• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Tree boss needed help today. Large crane job. Busy and don’t want to refuel or change out a loop, just grab another. Texas reload 😊. Pic is in the saw box on the boom. 201, 261, 362, 462, and 661.
View attachment 7573569
Variety is nice!
I recently got a 201 in rear handle configuration to go with my 372xp. I am amazed with the little saw. Yeah it’s a toy but dang that thing will get down to business.

@IowaPlinker - that's funny I was thinking right around there too. Then I re-read lower quarter.... Im gonna say 7800
Lotta nice wood. Not sure if it could still be made into lumber, but a lot of good BTUs in there either way.

I know my folks had a big oak taken out after a lightning strike 3 yrs ago. 62' across the stump 18' above dirt. Cent remember the total weight hauled off.
I’m thinking it is a 24” bar so maybe 2’ across and 9’ tall. If it is 4K’ across that would quadruple the weight wouldn’t it? I don’t remember the area of a cylinder formula well.
Something to do with pi.
Pie, I love pie.

I love pie.
Apple and Pecan (pronounced Pee-kan, not peh-kahn like a fruitcake) are my favorites.

Wait, what were we talkin bout? 😁

Reactions: Geno C.
The lower quarter of one of the Oaks today. These are are 8-10’ long, tree was live (derecho blew out the top and leaned it over the house). Guess the weight of these 2 combined and I’ll share the answer tomorrow. Crane has a scale on it. @Geno C. cant play ‘cause he knows the answer 😉.
View attachment 7573577
I'll guess since it's oak 67 briskets, 123 racks of ribs 50lbs of link sausage and six chubs of bologna.

I ran a crane for almost 30 years and have only let a guy ride the ball once.
Did you know that Arborist had a special reg written just for them?
Davey Tree in Kent Ohio were the ones that got the ball rolling on that.
View attachment 7573591View attachment 7573592View attachment 7573593
Second to Last picture is of the climber on the hook getting lowered into the tree from 125' of boom.
Yeah Oak is heavy.

Sorry for the late response, but that's interesting information. Our climber rides the ball every chance he gets when getting started. Saves a lot of energy.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Our good friend to the "nort" @Sean the Nailer wins as he was the closest. These two combined were just shy of 11,000 pounds. The final cut down at the flare had the 661 36" bar just poking through.

The prize for Sean being the closest is a free barn kitten. I was even gonna' throw in free shipping to the lower 48. We'll figure something out. He (the kitten) might be a bit brassy after shipping, but nothing that a good set of welding gloves can't handle.

Our good friend to the "nort" @Sean the Nailer wins as he was the closest. These two combined were just shy of 11,000 pounds. The final cut down at the flare had the 661 36" bar just poking through.

The prize for Sean being the closest is a free barn kitten. I was even gonna' throw in free shipping to the lower 48. We'll figure something out. He (the kitten) might be a bit brassy after shipping, but nothing that a good set of welding gloves can't handle.
I'm good with you giving it/them to the 'next-runner-up'. My Lady gets offended whenever I say "Cat, the OTHER white meat".

They gots t' gets Baptized, ya know!

:D

(that oughta stir up some comments and get the weekend going right)

Um, I guessed 300 more than Sean at 7800.
Just sayin.
and was still off by 3k plus.

No fargin barn cat either. Thanks

so, since Sean was closest after me, by his own statement, he gets the cat!!!
Sesame kitty coming up!!!

Um, I guessed 300 more than Sean at 7800.
Just sayin.
and was still off by 3k plus.

No fargin barn cat either. Thanks

so, since Sean was closest after me, by his own statement, he gets the cat!!!
Sesame kitty coming up!!!
Sure enough you did. Musta’ breezed past that and I apologize. But seeing’s how you are clearly the winner, you get its litter mate. I can’t get back Sean’s as he already shipped. Don’t feel slighted though, yours is a female. She’s much more congenial, and probably a touch more tender and less gamey.

1615042777805.png

Cheap but great after you smoke it.
Slice it like a hamburger pattie and run it for 1/2 an hr - 45 minutes.

