• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

IDK. Major Wader might offer his answer. Trees are so different geographically that if you’re not from that area it’s tough to tell. Heck, I still get baffled from time to time and I’ve lived in these parts most my life. Dead standing, no bark, no leaf, etc...can make it a tough call.

That one was a Black Gum, also called Tupelo in some areas.

I have the bottom section ricked and drying to make some mallets.

What manufacturer do y’all say has the best saws on the market right now? I’m looking for my own personal saw right now, and have always been partial to Huskies. Something with a 20” bar and able to fall and buck pines to hardwood.

You really can't go wrong with Stihl or Husky, ever... Dolmar makes great saws as well. Echo's are hit and miss in my experience, some models are great, others are just fair. I ran my own logging business for a few years, and have worked for arborists and tree services, so I've got thousands of hours running saws.

Really depends on what you want to spend, and if you're going to go new or used. I love my 562xp Husky for the size you're looking for, really a heck of a saw, but for an occasional use saw, its overkill, and expensive. It'll pull a 20" bar with ease, and since moving to a desk job and downsizing my collection, it occasionally has to run a 28" bar (with skip tooth chain) when I get into bigger wood, since it's the biggest saw I own at this point. Makes me miss my Dolmar 7900...

If it's just a once a week use saw or less, just grab a Farm Boss or Rancher. They're a little heavier, and a little less powerful than the pro grade saws, but they're plentiful for parts, and most service centers work on them regularly, so they'll know what they're doing. End of the day, go with whichever dealer has better service. That's my opinion.

If you're willing to go with something used, check out arboristsite.com's classifieds. You can find some well cared for saws over there, with many of them being pro grade saws with quality bars on them for not much more than you'd spend on a farm/ranch grade new saw. If you take care of them, a pro grade saw will last you a lifetime with occasional use. Oh, and don't let them sit unused too long, that's what kills them!

What manufacturer do y’all say has the best saws on the market right now? I’m looking for my own personal saw right now, and have always been partial to Huskies. Something with a 20” bar and able to fall and buck pines to hardwood.

Unless you're running one for a living, a husky would do you just fine for heavy personal use. I've had two in my life. The 1st one ran for ten years & I sold it to buy the one I have now. I didn't even have to change the main shaft bearing until 9 years into it, amazing.

I used to work in a sawmill in B.C., and all the deckhands there used Husky 61 or 62's, I can't remember which. I think it was 62's. Thing is, I don't see anyone talking/hinting at such here at all. Why is that? Those things were workhorses bigtime, and got put through their paces a lot.

One of the deckhands even 'supercharged' one by connecting the shop air supply (92-95 psi) to the intake (which happened to be standard pipe threads) and that thing ran like there was no-tomorrow.

For about 16 seconds.

I can't remember the length of the bars, either... other than that they were long. In the area of a couple of feet long. Damn I wish my memory was better.

Reactions: camocorvette
You really can't go wrong with Stihl or Husky, ever... Dolmar makes great saws as well. Echo's are hit and miss in my experience, some models are great, others are just fair. I ran my own logging business for a few years, and have worked for arborists and tree services, so I've got thousands of hours running saws.

Really depends on what you want to spend, and if you're going to go new or used. I love my 562xp Husky for the size you're looking for, really a heck of a saw, but for an occasional use saw, its overkill, and expensive. It'll pull a 20" bar with ease, and since moving to a desk job and downsizing my collection, it occasionally has to run a 28" bar (with skip tooth chain) when I get into bigger wood, since it's the biggest saw I own at this point. Makes me miss my Dolmar 7900...

If it's just a once a week use saw or less, just grab a Farm Boss or Rancher. They're a little heavier, and a little less powerful than the pro grade saws, but they're plentiful for parts, and most service centers work on them regularly, so they'll know what they're doing. End of the day, go with whichever dealer has better service. That's my opinion.

If you're willing to go with something used, check out arboristsite.com's classifieds. You can find some well cared for saws over there, with many of them being pro grade saws with quality bars on them for not much more than you'd spend on a farm/ranch grade new saw. If you take care of them, a pro grade saw will last you a lifetime with occasional use. Oh, and don't let them sit unused too long, that's what kills them!

Good advice ^^^

One thing I might add, if you can or want to afford it, professional grade Husky or Stihl. Just because you don’t run one for a living, it’s ok to own the best.

Thanks for that. I’ve got a few saw shops around we use for work, so I’ll go check them out. I do like your idea though about the arborist site. If I can snag a pro at the price of a farmboss, I’d be set for a long time.

That's what I like about the Dolmar. They don't have a big box store line, only the dealer network line.

In the pro line, not a lot of quality difference between Dolmar, Husky, or Stihl. I bought the Dolmar because at that time, it had higher HP and RPM for the weight and bar length.

Couldn't tell you now if that is still true or not, but it is one hell of a saw.

I'll warn anyone considering a visit to to the AS or OPE forums that it's just like this place, but for saws. You instantly go down the rabbit hole of "only the best, and then modify it" like we do with rifles. I impulse bought a non-running saw there the other day for parts for another non-running saw I have. BAM, now I'm collecting chainsaws like they're guns or scopes.

