• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Something different with the lathe for the maw in law. Wenge wood with a 2018 dime inlay

Attachments

• 9AB8300C-93C0-4BC0-9735-C80BAAC51ECD.jpeg
    9AB8300C-93C0-4BC0-9735-C80BAAC51ECD.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 32293446-E516-43B9-8817-C0612F97CB47.jpeg
    32293446-E516-43B9-8817-C0612F97CB47.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 74
Do a fair bit of cutting up downed oak and ash. Looking to get a medium sized saw because the little Ms362 is hardly cutting it.

What saw should I get? Looking at a Ms440 or a 576xp...

It's getting fun now with all the snow.

Attachments

• 20181224_095021.jpg
    20181224_095021.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20181224_095043.jpg
    20181224_095043.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181224_095025.jpg
    20181224_095025.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 73
Do a fair bit of cutting up downed oak and ash. Looking to get a medium sized saw because the little Ms362 is hardly cutting it.

What saw should I get? Looking at a Ms440 or a 576xp...

It's getting fun now with all the snow.
I’d add a 372 on the list.. I own a ms 361 my self and I always thought it was a good power to weight saw.. Never touched a 362 so I can’t give my opinion on the 362..

I’d add a 372 on the list.. I own a ms 361 my self and I always thought it was a good power to weight saw.. Never touched a 362 so I can’t give my opinion on the 362..
I was really wanting a substantial step up...24" bar and never run out of power. 70cc+. Just wondering what's the most reliable and best power to weight? Been a Stihl guy so far...

I was really wanting a substantial step up...24" bar and never run out of power. 70cc+. Just wondering what's the most reliable and best power to weight? Been a Stihl guy so far...
I get along real fine with my 441 pulling a 26” bar. Use it primarily bucking large stems. I believe Geno C has one as well.

Do you grind down the rakers or just run a factory chisel chain?

We sharpen our own chains and blew up a 392 leaning it out a bit much to cope. Rebuilt it and sold it because it was a bit of a dog. Poor power to weight ratio.

The problem I see with that is your going to get a bunch of different opinions. Like I can run my 395 on fire wood with all the power I’d want but it’s heavy. I can run my jred 2172 with a 24 inch bar and I could bog it if I really wanted cutting big oak..

Do you grind down the rakers or just run a factory chisel chain?

We sharpen our own chains and blew up a 392 leaning it out a bit much to cope. Rebuilt it and sold it because it was a bit of a dog. Poor power to weight ratio.
Factory chisel chain. The 441 will pull that fine. Bar deep in dead standing oak makes it earn its keep. 7mMike is correct in that you’ll get a ton of opinions and some operators lean on their saw harder than others. I try to keep it all in perspective, we’re just cutting firewood after all.

The problem I see with that is your going to get a bunch of different opinions. Like I can run my 395 on fire wood with all the power I’d want but it’s heavy. I can run my jred 2172 with a 24 inch bar and I could bog it if I really wanted cutting big oak..
True...I'm a horsepower guy so I should probably just buy something really gutless and heavy so it lasts.

It’s definitely not a bad problem lol... Nice collection. Do you get the same speech of why do you need so many chainsaws..

Not really. I get unbelievable deals on the Stihls barely used and they all earn their keep. She understands “the right tool for the job”. Especially when the cash and checks come home with me.

Reactions: tnichols

The 441 would be a good choice but it won't be around much longer if you are looking for new. The 461 has replaced it and the 462 will be replacing the 461 once it is deemed reliable. If I were to buy a new saw right now, 461 all the way.

On a side note, the 441 responds well to woods porting. While it is a little heavy for a 70cc saw, once ported you would have power similar to a 90cc saw.

The 441 would be a good choice but it won't be around much longer if you are looking for new. The 461 has replaced it and the 462 will be replacing the 461 once it is deemed reliable. If I were to buy a new saw right now, 461 all the way.

