• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Here's one, circa 1970-71.

I'm 8 or 9 years old and our old carnie (Wisconsin carnie too) neighbor Carl decided to cut a tree limb.
Dad helps Carl get the ladder out and then Carl comes out with an extension cord and a circular saw.
(IIRC, old circular saws didn't have blade guards)

At this point I said to Carl that it looked pretty stupid to use that saw. (Kids have shitty filters)

He pretty much told me to shut up.

Well, Carl plugs the saw into the cord, tests it, adjusts the cut depth (with the saw plugged in) to max and heads up the ladder.

He's above the limb and cutting upward.
A few seconds into the cut, the saw kicks back. Since Carl had upward pressure on the saw, it hit him across the throat.

Down came the saw. Down came Carl.
Dad had his booger covered hanky in his hand as Carl hit the ground. He pressed it to Carl's neck and told his wife (Loawanna, Luanna something like that)
to get the car and to get him to the hospital.

30 minutes later he's getting stitched up.

Carl ended up surviving a jugular cut and has (had?) a 6+" scar across his neck to prove that he chose the wrong tool for the job.

Dad finished cutting the limb later that day with his chainsaw.

Yikes... I tend to stay far away from circular/skill saws for anything outside of cutting lumber. I learned how to use skill saws formally for USAR work, and was never comfortable with them. ZERO protection from kickback/weird center of gravity as it relates to torque, so much to the point that I've had enough close calls to know that I'm better off with a chainsaw.

Sounds like Carl learned from experience, and is one lucky dude. In my experience, the right tool for the right job and erring on the side of caution when woodworking, felling, or using power tools is a good way to avoid hospital trips.
We need a Hide shootout! 550 vs 261. 18” bar and a new stock chain (yellow link). 3 timed passes through 16” DBA dead standing Oak. Leaning on the dogs not allowed. Winner takes home a half grown kitten. I’ll provide the 261, Oak, and kitten (hope you like grey cats as it’s all I have right now). 😊
Only 3 timed passes? Thought that we were going to do a 5x5 timed pass and then bicker about the judgement criteria in a separate thread;)

Reactions: tnichols
Yikes... I tend to stay far away from circular/skill saws for anything outside of cutting lumber. I learned how to use skill saws formally for USAR work, and was never comfortable with them. ZERO protection from kickback/weird center of gravity as it relates to torque, so much to the point that I've had enough close calls to know that I'm better off with a chainsaw.

Sounds like Carl learned from experience, and is one lucky dude. In my experience, the right tool for the right job and erring on the side of caution when woodworking, felling, or using power tools is a good way to avoid hospital trips.

Only 3 timed passes? Thought that we were going to do a 5x5 timed pass and then bicker about the judgement criteria in a separate thread;)
On circular saws there are people working on the kickback problem. Just not the big companies.

On circular saws there are people working on the kickback problem. Just not the big companies.

Garbage. Using an accelerometer to switch it means I can't throw my saw at people anymore. That's no bueno, Sir, no bueno.

Here are a few pics of a project I completed a few months ago. These walnut plaques came from a buddy’s walnut tree that was cut down a few years back by my friend and me. I presented these plaques to my friends for their awesome ELR achievements in Kansas. I’m very pleased with how they turned out. The calibers used were .416 Barrett, and the .375 Cheytac.

Attachments

• D0DE7AA0-E23E-4B3B-B039-048D7589E00B.jpeg
    D0DE7AA0-E23E-4B3B-B039-048D7589E00B.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 97
  • 8328D609-174E-4A8A-BDF1-718841159DA9.jpeg
    8328D609-174E-4A8A-BDF1-718841159DA9.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 4B857F0E-36AE-46DE-A615-69EA65211D07.jpeg
    4B857F0E-36AE-46DE-A615-69EA65211D07.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 96
  • A9791B2F-9B95-4E48-9365-70764A72667A.jpeg
    A9791B2F-9B95-4E48-9365-70764A72667A.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 87
  • F0278869-C913-4A8B-9C5C-CCA275D57EBD.jpeg
    F0278869-C913-4A8B-9C5C-CCA275D57EBD.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 91
Any of you guys have experience with this Husky:

View attachment 7545186

I’m thinking about replacing my old 290 Stihl Farmboss with this. A buddy of mine who does tree service swears by it. Says it has less torque but faster RPM. Therefore cutting faster.

he also told me to grow testicles and use square ground chain.

any insight?
I love the Husky’s. Arboristsite or whatever it is has pretty good reviews of the saws. I have an older 350 that was rebuilt with 346XP guts and it rips. Never had experience with that exact saw, but it should be a good one.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Well I’m picking up the Husky 550XP on Friday. Sold the Farmboss today. Got good money for it too. Question is do I go with the stock 18in bar or go with a 20in

