• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship The value of NPA...

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Just got done with an indoor/outdoor match here. For those who live in warmer climates and are fortunate enough not to know what that means
smile.gif
, in the winter months here we shoot from a heated hut onto outdoor targets at 200y. We shoot 20 shots offhand, then the targets are collected and scored. Nice way to spend a Sunday morning (everyone hangs out in the hut, chats, waits for their relay, etc.)

So like most of you probably do, I refine my technique in a round-robin fashion- I work on the weakest or most unknown part of the equation, shoot a bit, get better, then the next weakest link exposes itself, I refine that, etc., coming back around once all have risen a certain degree. Forums like this one and of course dry firing have been instrumental in this process.

Anyway, my big new "fix" this time around was NPA. I had always known about the concept, and practiced it haphazardly at best. Well, over the past few months I've really gone to treating every shot as its own self contained entity, which, most importantly, includes reforming my shooting position so that the NPA is spot on. With 20 minutes for 20 shots, I got to experiment today with timing and just how long I could take to reform and get a perfect PoA, and it's surprisingly giving.

Now, as I was refining this during all the dry fire sessions, before I'd even fired a single shot, I really got to thinking how it's so obvious how important this facet is to the equation, from a geometric perspective. I would actually venture to say it is the most senior element of them all. With a truly proper NPA, you perform like a mechanical device. There's no fighting the muscles, no struggling, no refocusing. Look, calm, pull. And when it's not spot on, the angular issues can be murder. I don't think it's an intuitive element at first, so you need to wrap your head around how patient you need to be and how much value can be had by making every shot "an easy shot"
smile.gif

So, how did I do?

Well, first off a bit of very important info- as some of you might remember, I shoot highpower with a very limited set of equipment - no glove, no coat, no 1907 sling. It's a personal preference thing, and I compete mostly with myself for score as I'm well aware the disadvantages it gives me. I also haven't had the chance to start hand loading yet, so use factory loads. I'm explaining this to show what a big improvement I saw with good NPA.

I shot a 184-1, placing me in 7th out of 31 shooters. Now, the 24 below me (and pretty much everyone above me) were nearly all shooting with the full highpower "regalia", hand loads, weighted rifles, custom rifles, the works. And yet, with good fundamentals I was able to best the majority.

For me, good NPA took it much more from a sport of tension and variability to one of patience and consistency. I daresay it almost becomes too easy when you follow the rules. Now, there are certain liberties I've taken with the classic doctrine to match my shooting style (mostly around breathing and trigger), but this one was a no brainer, and boy did I reap the benefits.

So, moral of the story. You've just taken a shot. Break it down, close your eyes, breath, relax, unwind. And get set up fully anew. How does the saying go? There's no previous shot, there's no next shot, there's only THIS SHOT?
smile.gif

Re: The value of NPA...

NPA is the building block for a relaxed position. This is at least 60% of the fundamentals you are talking about. Without this step consistancy would be hard to impossible to achieve.

Exactly. What was funny to me was hearing a lot of the old timers talk about how they wait for the "dance" of the front sight to hit the bull and then, admittedly, jerk a bit. Well, pretty telling then why the scores weren't astronomical
smile.gif
. I can't imagine solid consistency without this.

Absolutely, NPA is crucial. Shots will go toward NPA so having it where you want to impact is very important. Shooting smallbore in the winter has helped me with that alot. Much harder target than highpower and longer barrel time. I try to focus on NPA, Sight, trigger for every shot. When I don't it shows on the target. Trying to shoot every shot as perfectly as possible helps your scores.

If you haven't taken the time to read the thread entitled "fundamentals of marksmanship" I would suggest you find a few minutes to do so. It may answer all the questions having to do with just the fundamentals.

My .02

Oh, absolutely. It's one of my main docs, in addition to two others:

The Marine Corps M16 Marksmanship Manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/432351/USMC-MCRP-301A-Rifle-Marksmanship

And an older M14 Army Riflery Manual I have in pdf.

I think what I saw more here was, sort of like I described above, me being "ready" for the next bit of data to sink in. All the data is definitely there in writing, but I suppose like any subject, new bits are sinking in and becoming relevant as other parts become well understood. Can't get it all at once- need to shoot, learn, shoot, learn, etc.

Before, I had always established a generally good NPA and then shot every shot as is, never really reforming the position. This time it was a major place for improvement and it definitely helped.