On a side note, the 441 responds well to woods porting. While it is a little heavy for a 70cc saw, once ported you would have power similar to a 90cc saw.
https://m.facebook.com/WestHillSawHouse/?__tn__=C-R

This is the man for port jobs! The only guy that I can think of with a chainsaw dyo lol

I’ve got a 460 and a 461, they handle all but the biggest oaks with ease. I run the 460 with a 22” and the 461 with a 24”.

Last edited:
Contrarian wood-splitting theory proponent:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but could someone take him for a proper haircut?

Some of those wood piles are really impressive! I can only marvel at the amount of work invested and wish I could still work like that. I still own a Stihl saw, I think its a 034, prolly 30+ years old. I bought it from a friend in the business. They ported and polished it, changed the carb and the rear sprocket, did a radical sharpening job on the chain and took it to a few log/timber fest. I bought it with a new saw warranty. Its a cutting MoFo! I probably need to look at selling it.

There is a saw running at a neighbor's place. I can see that they knocked down a 8 to 10 inch tree. The guy's saw must be dull as can be as it is taking him forever to make one cut. The saw is just whining away not making chips or even dust. He doesn't have a clue. Guess he doesn't have a file either.

If it was the neighbor, I'd help. I have no idea who this is. Hopefully someone with permission.

Poor chainsaw....

There is a saw running at a neighbor's place. I can see that they knocked down a 8 to 10 inch tree. The guy's saw must be dull as can be as it is taking him forever to make one cut. The saw is just whining away not making chips or even dust. He doesn't have a clue. Guess he doesn't have a file either.

If it was the neighbor, I'd help. I have no idea who this is. Hopefully someone with permission.

Poor chainsaw....
Sometimes a loop gets put on backwards ?. They don’t cut well like that ?

Close call in the woods today. Had a tree twist off the hinge and kick out with a vengeance. Sent me 10 feet through the brush with a live 461 in my hands. Just a scratch to show for it. Be careful out there.
View attachment 7006465
Glad that you’re ok other than a nasty abrasion. Our rural mail carrier and neighbor had one jump off the stump or barber chair him (I didn’t get to see the aftermath to tell which it was) but nevertheless, it sent him over 25 feet and cost him a pelvis and upper leg fracture. He’s ornery and tougher than boiled owl shit and it got his attention for sure. As we all know, it happens quick. Be safe fellas.

tnicholw,
Those kind of fractures are always just a little ways from being very serious. Dead serious. Your neighbor is lucky.

Zick, in retrospect, is there anything you can educate us on (I dont know a ton) about what possibly could have helped avoid it? I used to cut 8-10 cords for the winter here. Never had a big issue. Always looking to learn.
Glad that scrape is the worst of it. Bet you were sore for a few days.

tnicholw,
Those kind of fractures are always just a little ways from being very serious. Dead serious. Your neighbor is lucky.

Zick, in retrospect, is there anything you can educate us on (I dont know a ton) about what possibly could have helped avoid it? I used to cut 8-10 cords for the winter here. Never had a big issue. Always looking to learn.
Glad that scrape is the worst of it. Bet you were sore for a few days.

Check for overhead hazards. There was wild grape vines coming in at a perpendicular angle to my drop lane. When the tree was about to break the holding wood on the hinge the vines rolled the tree and broke the holding wood across instead of all at once and caused the kick out. Shit happens, plain and simple, but from now on I will be more diligent on my pre drop inspections.

Reactions: powdahound76
Check for overhead hazards. There was wild grape vines coming in at a perpendicular angle to my drop lane. When the tree was about to break the holding wood on the hinge the vines rolled the tree and broke the holding wood across instead of all at once and caused the kick out. Shit happens, plain and simple, but from now on I will be more diligent on my pre drop inspections.

Never would have guessed or thought that, but goes to show that every one that you tip is different. The overhead, lean, lane, etc... It’s fun until someone gets tore up. Again, glad you’re ok and the temps are dropping ?

Reactions: jungle45