• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing The Squirrel Season Countdown Thread

Re: The Squirrel Season Countdown Thread

We will be ready
grin.gif

DSCN0492Copy.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

ggmanning - would you mind shooting me a PM with that recipe?

Good lookin' kid, I fondly remember going squirrel hunting as a really young one.

PM sent. Good to find another squirrel eater...they are very good done right!

Squirrel hunting is how I teach my kids stalking, patience and good shooting. Some of my favorite times in the woods.

YES! YES! YES!

PM me the recipe as well. Terrific pics of the lad by the way.
Also, what is the name of that restaurant out at Sneads Ferry that is kind of a locals place and they make all of the fried food?

Thanks for the recipes! I'm sure my girlfriend will look at me funny but I'm going to try some this week. I still have 3 in the freezer from last season.

TP- You're not far from my parents' house in Saylorsburg. Usually around Christmas or Thanksgiving I shoot with a buddy in McAdoo. Maybe you can make it down for the day. If you're interested I'll let you know when we're going to head out, we're looking for 1400yd this year.

Season starts Sunday here in Indiana! To bad it's only 90 out...

That place is called Riverview....forty-one your PM's are full, Bill PM'd you the recipe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
TP- You're not far from my parents' house in Saylorsburg. Usually around Christmas or Thanksgiving I shoot with a buddy in McAdoo. Maybe you can make it down for the day. If you're interested I'll let you know when we're going to head out, we're looking for 1400yd this year.</div></div>

definately interested, pm me a couple of weeks before hand when your hooking up.

pertaining to the main subject, i'm trying to get a fox squirrel hunt going in central / western Pa., you don't happen to know of any good spots?

I would normally cringe at the thought of eating little critters like squirels, as im not overly fond of rabbit...

However after watching a few seasons of Bear Grylls in action, my mind has changed and im more inclined to eat anything with the exception of spiders!

GG your son looks like hes having a great time. Nothing beats the excitement of hunting for the first time.

vman that boy loves to hunt. He has already killed a bigger deer than I have....I told him it's the guide! He will stalk and sit still with me for hours for the chance at a shot.

Last time I shot a squirrel it was not for hunting, it kept dropping stuff on me while I was in the stand. Lets just say with a 223 I only saw a red puff...

We had a two week spring squirrel season in June here in VA. Took a good number of them around the house but you'd never know it as I'm still being overrun.

My dog doesn't know that there's a regulated season on the tree rats and gets one a week on average.

Looking forward to the goose/squirrel/dove combo hunt on the 4th.

I scraped bow season this year so squirrel, grouse, rabbit, and turkey areon the menu this year

would love to get that recipe also and some details on how you clean them, ty.

Cleaning them is pretty easy. In some hunting books and videos you'll see a guy dress out the squirrel like it's a deer or other large animal. While it works, it's a pain later on I've found.

I do this instead:

Get a very sharp knife or a little razor blade and a pair of solid kitchen shears. I have a pair of the Cutco shears that I love, they work great.

Pinch the belly skin and carefully slice an opening big enough to work 2 fingers into the hole. Do NOT cut into the abdominal muscles or into the gut-sack. You're just getting under the skin.

Work 2 fingers in and open a small pocket to get the scissors into the hole and cut/slit the hide from the belly to the throat and down to the anus.

You can make the decision as to whether or not you want to keep the hide and/or keep the tail attached to the hide. I'll approach it like you're keeping the tail attached and the hide.

That being said, don't cut the tail off or anything else. Now you've got the squirrel's hide peeled open a little and you can use your fingers and hands to skin it the rest of the way. Occasionally the knife/razor will be needed to separate the skin and muscles but you're peeling it like a piece of fruit, not cutting the hide.

Work the skin down around the limbs and just pull the feet out like a sock. This will flip the hide inside out but you just poke it properly. You can also choose to take the scissors and cut the hide "tube" on the leg open and lay it flat for curing afterward. It's a PITA to do this while still on the body.

Peel it up to the neck and down to the base of the tail. What you have left is the hide completely separated from the body except at the tail base and neck/skull join.

Take the knife and slice around the base of the skull and chop through the spine with the scissors, do the same at the tail.

You now have the head and tail and hide as one lump and a headless, tailless (but otherwise intact) body.

Take the sharp knife and slice open the abdonmen, use the scissors to cut up through the sternum and out to the neck and lay the body completely open. I use the heavy scissors to chop through the pelvis.

Peel the internal organs out into the trash can.

Wash well with cold water and decide if you're going to eat it in the next 2 days or if it should be bagged and frozen.

Do what you want with the hide. Cut the head off and throw it out and you're left with a nice intact hide and tail.

ETA: With a little practice, I got this method down to about a 3 minute process. From the time I would fire the shot to when the thing was seasoned and sitting in the freezer would be inside 10 minutes (I "hunted" from my back window a lot)

I make squirrel leg hot wings! Skin the critter, cut off the 4 quarters, throw out the rest, Slap them on the grill and baste them with a 50-50 mixture of hotwing and barbecue sauce.

Every time I made them the kids would holler for more and I would have to explain that you can only shoot 24 hotwings per day!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you can only shoot 24 hotwings per day!
grin.gif
</div></div>

LMAO...

6 more days here in Tennessee but I don't like shooting them in the summer. Too many have the Bot Fly larvae in them. I usually wait for a good frost before heading out for limbchicken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cleaning them is pretty easy. In some hunting books and videos you'll see a guy dress out the squirrel like it's a deer or other large animal. While it works, it's a pain later on I've found.

