• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Thanks. He maybe didn't notice, but there was a VERY watchful eye on him at all times. My biggest fear is, I may have lost my job runnin' saw :ROFLMAO:.

I can sympathize with the "watchful eye". I'm a wreck when momma is running the saw, but she's a good sport about my nervous hovering. And I think @Geno C. nailed it: when it's time to run the "big" saw with the 28" bar she gladly relinquishes the cutting duties.

Here is a question for someone who knows more them I do about seasoned firewood.
I cut two branches off of a standing dead elm tree. Enough for a pick up load when cut. The tree has been standing dead for six years.
My question is; how much longer must it sit, split, before it is well seasoned for burning?
I managed to split it all today and Wife and Kids hauled and stacked it.
I wonder if I can post pictures...

4AECFA52-2BA0-4E94-BE99-F7FD4BCC62E5.jpegEF60B26E-1FE5-4778-A868-D3BE9A8C29B3.jpeg92F3F735-FB3E-4593-94FE-FBE218FAF579.jpeg
If you can see her, Daughter is standing at the base of that tree. The two lowest branches on the right came down yesterday.
They were thicker than the length of my Stihl pole saw, requiring a cut from both sides to bring them down.
Lotsa good wood in there!

No reason it shouldn’t be good to go now. Any part of the interior being yellow would let you know it’s still green. Hand split a metric shitload of green elm growing up. I think Dad was trying to see if he could break me. It sure burns clean and hot though.

Last edited:
I agree with Zick. Should be fine. Dead standing that long, bark is long gone, and still standing, it was shedding water as of late with our heavy rains, etc... Quality high BTU wood and be thankful for hydraulics! It’s hell to split by hand.

We had about 45 minutes after school tonight to actually go into the timber. Found a relatively easy downed limb for him to work on. He’s still slow, but I’m ok with that. I still watch him closely and we stop and talk about stuff that I see him doing or not doing properly. Slow but sure so far.

FD5AA132-29C6-4044-A3C0-C1313BC9968F.jpeg

On a more somber note, let’s all be careful as we enter prime cutting season. Neighbor yesterday killed just a mile NE of here felling. When it goes wrong, it happens quick. I don’t know his experience level, but speculate that it was limited. I’ve not personally seen the photos, but would like to see the felling cuts. Always trying to learn and stay safe.

My next door neighbor is a lineman. Only person more pro at cutting shot is a tree service guy. Couple weeks ago, caught a branch to the face that cracked his face open like an egg! Broken teeth and nose and lots of stitches to put his face back together.

It can happen to anyone

Love it rleonard! Really nice stacks too! Wood species? Oak?

I try and harvest white and red oaks, but other hardwoods will do. I look for tall, straight logs. I have an arrangement worked with an airport. Their ILS approach goes over a wooded area. Over time, trees grow up and encroach into the approach path. They have to be harvested to keep the ILS safe.

I try and harvest white and red oaks, but other hardwoods will do. I look for tall, straight logs. I have an arrangement worked with an airport. Their ILS approach goes over a wooded area. Over time, trees grow up and encroach into the approach path. They have to be harvested to keep the ILS safe.

Nice! High BTU wood there. What airport? KMTO?

Last edited:
i love my 261, i swear i have to have a couple hundred gallons of fuel thru it.
im on the third 20 inch bar
This will be the second season on this one. If I could only have one saw, I believe it would be a 261.

Any one with some better understanding of the 271? I've had it for a few months now and it cuts great, but any time I let it sit for any longer than it takes to fill the tanks (like touching up the chain) it doesn't start again... I was told that not letting in run dry will save me but that didn't work all that well. It will fire off then shut down after about 1 second like its starving for fuel.

Someone save me from chucking it into the woods!

Attachments

• 20181027_162208.jpg
    20181027_162208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
what octaine are you using.
i had a saw that did that and a friend told me to go up a couple numbers...
use a higher octaine level, and dont let your saw run out is correct, but hell, i always run it out, i just know when it gets ready to cough and i shut it down
before running it all the way out, it will lean things too far out and get hotter than it should

Reactions: tnichols
I'm running the highest I can get in town, somewhere in the 90's, other than that I could buy the premix stuff but I'd rather not. I'm going to swing by ace and talk to them about it.

My Husky 440 does the same thing. If I just touch the trigger enough to feel it under my finger, it starts and runs no problem.
I bought my saw used so it might have other issues. I did have to mess with the air fuel mixture and idle a bit, but it sure cuts nice with a sharp chain.

Any one with some better understanding of the 271? I've had it for a few months now and it cuts great, but any time I let it sit for any longer than it takes to fill the tanks (like touching up the chain) it doesn't start again... I was told that not letting in run dry will save me but that didn't work all that well. It will fire off then shut down after about 1 second like its starving for fuel.