I'll warn anyone considering a visit to to the AS or OPE forums that it's just like this place, but for saws. You instantly go down the rabbit hole of "only the best, and then modify it" like we do with rifles. I impulse bought a non-running saw there the other day for parts for another non-running saw I have. BAM, now I'm collecting chainsaws like they're guns or scopes.

It's like any addiction. You got hooked, and then you need more, and more, AND MORE ...

we have ruined ya

I currently have a MS 391 and I have realized that it's time for a bigger saw, something in the 30-36" bar size. What do you suggest? Local Bobcat dealer stocks Stihl Pro saws.

Don’t say that. I’m already in trouble for my kayak fishing addiction and all the “accessories” I buy

I have always lurked but never posted. Until this thread. Too much fun wrapped up in this. The hurricane dropped or wrecked a few trees this year so I had to get to work. Too bad it took out the top of the biggest tree on the property. The Stihl 660 with the 36" bar made felling the big white oak a lot safer.

Attachments

• photo84737.jpg
    photo84737.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 170
  • photo84738.jpg
    photo84738.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 174
  • photo84739.jpg
    photo84739.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 179
  • photo84740.jpg
    photo84740.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 194
  • photo84741.jpg
    photo84741.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 180
  • photo84742.jpg
    photo84742.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 186
  • photo84743.jpg
    photo84743.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 192
Now that is a pile of lumber......what are your plans for it?

No plans yet. but having a couple of 6" x 24" x 12' heartwood white oak hanging around will be nice. If it falls it saws. It will take 6 years to air dry though. Next up is a solar kiln.

Surprised no one has mentioned Jonsered for a great saw? I think they actually own Husky now. Can’t go wrong with a Stihl either. I have one my grandfather used 20 years ago as a logger. That saw still runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised no one has mentioned Jonsered for a great saw? I think they actually own Husky now. Can’t go wrong with a Stihl either. I have one my grandfather used 20 years ago as a logger. That saw still runs great.

Not a thing wrong with the old Jonny’s. Really solid saws in their day. We had a couple when I was a kid. Tough to find parts or support for these days.

Trouble with a lot of old saws is parts. Just like guns, there are those of us who treasure and preserve, and those who beat with a hammer.

I retired my 14,000 RPM Homelite EZ from 1964 3 years ago because the muffler screws won't stay tight. Cuts like a beast, louder that 2 train wrecks.

And that's when the muffler is tight.

Reactions: 22Hshots
I've used Stihls, Dolmars, Jonsereds and Huskies. They're all good saws. If you get the forestry grade ones - it really is worth the extra money.

Now I'm old and fat (I carried a doe a mile last month, and had to stop for four rest breaks. I could do it in one hit, once...), I use a Husky. The power
to weight ratio does it for me, and you can rebuild a Husky on the tailgate of the pickup with a few hand tools - not so with a Stihl.

Use a bar as short as possible - saves robbing power, and less to sharpen.

Remember, it's a saw, not a dick extension.

Dallas34, would love to have a nice 32-36' wide plank of that about 6 feet long to make a table out of.

I may have to go home to IA to find a big oak or walnut to cut to make a kitchen table out of someday. Maybe a round? My dad had a big red oak cut out of his front yard that was 60" across at the base before they ground the stump...... That 4' thick would have made a helluva table.

Nice pictures and stories fellas, nice to read.

Reactions: 22Hshots
Not a thing wrong with the old Jonny’s. Really solid saws in their day. We had a couple when I was a kid. Tough to find parts or support for these days.

Jonsered is still alive and well as far as I know, still offering new saws. I hear you on the parts though. I had an old 70E that broke the tensioner, and couldn’t find a new one anywhere.

I have always lurked but never posted. Until this thread. Too much fun wrapped up in this. The hurricane dropped or wrecked a few trees this year so I had to get to work. Too bad it took out the top of the biggest tree on the property. The Stihl 660 with the 36" bar made felling the big white oak a lot safer.

Dallas, You have some nice looking gear. What make is your band mill? I've never seen a vertical one only horizontal like wood mizer.

No plans yet. but having a couple of 6" x 24" x 12' heartwood white oak hanging around will be nice. If it falls it saws. It will take 6 years to air dry though. Next up is a solar kiln.

My son has a wood mizer mill. I have a question about the lumber pictures. What is the purpose of painting the ends of your lumber?

What is the purpose of painting the ends of your lumber?

1) If you cut a live tree it will have a lot of water in it
2) As wood dries it will shrink
3) The end grain is open to the air and will dry faster than the center of the board
4) This means that the center of the board becomes wider than the ends and this stresses the ends and they begin to split- this is called checking
5) Paint can plug the pores at the end of the board so that the board will dry more evenly and there will be less checking.
6) For me the paint also serves a secondary purpose, I use one color for maple, another color for ash, another color for elm, and another color for cherry. After the boards have been in the barn a few years it is not always easy to remember what is what, and rough sawed lumber is not that visually distinctive.

I currently have a MS 391 and I have realized that it's time for a bigger saw, something in the 30-36" bar size. What do you suggest? Local Bobcat dealer stocks Stihl Pro saws.