I do this instead:

Get a very sharp knife or a little razor blade and a pair of solid kitchen shears. I have a pair of the Cutco shears that I love, they work great.

Pinch the belly skin and carefully slice an opening big enough to work 2 fingers into the hole. Do NOT cut into the abdominal muscles or into the gut-sack. You're just getting under the skin.

Work 2 fingers in and open a small pocket to get the scissors into the hole and cut/slit the hide from the belly to the throat and down to the anus.

You can make the decision as to whether or not you want to keep the hide and/or keep the tail attached to the hide. I'll approach it like you're keeping the tail attached and the hide.

That being said, don't cut the tail off or anything else. Now you've got the squirrel's hide peeled open a little and you can use your fingers and hands to skin it the rest of the way. Occasionally the knife/razor will be needed to separate the skin and muscles but you're peeling it like a piece of fruit, not cutting the hide.

Work the skin down around the limbs and just pull the feet out like a sock. This will flip the hide inside out but you just poke it properly. You can also choose to take the scissors and cut the hide "tube" on the leg open and lay it flat for curing afterward. It's a PITA to do this while still on the body.

Peel it up to the neck and down to the base of the tail. What you have left is the hide completely separated from the body except at the tail base and neck/skull join.

Take the knife and slice around the base of the skull and chop through the spine with the scissors, do the same at the tail.

You now have the head and tail and hide as one lump and a headless, tailless (but otherwise intact) body.

Take the sharp knife and slice open the abdonmen, use the scissors to cut up through the sternum and out to the neck and lay the body completely open. I use the heavy scissors to chop through the pelvis.

Peel the internal organs out into the trash can.

Wash well with cold water and decide if you're going to eat it in the next 2 days or if it should be bagged and frozen.

Do what you want with the hide. Cut the head off and throw it out and you're left with a nice intact hide and tail.

ETA: With a little practice, I got this method down to about a 3 minute process. From the time I would fire the shot to when the thing was seasoned and sitting in the freezer would be inside 10 minutes (I "hunted" from my back window a lot) </div></div>

Thanks for posting this very helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for posting this very helpful. </div></div>

No problem. If you find a way to improve on the process please let me know, I'd like to iron it out some more wherever I can.

It works, but I use a method I was taught as a kid that we call "shucking," that takes about a minute. Once it frosts, I do it on the spot and put the carcass in a ziplock in my hunting coat. I leave the entrails, viscera, skin there for others.

Back when the menfolk in my family would compete, we would save the tails and sell them to Mepps. My dad still has the record with some absurd number like 140, but back in the day he would save 4 weeks of vacation to spend 8 hours of day running traplines as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you find a way to improve on the process please let me know, I'd like to iron it out some more wherever I can. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This </span>is how you skin a squirrel:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/66AVwthXgMA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/66AVwthXgMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You're welcome!

ya, when I read your post above, was thinking: wait'll he sees this!

Tips:

-Shuck 'em quick as you can after droppin' em. If you leave it to the end of the day the shirt doesn't come off easy.

-Skin first, then dress. Cuts down on fur sticking to carcass.

-Get a good flap going on that first cut, otherwise the tail only might come off.

After a couple times, takes longer to describe it than do it.

Dunno for groundhogs, I let the vultures skin them out. Have a hawk that follows me around now on one farm.

The method from the video above is exactly the method that I use as well. It is best to do it as soon as you can after the squirrel is dead, otherwise the skin has a tendency to hold on a bit more. After you skin them, dress them.
I carry some ziplocs and an ice pack in my hunting pouch to keep the carcasses cool until I get home. This method minimizes hair on the meat and keeps it fresh until cooking.

Mine doesn't open till October 18th. These tree rats in my back yard are going to get it. I can hardly wait.

You know, I usually use the shucking method.

This first one of the year got half the meat and its front legs shucked off, as well.

Gotta' watch it sometimes, I guess, early in the season before they build up fat - or that's the reason I was given for this phenomena, anyway.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come visit Chuck. Saturday evening I am going at them. Have a little meeting in the morning. </div></div>

I would take you up on that offer but I am driving up to Ohio this weekend for my brother in laws birthday and to visit the family. I have a lot here it just doesn't open till October. Deer bow season starts on the 11th this month though and I have quite a few bucks and does roaming around.

Starts here in VA Saturday the Sept 4th, whooooooooo, fried squirrel and squirrel gravy , nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the best days of the year.

And a wakeup...

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Squirrel Fricassee</span></span>
1 Squirrel; cleaned, dressed & disjointed
1/3 c Unsifted flour
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
3 tb Butter or margarine
1 md Yellow onion; peeled and minced
1 Clove garlic; peeled and crushed
1/4 c Julienne strips of lean ham
3/4 c Chicken broth
1/4 c Milk or light cream
1 tb Flour blended with 1/4 cup milk

Dredge squirrel in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper, then brown in a heavy saucepan in butter over moderately high heat. Add all but last ingredient; cover, and simmer about 1 hour until tender. Blend in flour paste and heat, stirring, until thickened. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed. Serve with hot biscuits.

If you hunt, you might want to save this Recipe Site </div></div>

Know that you are personally responsible for the upcoming death of at least a half dozen squirrel's in the very near future!

P.S. Thanks for the link as well.

-Pat