Well I’m picking up the Husky 550XP on Friday. Sold the Farmboss today. Got good money for it too. Question is do I go with the stock 18in bar or go with a 20in
Ask if they will let you demo it. The wife bought me an echo 590 for Christmas this year but I took it back and swapped it with an ms261. Ran a 550 and the 261 in the back of the shop lot on some 15” ash. I liked the feel of the 261 better so that’s what I went with.
AFB06D42-28E8-4549-8DCA-D2C923600FEE.jpeg

I GO LONGER BAR, ALL THE WAY, i do.
my 261, i have a 20 inch, the 461 i have a 32 inch. you dont have to bend over as much.
i retired my 261 and got anouther the other day. i cant brag on it enough, but its not the 461.

Ok, 5 it is. And seeing how this is the Hide, you can cover the flyer with a dime 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Leftie
I GO LONGER BAR, ALL THE WAY, i do.
my 261, i have a 20 inch, the 461 i have a 32 inch. you dont have to bend over as much.
i retired my 261 and got anouther the other day. i cant brag on it enough, but its not the 461.
Or a 661 with a 36” bar. I refer to it as “my limbing saw” on the the tree crew. I stand straight and tall while cutting 4” stuff. The whole outfit now refers to it as same. Grab Tom’s limbing saw...😂

Reactions: jeepguy88
Well the Husky 562XP is only $100 more. May as well check that out before I settle on the 550xp

The 572xp is too much saw for what I need. The 562xp is borderline too much. But I do on occasion get into some big stuff

well they have a 562XP with 20in bar on sale for $709. Or a 550XP Mark 2 with 20in bar for $669. $50 for a bigger saw sounds logical to do

he also said he prefers the standard 550XP...not the mark 2 variant. And honestly I can’t figure out what the Mark 2 variant gets you over the standard model

Reactions: oneshot86
well they have a 562XP with 20in bar on sale for $709. Or a 550XP Mark 2 with 20in bar for $669. $50 for a bigger saw sounds logical to do

he also said he prefers the standard 550XP...not the mark 2 variant. And honestly I can’t figure out what the Mark 2 variant gets you over the standard model

It looks like the Mark 2 is a completely different saw. It's also rated at a little more power.

Reactions: Jigstick
What do you guys do to clean up your saw? I’ve always just scraped away any oil caked dust off with a putty knife, hit it with a little degreaser, and sprayed the bar and chain down with Ballistol. Grease the bar nose sprocket and drive shaft and put it away. Is there something better than Ballistol I should be using to keep things rust free ?

AD3B132C-8A71-480B-91BA-4E64EFB76430.jpeg

Well I purchased the Granberg mill and made my first cut with it last night. I just used a board screwed to the log to set my first flat cut. Hoping to have time after work today to cut a few slabs off of this walnut log. Thanks for the suggestions, the mill seems very well built. We will see how it holds up.

Waste?! What's wrong with it?

Looks to be scrapes and knotty wood. Probably not worth the time or money to try to split it to sell properly. However, I'd sell it cheaply by the truck load. Better to get something than nothing.

I appreciate the extra work to convert some of that pile to usefull.

But today in many parts of Texas that are getting the freezing rain treatment it would sell like primers.

When I was a kid in the 70's I would work in the summer stacking, loading and clearing for my naibor running the saws.

An ice storm would come to Dallas and we would sell it all in a couple of days at healthy prices.

Did you square grind the cutters and file down the rakers a couple mm?
I would run square grind if 1) You could just go to the store and buy it and 2) If it were as easy to maintain as round ground.

I did not file depth guages deeper than "standard" because most of the stuff I cut is hardwood. If I were in the PNW and all I were cutting were fir trees then yes, I would shave those down.

B71220BF-D058-435E-B8B5-F99E0890D3CD.jpeg

Slabbed out and loaded on the trailer to go to the barn to dry. The Husky made pretty good time for how long the log was I think. Most of the cuts were 16’ and the widest part of the log was 16” bark to bark. I can see how this milling thing could get addictive! Just what I need, one more hobby, lol. I guess it’s cheaper than shooting right now.

You ain’t kidding, that is some nice looking stuff.

Not gonna get to do any cutting this year, just started on a new gen station job that’s gonna eat up 6 days a week for the rest of the year.....😢🙂

Now I’m really curious which way it fell. I can’t tell looking at the stump.
My guess is in the direction of the face cut. It was on a side hill, and nearly all the trees near it had head lean favoring that direction.

