• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Last of our trees damaged from the August derecho. Was always an ugly tree, but it provided late afternoon shade on the pistol range, so I left it. Always said there would come a day that I’d be digging that thing out of standing corn in July or August. For once in my life I was right. Chained it to prevent a barber chair (it had probably 30 degrees of head lean), took down 3 rod of fence, and tipped it over this afternoon. Piss Elm. Was shocked to not hit metal, but haven’t done the stump cut yet, so that opportunity awaits tomorrow.
View attachment 7478908View attachment 7478909View attachment 7478910

Was that an actual living tree? That's the ugliest tree I've ever seen. Do you have pictures of what the inside of the tree looks like?

Last of our trees damaged from the August derecho. Was always an ugly tree, but it provided late afternoon shade on the pistol range, so I left it. Always said there would come a day that I’d be digging that thing out of standing corn in July or August. For once in my life I was right. Chained it to prevent a barber chair (it had probably 30 degrees of head lean), took down 3 rod of fence, and tipped it over this afternoon. Piss Elm. Was shocked to not hit metal, but haven’t done the stump cut yet, so that opportunity awaits tomorrow.
View attachment 7478908View attachment 7478909View attachment 7478910
Piss elm still burns decent.

They finally opened the national forest after the fires here this fall, went out to look for a Turkey and threw the saw in for trees across the road. Glad I did as the fire crews dropped a lot of the oaks next to the roads. I’m not one to pass on black oak 30 ft. Straight, no limbs and one whack splitting!
1B7AD66D-F005-4B55-8140-5A513CCB4B69.jpeg

Was that an actual living tree? That's the ugliest tree I've ever seen. Do you have pictures of what the inside of the tree looks like?
Ugly as sin for sure. Looked better pre derecho. Pics later in this thread of the inside. Mostly still living with that bad spot on one side. Miss Lori stopped counting growth rings at 100.

The stump cut did not disappoint with many hidden treasures. This was easily my favorite. I plan on a bit of filing next rainy day. 441 and 261 chains need a good tune up.
5BC0EE4B-3005-4E77-9959-8D278B8EBA4F.jpeg

I can't say anything but good for the261.
I easily have over a hundred gallons of fuel through it.
I run a 20 inch bar tho. I've got a bad back and believe it or not those extra 2 inches helps tremendously.
A 32 on the 461
Another "Thumbs Up" for the Stihl MS261. I run a 20" bar and it has a great balance of power to weight.

Reactions: tnichols
While this isn’t a round it will make a nice live edge table top.

H3NIoq.jpg

An friend knocked down a large walnut several years back and had it milled.
I picked up this slab from him. In the pic it measures 26x66x2.5”. I already squared the top side in the pic to remove the rot. Unfortunately it was too wet to work at the time. It’s been clamped up and drying in my garage attic for 3 years and should be ready for completion. I need to pick up a new moisture meter before continuing though.

Finally made it back to my old stomping grounds today. Timber is thick with blown down limbs and main stems. Barely made a dent in it. Worked on a couple of dead standing Red Elm and the top of blown down dead standing Oak. Much work to do, but it’s a start. If you think you have a sharp bar chain, dip your toe in this water and see. Dead standing 3-5 years and it gets harder than the hubs of Hell. Ready to burn when you cut it.
F29F45AC-3516-4435-B013-08B5FAD83B1D.jpeg
B219D437-BAAF-4F46-B5B2-290CA79291CC.jpeg

Dead Red elm that's standing is great stuff. I get all of mine from the rIver bluff. Drop it and pull it out to a bare spot you can get the PU to. It takes more effort and a long cable , but worth it. Wife likes the lack of bark and bugs.

Dead Red elm that's standing is great stuff. I get all of mine from the rIver bluff. Drop it and pull it out to a bare spot you can get the PU to. It takes more effort and a long cable , but worth it. Wife likes the lack of bark and bugs.
Processes nice too typically.
11A5AC30-6E96-4639-A2FB-AD8428C32C1D.jpeg

Reactions: 22Hshots
Of course, it inserted the pics in the wrong order of best to least desirable, but I’m sure you can figure it out.