Someone save me from chucking it into the woods!
I bought a used Stihl from a guy that had about 10 of them in various stages of rebuild. He cautioned me when I bought it that if I shut it off for any short length of time and it wouldn't start, to stand it on end, chain down, and give the cord a couple of pulls, turned off. Then try to start it as you normally would.
I have done just as he suggested a few times and it works for me with that specific saw.
As far as a higher octane mix, if you go back several pages, Nichols has a recipe for what he calls "poor man's motomix" I am running it in all of my Stihls now.
Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Barneybdb
I bought a used Stihl from a guy that had about 10 of them in various stages of rebuild. He cautioned me when I bought it that if I shut it off for any short length of time and it wouldn't start, to stand it on end, chain down, and give the cord a couple of pulls, turned off. Then try to start it as you normally would.
I have done just as he suggested a few times and it works for me with that specific saw.
As far as a higher octane mix, if you go back several pages, Nichols has a recipe for what he calls "poor man's motomix" I am running it in all of my Stihls now.
Best of luck to you!

I've got about 5 more cords to cut so I should have a chance to try it! Thanks for the tip. I also should be under warranty so if I end up needing to stand on my head then I'll send it back.

Thanks guys, should be an interesting thread to read through. Also are there's a guy with a YouTube channel called wanglerstar, any opinion on him? I've enjoyed how hes turned man work into his hobby. A lot of chainsaw and axe videos. But hes also dipping his toes into long range shooting so that's a +

A carb cleaning might help your cause. After cutting, my saws get a quick “cleaning” with an air hose, including the air filter. Fuel quality is so piss poor these days, that can lead to starting problems as well. A hot start is a lean condition, and start accordingly. A saw that is hard to start, especially hot is no bueno (because you’re hot). Find a good dealer if this problem persists and have them give it a good tune up. If it still is a problem starter, send it down the road. Life is too short to fight inferior equipment.

I kinda thought lean also. Bad juju for a 2 stroke engine.
I run non ethanol in mine so I shouldn't have any fuel blockage issues but I'll check anyway.

Thanks for the tip

A carb cleaning might help your cause. After cutting, my saws get a quick “cleaning” with an air hose, including the air filter. Fuel quality is so piss poor these days, that can lead to starting problems as well. A hot start is a lean condition, and start accordingly. A saw that is hard to start, especially hot is no bueno (because you’re hot). Find a good dealer if this problem persists and have them give it a good tune up. If it still is a problem starter, send it down the road. Life is too short to fight inferior equipment.

well said...
my 261 gets set down while running if a customer comes up and i have forgotten about it and left it idle for almost a half tank. saw dont care, it just sits there and cacts
being a cheapskate i used to buy the 87 oc. always had probs w my old farm boss, replaced it w the pro 261, and slightly had probs.
it wasnt until i jumped up to the 90 whatever that i use now, that the hot no starts went away...

i believe, ut ohhh, i believe the higher the octaine number ther higher the fuels resistency to burn, better for a hotter saw...

hopefully it works, if not, dump it and get anouther one...

keep up w your sprocket also, when worn badly it will rob the HP out of your saw

thats the queen right there.

broken stolen or if it flat ass wears out, i will buy one just like it.
look where the exhaust port is, that crude dont scrub off, thats from keeping the hammer down for tankloads at a time

Showed up at casa Honeybadger after getting a couple of needles stuck in my spine today.
He was talking a break after running the second tank full dry.

This pile is being dismantled by customers buying bundles, 4×4×4 bags and truck loads.
Mike is working on a new pile further back on the property.
This one that's up front is much smaller than it was a couple weeks ago.

20181030_134530.jpg

Showed up at casa Honeybadger after getting a couple of needles stuck in my spine today.
He was talking a break after running the second tank full dry.

This pile is being dismantled by customers buying bundles, 4×4×4 bags and truck loads.
Mike is working on a new pile further back on the property.
This one that's up front is much smaller than it was a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 6963605
Great picture, he's a fricken' stud. I'm still in awe that there is that much of a demand for firewood in FL.

Great picture, he's a fricken' stud. I'm still in awe that there is that much of a demand for firewood in FL.

Tom,
On my 50 mile drive to see my doc, one thing was very noticeable. It was the tan haze hanging in the air all over the bay area.
It looked like smog but smelled like firewood burning.
With all the new home construction, there are thousands of oak trees being ripped out of the ground daily.
They either get turned into firewood or slow burned on site. Those slow burns are such a waste.

Might as well make something useable out of those old trees.

Tom,
On my 50 mile drive to see my doc, one thing was very noticeable. It was the tan haze hanging in the air all over the bay area.
It looked like smog but smelled like firewood burning.
With all the new home construction, there are thousands of oak trees being ripped out of the ground daily.
They either get turned into firewood or slow burned on site. Those slow burns are such a waste.

Might as well make something useable out of those old trees.

And here I am burning pine and cotton wood....

thanks again mikie

like mike said above i was taking a break yesterday and low and behold guess who popped by, our friend mike.
great surprise
a bit after you left mike my friend dropped these off, love em, red cedar.
fucker is going to cost me money, lots. now my sawmill fever will be pegged out till i go off and buy one...