Next up is probably trigger pull.

I teach at Appleseed events. We spend two days hammering in good positions which includes Natural Point of Aim. For precision shooting, having NPA is critical for any type of success. We tell students that understanding and using NPA is the difference between someone who is a professional and someone who is an amateur.

If you can use and understand NPA you can take a rack grade rifle and outshoot virtually everyone who doesn't have NPA and I don't care how much they spent on their gear.

In terms of importance, NPA is right at the top of things to have worked out before taking any shot. With practice, you can fall into a field position on target and be in NPA and send off fire accurately and rapidly. We call it the "Rifleman's Cadence." Which is one well-aimed shot for every breath you exhale. With enough practice, you'll find that when you get into position your body will naturally put you in NPA for your target with minimal adjustments needed. You'll just go right into it without thinking.

Keep working that NPA and your shooting will improve dramatically.

When you do it right, you can have somebody cover your eyes after you've taken aim. When they uncover your eyes - you are still on target.

Being able to hit 1" squares at 25 meters without seeing the target as one squeezes the trigger is absolutely awesome!

The NPA drill we do is at night, and takes place around 300 yards away in the dark... the ring of steel calling out from the black sends the point home.

The sound of silence is deafening

I'm guessing it has something to do with practicing extensively during daylight and then trying it "blind fold" style at night..
smile.gif

Another of the advantages of smallbore is that the target has 10 bulls at which you shoot 1 shot each. Changing your POA forces you to change you NPA. It makes you practice setting your NPA 10 times per target. If you are only practicing on single bull targets you might want to set up 2-3 targets and shoot them round robin. That way you'll be forced to practice setting your NPA more.

Jim Owens at http://www.jarheadtop.com/ teaches NPA using the blindfold method. He says his students often shoot better scores with their eyes closed once they're set up right for their NPA.

Perhaps you can chime in with suggestions on trigger control-

I find I tend to "infinitely" expand the time till break, no matter how light I set the trigger. What I mean is, I try to focus only on sight alignment and pull the trigger as steadily and slowly as possible while doing so. This leads me to take a while till it breaks to avoid any form of jerking. The problem is that it leads to muscle fatigue on the supporting hand (talking strictly about offhand). I know I need to apply "steadily increasing pressure" but it's tough- I'm always going very slow to avoid jerking, and it's causing more wobble than it's fixing at times. I'm just too hesitant to pull it too quickly. I end up shooting better on occasion by just firing as soon as I have the alignment rather than slowly taking the shot, and I know that's not good/reliable...

You should invest in the online training 100% of this is talked about extensively, each video breaks down the elements and gives you the tools to take back and practice.

Or not...

Like many have said here, the "Trigger School" video is worth the entire price of the training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps you can chime in with suggestions on trigger control-

I find I tend to "infinitely" expand the time till break, no matter how light I set the trigger. What I mean is, I try to focus only on sight alignment and pull the trigger as steadily and slowly as possible while doing so. This leads me to take a while till it breaks to avoid any form of jerking. The problem is that it leads to muscle fatigue on the supporting hand (talking strictly about offhand). I know I need to apply "steadily increasing pressure" but it's tough- I'm always going very slow to avoid jerking, and it's causing more wobble than it's fixing at times. I'm just too hesitant to pull it too quickly. I end up shooting better on occasion by just firing as soon as I have the alignment rather than slowly taking the shot, and I know that's not good/reliable...</div></div>

Trigger control is not about fast or slow, it's about SMOOTH. Of course, the whole idea is not to disturb aim. Sometimes you'll need to do it quickly, at other times you can be deliberate. My experience suggests that a firm handshake grip and a finger placed on the trigger where ever it's comfortable will inspire good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><snip> My experience suggests that a firm handshake grip and a finger placed on the trigger where ever it's comfortable will inspire good results. </div></div>

My Rika traces strongly suggest otherwise...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should invest in the online training 100% of this is talked about extensively, each video breaks down the elements and gives you the tools to take back and practice.

Or not...

</div></div>

Got a link?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><snip> My experience suggests that a firm handshake grip and a finger placed on the trigger where ever it's comfortable will inspire good results. </div></div>

My Rika traces strongly suggest otherwise...</div></div>

The reason I said "my experience" is that, although trigger control must be smooth, the technique to make it smooth will vary according to the shooter's needs in getting the body to fit the gun. Call and plot exercises will help the shooter realize when a proper relationship between the rifle and shooter has been achieved.