If its main job is going to be pulling a bar that size, you're into the 80-90cc range. For a new Stihl your starting point is probably going to be the 660 series. Also start looking at skip or semi-skip chains depending on what you're cutting at that size.

As for the Johnsereds , I hear that there's a lot of parts compatibility with Husky. What's dangerous for me is that I have a pro dealer that stocks both Husky and Stihl next door to a Tractor Supply that's sells Johnsereds, just a couple miles from the house. I'll be in the neighborhood and just stop in and play with saws. It's like that urge to stop in a good LGS just for fun and always finding new shit you've got to have.

dallas34 , that's a wicked setup. I'd love to have the availability of a mill. I took down a maple for my neighbor that had some great curling and I was cringing as I split it into firewood. I've considered devoting one of my saws to an Alaskan Mill at some point down the road just for those occasions.

1) If you cut a live tree it will have a lot of water in it
2) As wood dries it will shrink
3) The end grain is open to the air and will dry faster than the center of the board
4) This means that the center of the board becomes wider than the ends and this stresses the ends and they begin to split- this is called checking
5) Paint can plug the pores at the end of the board so that the board will dry more evenly and there will be less checking.
6) For me the paint also serves a secondary purpose, I use one color for maple, another color for ash, another color for elm, and another color for cherry. After the boards have been in the barn a few years it is not always easy to remember what is what, and rough sawed lumber is not that visually distinctive.

Thanks for this detailed explanation. My son may know this already but I was unaware of it. I'll pass it on to him since I know he does not do this now.

I haven't posted in a while,. That 2 ears and 2 eyes and only 1 mouth thing. Anyway. towards the end of the summer getting close to hunting season I decided to clear off some of my back field. I needed some more pasture space. I was running my old saw pretty hard and it finally quit. The guy that usually does the work on my stuff has a sick child and had been sitting at childrens hospital with him for a week. The farm stores that carry the better stuff were all closed so I ran over to Lowes and grabbed a Husky to get me by until my friend could work on my saw. What a POS it is. I spend more time adjusting the chain and keeping that POS running than sawing. I tried 2 different brands of chains and 2 different bars.
Maybe it's just me. But I have to adjust the damn chain every 10 minutes or so. It will be completely stretched before I have sharpened it a couple times. Any ideas. I used an Oregon chain and a Husky chain possibly another brand but can't recall right now.

Bogeybrown, you might want to ask around who has a portable band mill then go introduce yourself. It is not at all uncommon for those guys to be willing to show up with their saw and help you do a day of milling for a very reasonable price. Sometimes you can even work out a barter where you help him with some sawing and he will do some sawing for you when you need it.

Bring a dust mask. Most sawmill operators don't bother but it can't be good to choke on sawdust all day.

I don't even know what hard drive I'd have to look through to find pictures of the wood piles we had when living in MI. We moved to CO in '04 and I've been in woodburning withdrawal ever since. We had two places at our MI homestead for wood storage - a 22 x 14 x 10' tall pole barn and a 16 x 16 x 11' room attached to the house. We'd use the pole barn to store fresh cut, un-split wood until we had time to split it and move it to the 16x16' room. We had a nice splitting area in the 16x 16 with hard rubber over wood over concrete around a knee-high oak plug. Once it got real cold, we'd split kindling indoors. Our property had a mix of poplar, evergreen and hardwood but I killed most of the poplar off and burned it. One year we got 40 full (not face) cords of red oak when a freak storm blew in from the NE and uprooted trees all over mid-Michigan. We just drove around and asked folks if they wanted us to remove their downed trees. I burned 2 weeks of vacation cutting wood and loved every minute of it. Many of those red oak stumps were 2' in diameter, easy to split by hand so I just split them on site. Good times.

Man I love cutting wood. Over the years I've slowly designed and built equipment to make it easier on myself and family.

Here's a couple of grapples. One for a John Deere and one w quick attach for the skid steer.

Saw mill that I helped design and build with a couple of buddies.

And then the piles of wood from recent years. Have always burnt wood and grew up in a house that burnt wood.

539945a0d3f9d9f722e44f5311feda36.jpg

e23a91fb79ea263b669b7b140ff55388.jpg

0d7d95ad788fca9bf0403f107cfd4dc9.jpg

b0f4b93f93d96a057f996dc36436a5c6.jpg

7649aac02e6b208767d92eff6131eb79.jpg
122321650c81eb6d60cc55cdd03a03ef.jpg
2a9dbbff779793911cb17ea6fdecef15.jpg

And I was too cheap to buy an outdoor woodburner so I built one. Going on 9 years now.
c04df8dbe84ae315cf5d1abccf286b20.jpg

Dallas34, would love to have a nice 32-36' wide plank of that about 6 feet long to make a table out of.

I may have to go home to IA to find a big oak or walnut to cut to make a kitchen table out of someday. Maybe a round? My dad had a big red oak cut out of his front yard that was 60" across at the base before they ground the stump...... That 4' thick would have made a helluva table.

Nice pictures and stories fellas, nice to read.

PM sent. Nothing 32" wide because I was limited by the mill. Had to square it up at 24"