Looks to be scrapes and knotty wood. Probably not worth the time or money to try to split it to sell properly. However, I'd sell it cheaply by the truck load. Better to get something than nothing.
Correct. It's all can't split or isn't worth it, because we are production splitting.
I'm not splitting wood for grandpa and need to split everything. I get 50 yard trucks of logs and the quicker I safely process, the greater the profit margin.
And, if people weren't fucking pigs and wouldn't pull the pile apart like hyenas on a dead animal, I probably would try to sell the small junk wood by the truckload. But it isn't worth it.
I'd rather enjoy a large fire. This pile is going to be burned for a baby shower, in our barn that I just finished building, that we are hosting for a young famous couple that grew up in the city and has never seen anything like that before.
I love doing cool shit.
Wood season is still rockin and I'll be cutting and splitting at noon.
We can not keep a pile, it sells as quick as we can make it

Correct. It's all can't split or isn't worth it, because we are production splitting.
I'm not splitting wood for grandpa and need to split everything. I get 50 yard trucks of logs and the quicker I safely process, the greater the profit margin.
And, if people weren't fucking pigs and wouldn't pull the pile apart like hyenas on a dead animal, I probably would try to sell the small junk wood by the truckload. But it isn't worth it.
I'd rather enjoy a large fire. This pile is going to be burned for a baby shower, in our barn that I just finished building, that we are hosting for a young famous couple that grew up in the city and has never seen anything like that before.
I love doing cool shit.

That's a good problem to have. Make it while you can.

Reactions: oneshot86
I love doing cool shit.
That’s pretty cool. I just sell stuff like that and call it “big uglies” when I list it... usually I sell 2-4 truck loads a season (1-1.25 cord each). The last 3 years I’ve sold the bulk of it to one old timer who heats his home with an absolutely massive OWB. He loves the big knots and stuff, says it’s more dense and burns longer.

^^ Same here. A friend has a OWB and takes all the crotches. Trims them just enough to get them in the door.

1613481853022.png
1613481938004.png

Just added to my firewood entourage.

My friend bought this mule in 1992 I think. He bought it because his dad had to be on oxygen and this let him ride around the 'farm' when down here. They lived in KC and only came down 8-10 time a year, so it got little use. His dad passed and he parked it in my basement for years. I traded him a 92F in 40 S&W in around 2006. My bride and I sold it to her dad and he used it until we got him a new one. When we gave him the new one he gave this one to us, so might as well use it in the woods.

Last edited:
I know chainsaws are at the top of the heap for doing any kind of serious woodcutting, but does anyone here own or ever use an older-style crosscut saw for anything? I'm considering picking up a used one or two-man saw (and associated sharpening tools) as a backup in the event of some kind of SHTF situation where gas is unobtanium.

I know chainsaws are at the top of the heap for doing any kind of serious woodcutting, but does anyone here own or ever use an older-style crosscut saw for anything? I'm considering picking up a used one or two-man saw (and associated sharpening tools) as a backup in the event of some kind of SHTF situation where gas is unobtanium.
I've got 4 different one-man crosscut saws ranging in length from 2+ to 4.5 feet and use them quite a bit. My advice is related to the tooth-raker pattern you buy. The first and longest crosscut saw I bought has the really aggressive perforated lance tooth pattern and it chatters a lot and takes a fair amount of effort for me to operate without a helper on the other end.

Attachments

• crosscut saw tooth patterns.JPG
    crosscut saw tooth patterns.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: Bullfroggy
The lower quarter of one of the Oaks today. These are are 8-10’ long, tree was live (derecho blew out the top and leaned it over the house). Guess the weight of these 2 combined and I’ll share the answer tomorrow. Crane has a scale on it. @Geno C. cant play ‘cause he knows the answer 😉.
View attachment 7573577
I ran a crane for almost 30 years and have only let a guy ride the ball once.
Did you know that Arborist had a special reg written just for them?
Davey Tree in Kent Ohio were the ones that got the ball rolling on that.
Liming Out.jpg
Riding the Ball.jpg
R1-04123-018A.jpg

Second to Last picture is of the climber on the hook getting lowered into the tree from 125' of boom.
Yeah Oak is heavy

@IowaPlinker - that's funny I was thinking right around there too. Then I re-read lower quarter.... Im gonna say 7800
Lotta nice wood. Not sure if it could still be made into lumber, but a lot of good BTUs in there either way.

I know my folks had a big oak taken out after a lightning strike 3 yrs ago. 62' across the stump 18' above dirt. Cent remember the total weight hauled off.