement.

The second paragraph was a general comment about what I see in this forum (in general), without referencing anyone in particular

Last edited:
Let's see:
Reasonable price
Adjustable stock and cheekrest
Decent trigger
Looks super cool
American made

Sounds like a ready made kids entry level rifle. And if it gets another kid into the shooting sports, then I like it. Or any 22RF for that matter. Nothing to bitch about on my end.

What scope though?

Thinking in the vein of a kids starter RF, I'd consider the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x12x40. Mention it because I've one mounted on a .17HMR and it's a nice fit. A SWFA 10x should also work well. Both are in the 250-300 range.

There's lots of good optics out there for a rimfire in the 200-400 market.

One of the major benefits of the rpr, to my thinking, is the stock being in line with the bore of the rifle. This allows the recoil to be transmitted directly to the shooter, as opposed to using the rifle as a lever to lift the muzzle. But, this design feature also raises the drop at heel so that it is easier to get a proper cheek weld on the rifle. From looking at this 22, but without actually holding it, I am concerned that the drop at heel is sufficiently severe that the adjustable cheek piece won’t have enough travel to allow for a good cheek weld with a modern optic. I would be more impressed with this rifle if it had the same in line stock design as the rpr, even if molded in plastic...