Last edited:
Sure enough you did. Musta’ breezed past that and I apologize. But seeing’s how you are clearly the winner, you get its litter mate. I can’t get back Sean’s as he already shipped. Don’t feel slighted though, yours is a female. She’s much more congenial, and probably a touch more tender and less gamey.
Do you work for dept of state, dude?

Did this use to be Larry's cat?

I’m not familiar with Chubs of bologna. It is called a chub?

Smoke it in the casing I presume?
No do not leave the casing on.
Do not try to smoke it whole iether.

Cut into 1/2 inch or what you wish on a burger bun sprinkle a little dry BBQ rub on them and smoke in one layer not stacked or wrapped.

Those hamburger thick pieces don't need cooked much just some smoke about 1/2 hour will do.

I normally stuff a brisket on one end and use the rest of the space to do the baloney a few at a time.

The baloney burgers with a little q sauce are for one meal that evening as the brisket will be overnite cooking.

I've tried other ways for chubs, nope no good. Ring and link baloney is hard to find around here but I grab it when I can.

It's funny of the big cookouts we have had over the years, I'm good at briskets, ribs, pulled pork, sausages and people still ask where's the baloney because people don't cook it like I do.

It's about 1.25$ per pound for the bar-s at wally world and not much good till smoked, it is the cheap stuff.

If you make extra (haha) make sure to cool it in a single layer before bagging it for the fridge.

Reactions: tnichols
Absolutely fried baloney with over easy egg and slice of cheese on toast.

If you had an English muffin that was high cotton.

We're kinda in the wrong thread though.

hopefully a few of those and some rest and your back will ease up.

That stack is lookin good. Few hours of hard work cutting and splitting there!!!

Geno, Carol says like a cat woman there could be a problem w a mike collecting logs, hahaha.
I do like the way it looks, but I'll like it more when I see it split, in a big ass pile

Reactions: Geno C.
Worked on the tree crew today. 34 degrees, mist, and intermittent rain. Boss is in the bucket and is working a blown out Oak top with the 201. Gets it down and ready to flush off the main stem to make it kinda purdy (there are no nice looking trees post derecho). Requests the new 462. Back up he goes. Nice cut, as he pushes off this 20-24” DBA stem, he lets the saw roll with it (normal). However, the saw is wet, his hands are wet, and following this big chunk of Oak to the ground is a brand new 462 😬. Said saw lawn darts in from 30’ up bar first. Saw is idling happily as I go to retrieve it. It’s stuck into the mud probably 6-8”. Bent the tip of the bar probably 20 degrees, power head unscathed. I wanted a picture SO bad, but wasn’t sure of his mood, so, all I have is the story. Stay safe fellas.

Been taking about this leaning tree fro some time but since it hung over nothing but yard, thought I would just not worry with it. Well the snow/ice storm of last month thought long and hard about it. Left me with this.

Then the 261 attacked it and the neighbor wants what’s left for her fire pit. I’ll get them over as soon as I finish the blasted porch railing project. Sad part, loblolly pine, not much use for a fireplace or stove. Way, way too much creosote
EC917CC4-21DF-4135-8A89-65DA1A3E60E7.jpeg
46AF48FC-0891-486A-B1EC-CA36873BC7EC.jpeg

My best friend, the old guy that runs the combine (I'm the old guy that runs the trucks), his son is the basketball coach at a local High School. They just got 2nd in State in class 2. I made the comment that they should be back next year as they only have 2 seniors and a freshman that has 3 older brothers that were all 'All-State' players, with the word on the street being the younger brother is the best of all. Anyway my friend said High School Basketball is about 50% good and 50% luck.

1616060764174.png

1616060800963.png

Guess which group I fall in.

I’m having trouble keeping ripping chains sharp in a little walnut log I’m slabbing. No signs of any foreign objects to hit in the log, but lots of thick bark. Could the thicker bark be killing me? It’s a 13’ log that’s 25” diameter and I can only make one pass and I need to switch chains or sharpen. I tried a crosscut chain tonight and I think it actually worked a little faster. Any suggestions, or do I just keep telling my back to shut up and deal with it?