Sugar maple and mulberry more BTU than red oak? I’m doin it wrong...
Mulberry has always been underrated. It’s a cousin to Hedge. I’ve burned a fair amount of it (Mulberry), but it doesn’t have a pleasant smell. If I’m outside working in the yard, the stove gets Hickory, Oak, or Cherry, just for the smell.

You’re not doing it wrong, you’re burning what is available.

I’m just thinking about all the wood (maple, mulberry, hackberry) I’ve pushed in a pile and let rot. I see all the wasted potential in every patch of trees. Not the worst problem to have I suppose.
I’ve done it as well over the years. I always said that Mulberry should be the State tree of Iowa. Grows like a weed here, fence lines are full of it, etc... It’s been cut and pushed into brush piles and burned here for years. Most of it is bushy crap with virtually nothing straight in it. However, find it in a timber where it’s forced to grow straight up, it’s not bad. As mentioned in a previous post, it’s not the most pleasant smelling wood when burned.

Working for the tree service today doing nothing more than getting big trees off of pasture fence post derecho. Older gentleman owns the property and doesn’t have the equipment, crew, or physical ability to tackle an ominous task like this. Super nice guy. His placed was trashed. This was thick timber full of Oak, Cherry, Linden, Hackberry, etc... View from this morning as were setting up.
58BA8F68-DF36-46F7-AFC9-98B88F23B68B.jpeg

Bark off standing red oak. Killed by carpenter ants. The outside 1/2” of the whole thing is fluff but man those 36” rounds make a ton of chunks.
Nice! That will be premium stuff 👍🏻. Charge accordingly 😉

Last edited:
Hey Tom, what do you see fucked up in this load of logs?
I’m sure I’m missing something (I typically do). I guess it depends on your customers expectation, and, your efficiency/time in processing. I see a round that has rot, some are getting punky (our term) in the middle (typical in a mature tree), and crotches. Crotches are slow to process and tough to get anything that resembles stackable. We throw those aside in the shorts and uglies pile. Nothing glaring stands out. What’s the correct answer?

I’m sure I’m missing something (I typically do). I guess it depends on your customers expectation, and, your efficiency/time in processing. I see a round that has rot, some are getting punky (our term) in the middle (typical in a mature tree), and crotches. Crotches are slow to process and tough to get anything that resembles stackable. We throw those aside in the shorts and uglies pile. Nothing glaring stands out. What’s the correct answer?
20201201_105153.jpg
little better shot.
There's some metal in that log some where

Nice little barn find today. Don’t think it’s all that old. I see Council still offers this exact design. There aren’t any ID marks that I could find. It’ll get refurbished this winter along with the TruTemper Kelly Perfect double bit head on the bench.

pjGBib.jpg

Last edited:
Nice little barn find today. Don’t think it’s all that old. I see Council still offers this exact design. There aren’t any ID marks that I could find. It’ll get refurbished this winter along with the TruTemper Kelly Perfect doubling bit head on the bench.

pjGBib.jpg
Brush Axe. Probably no markings. The makers didn't want guys like me who used them 50+ years ago hunting them down for creating the most hated tool on the line truck.

What I wouldn't give, for that which you passed up. I'd chunk it all up, and use it in my smoker
!!!!!

man-o-man.... ya'll lead Blessed lives!
I passed on it because of the metal/fence wire in it. I’m thankful for having access to quality wood species. However, the derecho this summer devalued a lot of property in our area. I’d rather scrounge for firewood than see so many beautiful mature trees on the ground.

I passed on it because of the metal/fence wire in it. I’m thankful for having access to quality wood species. However, the derecho this summer devalued a lot of property in our area. I’d rather scrounge for firewood than see so many beautiful mature trees on the ground.

Buy a mill. Make money.

picked up my 500i today sporting the 25" bar.
one thing that i found with the local one was we get them with larger dogs, and on both sides.
all the vids that i watched shows them with smaller dogs where people upgrade them to 'western' ones.
aussie website depict the 500i with only one small dog on the inner side.
lucky i didn't have to cough up for the upgrade of the dogs and chain catcher.
now to find time to give it a whirl.

Reactions: tnichols