There is a lot of truth to what you say Skip, however the Rika facilitates one to go beyond what you can perceive just from being on the rifle looking at the sights. The bottom line is the AR15 Service Rifle with its 4.5 lb trigger takes a very specific hand placement as well as pressures on the rifle from the hand in order to get the point of aim while loading up the trigger, making the final pressure to set it off, and subsequent unloading of the trigger finger pressure on the rifle when it breaks in order for it to stay aligned when the shot breaks.

In prone I was a second pad/crack guy with the hand more around the side of the rifle until I started using the Rika. I am now back to first pad with the web of the hand squared behind the grip much like a pistol, then quite a bit of pressure from the thumb on the left side, combined with pressure from the fingers below the trigger straight back into the palm.

Someone PM'd me about exporting the traces and posting them; let me see if I can figure out how to do it some time.

Well, thanks to this thread, I went ahead and bought the lessons. And oh boy are they good. Shot 80 rounds yesterday with much improvement.

Keep up the good work gang.

You can't understand the importance of NPOA (that's what I call it anyway) until you learned how to get to yours.

I was always a good rifle shooter. Expert with the M16 and M14 in the US Army, I've never missed a deer (carted my M1A around in the woods), used to amaze my friends in college, etc., etc. I'll never forget my first Appleseed. The instructor would walk by and say, "Hey, nice groups. Any idea why they aren't on the target?" I didn't have a clue and it was frustrating as hell. Later I thought I'd figured it out but then found out I was wrong.
frown.gif
Once I did figure it out (my NPOA drill is to get in position, line up the sights with the target, close my eyes, take a breath then let it out and open my eyes to see if the sights and target are still aligned and make any adjustment by moving my body around that support elbow.) I was absolutely amazed at the difference it made in both group placement (on multiple targets in the same stage) and in my rate of fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81Z4ME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, nice groups. Any idea why they aren't on the target</div></div>

sorry, I got a chuckle out of that, so now it's in my sig

Hey, no problem. It's funny to me know, that's why I tell the story.
smile.gif

Its not something I'd ever seen - you get into position, you get comfortable and you shoot at your target. However, when you start moving your point of aim from one reduced size target to another if you don't have your NPOA you're in for a frustrating time.

Have a good one.

Nevermind, answered the question myself with a little looking. Good thread, though, and very interesting how much of a role NPA plays.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCummings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another of the advantages of smallbore is that the target has 10 bulls at which you shoot 1 shot each. Changing your POA forces you to change you NPA. It makes you practice setting your NPA 10 times per target. If you are only practicing on single bull targets you might want to set up 2-3 targets and shoot them round robin. That way you'll be forced to practice setting your NPA more.

Jim Owens at http://www.jarheadtop.com/ teaches NPA using the blindfold method. He says his students often shoot better scores with their eyes closed once they're set up right for their NPA. </div></div>

I was taught to shoot those targets in a vertical fashon when I was shooting smallbore. That way, it's really easy to to adjust... if you're offhand, for example, you only adjust your NPA three times... once for each row of targets.

almost the same prone but, breathing did most of the rest for small adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should invest in the online training 100% of this is talked about extensively, each video breaks down the elements and gives you the tools to take back and practice.

Or not...

</div></div>

I shot a LOT as a kid... I mean a LOT and had access to some REALLY great training ( including the AMU ). That was a long time ago.

I think I'm going to sign up for the videos. There can not be enough said about sound fundamentals.

I'm not doing any positional shooting like the match course anymore but, I'm doing some tactical matches lately and, I was asked to get into a sitting position in the last match. LOL I was one of the only guys that had a military sling that could a) get into a sling and b) know what a proper sitting position was. LOL

I just don't have good enough eyes anymore to shoot irons. It's just too hard to get a proper sight picture to see the front sight the right way.

I found my old shooting stool at mom's house. It still had my old carbide lamp in it along with a log book and a can of stick'em stuff we'd spray on our elbows before shooting our rapid strings.

First time I went to Perry, I was shooting on the louisiana state jr. team in 1978... I was a 14yr old kid with braces trying to handle an M14 shooting rapid strings. I had to get big wads of wax to clump into my teeth to keep from cutting up my thumb with my braces! haha

Or not...

</div></div>
Link to online training?