I’m having trouble keeping ripping chains sharp in a little walnut log I’m slabbing. No signs of any foreign objects to hit in the log, but lots of thick bark. Could the thicker bark be killing me? It’s a 13’ log that’s 25” diameter and I can only make one pass and I need to switch chains or sharpen. I tried a crosscut chain tonight and I think it actually worked a little faster. Any suggestions, or do I just keep telling my back to shut up and deal with it?
What saw are you using and how big of a bar?
What kind of chain is it?
I use granberg rip chain/ Carlton rip chain and can mill 3 logs that size before touching up or swapping chain.
You can definitely debark it and the chain will stay sharper. The bark holds dirt and that will slow you down and dull the chain.

What saw are you using and how big of a bar?
What kind of chain is it?
I use granberg rip chain/ Carlton rip chain and can mill 3 logs that size before touching up or swapping chain.
You can definitely debark it and the chain will stay sharper. The bark holds dirt and that will slow you down and dull the chain.
Using a Husqvarna 66 with a 36” bar and Archer rip chain. I’m thinking the Archer chain is part of the problem.

Using a Husqvarna 66 with a 36” bar and Archer rip chain. I’m thinking the Archer chain is part of the problem.
A husky 66 is on the small side of the cc spectrum I’d use to mill. Granted it’s a 25” log but 13’ rips will probably blow it up sooner rather than later. I’ve run 8-10 different brands of rip chain I think archer was bottom 2 or 3. Better chain nets you a better result for sure. That also depends on the wood you’re cutting. But generally I’d say step up a few rungs on the chain, then upgrade the saw, pro grade and 80+cc is ideal for milling 25” wood.

Reactions: shk1
A husky 66 is on the small side of the cc spectrum I’d use to mill. Granted it’s a 25” log but 13’ rips will probably blow it up sooner rather than later. I’ve run 8-10 different brands of rip chain I think archer was bottom 2 or 3. Better chain nets you a better result for sure. That also depends on the wood you’re cutting. But generally I’d say step up a few rungs on the chain, then upgrade the saw, pro grade and 80+cc is ideal for milling 25” wood.
Thanks. I felt like I could use the 66 for a while and upgrade it later for milling. I’ve pretty much decided this Archer chain won’t stay sharp after tonight. I made one slab and the chain went to throwing baby powder and not wanting to cut. I definitely want a larger saw, but the 66 will have to pull it’s weight for a bit longer. I know it’ll last me a long time if I don’t keep milling with it too long, or I could sell it and help fund a bigger saw. I’m going to order a new ripping chain and see how that goes for now. Thanks for the reply.

Look what followed me home today. Last day working a state park contract. I got dibs on these working on the tree crew. Post derecho hangers and removals complete. State staff moved in behind us to pick up brush, limbs, etc... Firewood permits will unleash the hounds within a day or so. Oak and Black Cherry stems...

DFB055BB-FB7D-4E71-ABFC-BC5E2558C8E1.jpeg

41CC0BF5-BF18-46D6-8834-4E52D3066B07.jpeg

Metal in the log, somewhere... most likely he’ll find it after he puts on a brand new chain... seems to be how it works for me at least
Now that it’s bucked, we’ll see what the splitter reveals. Rainy day here today so I “tuned” the 441 loop and am ready for the next round. Dodged the bullet on the metal in the pic, but rarely am I lucky going back for a second go around.

My best friend, the old guy that runs the combine (I'm the old guy that runs the trucks), his son is the basketball coach at a local High School. They just got 2nd in State in class 2. I made the comment that they should be back next year as they only have 2 seniors and a freshman that has 3 older brothers that were all 'All-State' players, with the word on the street being the younger brother is the best of all. Anyway my friend said High School Basketball is about 50% good and 50% luck.

View attachment 7584428

View attachment 7584429

Guess which group I fall in.
Spiked tree from eco-terrorist?