• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing there are some huge hogs in Texas....PICs

HTR707

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
Rockport, TX
I shot this boar last Saturday. It was a little foggy and he crossed a road, near the very back of a food plot. I saw his nose, and then raised the rifle. He was at least 230 yards, because that is where the food plot ends. I walked it off, and got 247 yards, but my stride is probably not exactly 3 feet, so I will estimate 240 yards.

I had about 0.5 seconds to shoot, so I simply put the crosshairs on the head, behind the ear, and squeezed. Pop, Flop....nothing thereafter.

The rifle is an AR Performance 20" 12 twist, 3 groove 6.8 X 43 mm, with DMR chamber, and 3 lb Bill Springfield trigger job. This rifle is as accurate as any bolt gun I've ever owned. The load was a test- handloaded 85 grain Barnes TSX (what else? ) using SSA's powder, brass, and CCI 41 primer, loaded out to 2.30". The velocity from this barrel is averaging 3180 FPS. This is probably the best overall 6.8 X 43 load I have ever used. You can see how accurate it is. The bullet literally entered 2 inches behind the ear, and parallel to it, hitting the brainstem. This is exactly the spot I held the crosshairs when I fired.

BIG TUSKS. Don't get into a hand to hoof fight with anything like this:

DSCF3002-3.jpg

DSCF3006.jpg

ETA: the bullet passed cleanly through as is the norm with the 85 grain TSX. I have not yet shot one at 300 yards, but I am anxious to try this bullet at that distance. After what I have seen from this cartridge, I fully expect it will knock a hog down, even at 300.

Re: there are some huge hogs in Texas....PICs

Chris, that is excellent. With all the rains we have had down there the hogs have been getting a little more active. There is a pack of 15 or so making the rounds at my place. Have taken a couple of singles of of it in the past 2 weeks. They get to be a big problem, I'll get Josh to do a fly over and deal with em.

Kill em all, Charlie

That pigs got some big tusks for this area! Good Job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much it weigh 350? </div></div>

I didn't weigh this one. I estimate around 300. This little 6.8 (and the 85 grain TSX) amazes me...DRT once again.

Gotta love the ear. Nice Hawg! I have noticed that the big boars aren't so rank when popped in the noggn.

Nice. That just makes me that much more excited about my upcoming trip to pop a few of those rascals. This is the second pic I have seen where someone took a hog with the 6.8 at a reasonable distance. They are certainly getting the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. That just makes me that much more excited about my upcoming trip to pop a few of those rascals. This is the second pic I have seen where someone took a hog with the 6.8 at a reasonable distance. They are certainly getting the job done. </div></div>

Glad you posted. I know the Hide has never been enthusiastic about the 6.8, but it has converted many people in the last year or so, precisely because of performance like this.

It is not a long range sniping round.... I admit that...but damn if it doesn't put down some pretty big animals. It has really come a long way. If we just had bullets with BC's around .410 to .450, look out.

Nice kill! I've been wanting to go hunt pigs down there for a long time. Grass is always greener kinda thing. Ya'll wanna come out west to hunt elk and mulies and we wanna come down there and hunt pigs. Got any advice for coming to hunt pigs outta state? Do we go get our tags and hunt public land or try to find locals who know where to go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice kill! I've been wanting to go hunt pigs down there for a long time. Grass is always greener kinda thing. Ya'll wanna come out west to hunt elk and mulies and we wanna come down there and hunt pigs. Got any advice for coming to hunt pigs outta state? Do we go get our tags and hunt public land or try to find locals who know where to go? </div></div>

PM sent

thats a big sob. havnt seen one that size in a few years. nice

Ooooph thats a big hog. I would love to go hog hunting, especially in my area, but maybe Texas is the place to be.

Check out this one an Australian farmer got because it was eating his dogs.

oreypcG.jpg

Only pig I've seen that large around here was domestic. No natural predators in Australia to cull hogs eitherr. We have predators after em and we can't keep up.

L

I wish I were able to hunt the wild pigs in my area. We have, I think, a unique species. And I live in an area that is just covered by State Parks (there are no less than 6 within 30 minutes of driving from my house).

About the pigs: "California's wild pigs date to the 1920s when a Monterey County landowner crossed European wild boars with domestic pigs." They were actually Russian pigs he released from his property that went into the mountains, and now have taken over our state parks. I read somewhere that they estimate 20k-40k in my county alone. We have an abundance of wetlands and protected wildlife/plants and these pigs just destroy it all. My Dad's company has a facility at the top of one of the mountains near me and they just tear up the 12k acres it is on. I have asked time and time again for permission to cull them from the property, but there are too many legalities and liabilities, so the answer is always no.

Shockingly they can get to 200-300lbs in areas where you would think the terrain couldn't support it (due to steepness, hazards, etc). And we have an abundance of Mountain Lions that seem to favor the deer over actually doing some work to get a boar.

I would suspect it's a bit north of 300. This one my dad got looks about the same size and was just under the 350lbs mark.

PhotoMoto9500609522137.jpg

Nice Hog I got to hunt them while stationed in LA. lol never wanted to piss one off they sounded like a freight train coming though a cane field.

That's it I'm going on a Hog Hunt. Heard from many it is very exhilarating especially if they decide to charge you. Did any of you carry sidearms and if so what would you recommend. I'm sure 300WM would be enough for a rifle but how about sidearm?

They usually won't charge unless wounded or cornered. I still usually carry something anything from a 22lr to a 41mag but typically a 45acp.

hGF0IYn.jpg

Seriously... How do hogs get this big? 781lbs from Turkey. Chris's original, aka HTR707, was massive, and I would be so happy to bag one that size. This pic and the other one have popped up on Reddit the last few weeks since I've seen this post... Whoever is feeding hogs steroids needs to stop...

Attachments

• hGF0IYn.jpg
    hGF0IYn.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I think most of it is BS! That pig is no where close to 750lbs! I bet he did not go much over 400lb. The vast majority of the 350 pounders are never hung on a scale and are more around the 250lb mark.

That's it I'm going on a Hog Hunt. Heard from many it is very exhilarating especially if they decide to charge you. Did any of you carry sidearms and if so what would you recommend. I'm sure 300WM would be enough for a rifle but how about sidearm?

Forget exhilirating, if you're in tight cover and get a charge.....you'll damn near shit your britches. It get's easier the more you are around it. I always carry an officer model 1911 with fmj's, with hogs you want penetration, not h.p.'s.

Saying that, the last seven I killed was with a walther p22 loaded with cci stingers. Ten feet or less, ear holes, dead first shot every time.

Cheers,
Breeze

300WM is way plenty. But numbers is what you want and what we are after, bring an AR. When the first shot goes and them pigs go every which a ways, that's when the fun starts. If you have a can, bring it too. They'll still bust and run, but you might a couple extra, cuz some will run right at you!

Last edited:
hGF0IYn.jpg

Seriously... How do hogs get this big? 781lbs from Turkey. Chris's original, aka HTR707, was massive, and I would be so happy to bag one that size. This pic and the other one have popped up on Reddit the last few weeks since I've seen this post... Whoever is feeding hogs steroids needs to stop...

That hog is &$@&$&@ massive!