• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Wild Whites of West Virginia

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My wife and I saw a documentary tonight called The Wild Whites of West Virginia on Time Warner's On Demand. It was a Tribeca Film Festival selection and produced by Johnny Knoxville (of Jackass fame). Before you dismiss this movie because of Knoxville's sophomoric record, you should check this doc out. It was absolutely fascinating.

This movie follows an "outlaw" family in Boone County, WV, for one year showing their utter disregard for law, social norms, and discretion. Between the family members in jail, the rampant recreational drug use, and the complete surrealness of their lifestyle, it is an eye-opening look at life in the hollows of West Virginia coal country. The men are fighting and shooting people that cross them. The women are CONSTANTLY pregnant. The children drop out in middle school. They all live on government checks, committing prescription drug fraud, social security fraud, selling weed and pills, and generally living reckless lives. Yet beyond my complete repulsion at their lifestyle, the characters are largely reckless from a pervasive economic hopeless in the coal towns of Appalachia.

If you get a chance, check this movie out. Not only is it entertaining and often funny (you're laughing at the people, not with them), but at the end you see a part of America that is as foreign as cultures ten thousand miles away.

Re: The Wild Whites of West Virginia

Time Warner's running a couple dozen of the Tribeca Film Festival favorites this month on its Movies On Demand channel. That's channel 299 for me in NC.

Jesco White is quite a character.
My understanding is that he's the equivalent of Robin Hood in parts of West Virginia.
They've even given out Jesco bobbleheads at baseball games.

"You see a part of America that is as foreign as cultures ten thousand miles away" Depends where you grew up or how silver the spoon in your mouth is!! Looks like home to me! Just a bunch of poor white boys getting by. My Mothers family are all "Coal Miner" and my Fathers family are all city "Mobsters". I guess I am what you would call "Biker Trash" Welcome to the Jungle!
Scot

Yep, sounds like some folks I know, some of who are relatives. My dad is from backwoods Penn., my mom is from Alabama, and my wifes parents from from southern Appalachia region. My F-I-L made moonshine, poached, and other sorts of miscreantisms, but he's a good fellow that got straightened out eventually. A funny thing he used to do is buy a new car (in the early 50's), use it to run moonshine for a week or two, and when the police were catching on, would trade it in on another car. From my wifes stories, he might have had 30 different cars in a year.

Recently the sheriff and his deputies got busted for selling drugs, running the marijuana business in the area. They got tagged because two of the deputies tried to kill a guy because one of the deputies was seeing the mans wife on the side.

MLC, you just gave me a "Dancing Outlaw" flashback...

Hell that looks just like SE Oklahoma to me. I mean half the biggest losers in the state or relatives.

Dogtown,
I've only seen parts of that movie thanks to the internet.
Rich in character those Whites.

If you like the "Dancing Outlaw", then you need to check this doc out. Really entertaining.

AS if West Virginia doesn't have a bad enough name already now the Hollywood libtards are making a movie about these yayhoos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtpickens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AS if West Virginia doesn't have a bad enough name already now the Hollywood libtards are making a movie about these yayhoos. </div></div>

You shouldn't assume the film is negative. Johnny Knoxville, the producer, actually pushed for a sympathetic portrait of that clan. The local authorities (judge, attorney, historian, etc) come off as extremely intelligent and informed. The movie focuses on the "Wild Whites" part much more so than the West Virginia part.

As I keep saying, stop speculating, and go see the movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtpickens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AS if West Virginia doesn't have a bad enough name already now the Hollywood libtards are making a movie about these yayhoos. </div></div>

Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn't it?
wink.gif

Don't get the wrong impression

Most of WV is comparable to any rural portion of the US. Sure, the coalfields are rough, but my part of the state is mostly law abiding, employed, and coal free.

I used to see Jesco out on the town in Charleston during the mid 90s. He thought himself a real celebrity, and often performed as a rather pitiful Elvis impersonator.

Last weeks election has initiated a federal investigation for wide scale voter fraud in the same area.

Bill
From White Sulphur Springs, WV