• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

IMG_20221103_130243.jpg

Reactions: Rthur and tnichols
Don't know much about the various Stihl saws but know the brand is good to go. Picked up a MS 260 about 5 years ago from my brother in law who runs a pawn shop. Needed a saw, looked at what he had and choose the 260. We started it outside and it ran fine. Couldn't beat the price as he sold it to me for what he paid for it, $100.

Used it this fall to cut a dump truck load of hardwood and fir. Really impressed with how well that saw cuts. Left me wanting to find more stuff to cut up.
Yeah a good strong 50 will make you wonder why you own a 70cc.

Reactions: mtrmn
Depends on who you are buying it from.
Don't get it from a guy w a woodlot for firewood, we by far, put more hours on a saw vs anyone else.
Some tree company's? Yes. A friend turns his saws over every year and would be a good buy for someone.
Homeowner? Sure, if the saw fires up.

Believe it or not, the average homeowner, not knowing, gets rid of his saw, or shelves his saw because the sprocket has worn to far. The diameter wears smaller and Rob's horsepower from the saw.

A thought though.
A 261 is 700 ish, little less. Buy a decent saw used, what? 500?
Buy a new one Phil and enjoy it the rest of your life.
Got an MS 440 already.

It’s a beast!

For most of the blow down I cut around the house it’s way overkill.

My testosterone level goes up a few points when I use it.

An 026/260 would be better suited to most of the cutting I do around the house.

If I came across a Stihl from the “0” era as in 026, I think I would want one because I hear such glowing testimonies.

Am I wrong?
I'd take a new echo from here for under $400 (code SHACKER)-

If you hop on opeforum where guys are obsessed with saws folks love'm.

• Haha
Reactions: Lawless
I have some Echo stuff. I have a CS3450 I love but pro level 💩

Just a friendly reminder:

Fuel line, did you check the fuel line for rot?

Me neither…. but its fixed now.…dang Husqvarna 😑

Last edited:
Reactions: mtrmn
I have some Echo stuff. I have a CS3450 I love but pro level
My main saw is an oe sweden 372XP. Got Stihls too but I picked up a little echo cs2511 to ride around with me on the tractor- little joker gets started 10:1 my big stuff now.

I realize I was like the chainsaw version of the guy that thinks you need a 300 win mag to kill deer at 150 yards.

My main saw is an oe sweden 372XP. Got Stihls too but I picked up a little echo cs2511 to ride around with me on the tractor- little joker gets started 10:1 my big stuff now.

I realize I was like the chainsaw version of the guy that thinks you need a 300 win mag to kill deer at 150 yards.
My 3450 is a 7lb wonder. It rides on the ATV and unless I’m bucking it’s my first pick as well. It’s convenient. It absolutely wouldn’t live bucking wood all day, not very long anyway.

Different tools for different uses.

According to AS gurus, the standard for modding the muffler on a stock 026/260 is to enlarge the factory outlet to 3/8” and drill a 3/8” hole above and below the factory outlet for a total of 3 outlets. This is apparently a formula based on piston diameter and/or port area.

Larger than this supposedly makes them idle funky.

This is supposed to really perk them up. I have not cut with it yet but I usually open up the muffler on every saw. I have not looked but some have a carb without a H jet/screw, the fix is a Walbro WT194 carb which came on some of them factory. I will look today to see what this one has.

The only actual problem I found is a bad oil cap so I ordered a set of new genuine Stihl fuel/oil caps. Found a guy selling once used 325/74dl Stihl RM yellow chains for $20 so ordered a couple.

Has been really warm here for about a week so no wood has been burned.

Stolen pic of mods

1667733271959.jpeg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Got a link for the ms250 commie carb
The one I bought Here

That 250 went from temperamental and meh to 🤩

I never opened up the muffler on it but I plan to now. I would buy another for a deal from a disgruntled owner and pop one of these carburetors on it.

——————-

Went out to the shop and took a peek. 260 has the carb with both adjustments, I just need to remove the plastic limiters. Muffler mod coming 🔥

Last edited:
Red Armor’s average price is $80+ per gallon.

Saw a deal for 4 gallons and thought I’d pass it on. Split it with some buddies or something.

Question for those using Heritage Stone stoves, what is the max temp you are
IMG_2510.jpeg
burning? 700f seems safe but is well beyond manufactures recommendation.

Comedy. There is a disclaimer.

1stly, homeboy is doing a good job in the gym, he's come a long way in a year.
2ndly, the jeans tucked into the boots tells me he wants boots filled w chips.
I know I wear my jeans in my boots, UNLESS, I'm on a saw
IMG_20221206_182030.jpg

Anywho, everyone keep on rockin

Reactions: tnichols
Don’t know who I stole the milk crate idea from on this thread but it is the best thing going for a saw case. Some pinyon pine.

Attachments

• 84FF1FE3-2107-4C1D-8712-9210A4FBDD5D.jpeg
    84FF1FE3-2107-4C1D-8712-9210A4FBDD5D.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 96012065-ABB8-43B4-BBBF-5A732E221FAF.jpeg
    96012065-ABB8-43B4-BBBF-5A732E221FAF.jpeg
    753.2 KB · Views: 93
That’s a @tnichols contribution👍
I just use a cardboard box with a diaper (absorbent shop mat) in the bottom. Works fine until it gets rain/snowed on. I like the milk crate idea, but I don’t think I can take credit for it.

Last edited:
I bought one of those blow molded Stihl boxes.

Than because it had slots for all sorts of other peripheral tools I had to fill them but will probably never use them.

Reactions: oneshot86
Ok, everyone here seams to be wetting their panties on the Stihl 026.

I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss that quite frankly, impresses me every time I use it and all my buddies are hassling me to borrow it. Had it forever, cuts up four or five full chords of firewood every year. Couple of simple repairs, no big deal.

What makes the 026 so desirable?

Regards,
Crankster

Reactions: riverside jeep

I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss that quite frankly, impresses me every time I use it and all my buddies are hassling me to borrow it. Had it forever, cuts up four or five full chords of firewood every year. Couple of simple repairs, no big deal.

Regards,
Crankster
For a good discussion go to page 56. Start at 2758 or so.

My answer sums up your question pretty well.
The 261 (4.0bhp @ 10.8lbs) has power between the 291 (3.76bhp @ 12.3lbs) and 311 (4.2bhp @ 13.67lbs) at the weight of the 251 (3.0bhp @ 10.8lbs). Numbers are as stock posted by Stihl.

I bought my 261 based on recommendations from others here.

Regards,
Crankster
Power to weight ratio. 261 owner, and nobody digging on the 029. If I could have just one saw, it would be a 261.

Won’t quite make zero tonight, however, the stove is making a contrail, so it’s getting close. Supposed to get really “fresh” by Thursday night.

Reactions: powdahound76
Getting fresh all the way down to Texas.

Single digits is not good with the way houses and infrastructure were built around here.

Regards,
Crankster
See if one of those buddies will buy your 029, replace it with a 261.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Figured I'd give this group a heads up before it gets sold elsewhere. Getting rid of this one since it really can't compete with my 5lb rafter.
4lb kelly perfect jersey. Blued with mask.
32" Stumptown handle brass lanyard tube and zebra wood wedge. Was hung by Stumptown. More pics/vids on his IG. Hit me up if interested.
20221219_165901.jpg
20221219_165836.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
question for the knowledgable..... will a 20 ton splitter be able to deal with heavily knotted black walnut (green) that is 24 inches in diameter with chunk lengths of roughly 36 inches?