• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

There Are Still Some Good Deals On Ebay

G

Article

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Bartlett man finds $26,000 in safe bought on eBay</span></span>

MEMPHIS, TN -
(WMC-TV) - A Bartlett man found thousands of dollars inside an item he bought on eBay.

James Labrecque sold an old safe on eBay for $122.93.

"I made a mistake, you know, that's what it boils down to," said Labrecque. "And it cost me dearly."

Labrecque, an eBay user for more than 15 years, said he did not have the combination to the safe and believed it to be just another item to turn around.

"I thought it was empty," he said. "I shook it and I didn't feel anything inside of it, so I figured, well, maybe it's just a locked safe, you know. So I put it on eBay."

Labrecque lives in California. The person who bought the safe lives in Bartlett. Upon receipt, the buyer brought the safe to a welder, who cut it open.

Inside the safe was $26,000 in cash.

The buyer gave Labrecque a positive review and shared the news.

"I feel like the stupidest idiot in the world," said Labrecque. "I told my friend, I won the stupidest idiot in the world award the other day, you know. I gave away a safe with $26,000 in it."

<span style="font-weight: bold">In a contentious e-mail chain Labrecque provided to Action News 5, he asked for a cut of the cash. The buyer declined, citing Labrecque's seller policy that states, "What you see is what you get, no returns, and no money back."</span>

Labrecque said this is different.

"That's a chunk of change, you know. That's life-altering money," he said. "I mean, if I was in that situation and I found that kind of money and I bought it from someone, I'd say, 'Here man, I found this money. I'll give you half of it.'"

Action News 5 tried to track down the buyer, but has not yet made contact.

Re: There Are Still Some Good Deals On Ebay

What I get from the end of the article, is that they don't know if the story has any merit at all. Love the way the press researches their facts.

Weird story and if it's true I would never have told the seller about it... Just creates an unnecessary headache.

So we're supposed to think that if the fellow who purchased the safe was the only bidder and the seller, while bored had accidently stumbled on the way to open the safe, that he is such a fair guy that he would have said to the bidder, "Hey I just opened the safe your trying to buy and found $26,000 and since your the high bidder I'll share half of it with you!" Right! I hope the story is real.
Now excuse me while I go buy some old safes to put on ebay and advertise as keys/combos lost, contents unknown! (Just kidding!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Labrecque said this is different.

"That's a chunk of change, you know. That's life-altering money," he said. "I mean, if I was in that situation and I found that kind of money and I bought it from someone, I'd say, 'Here man, I found this money. I'll give you half of it.'"
</div></div>

uh huh...

Im surprised Ebay didnt ask for a cut, or at least up their commission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im surprised Ebay didnt ask for a cut, or at least up their commission. </div></div>

No doubt!

I wouldn't mind sending him a grand from it. Its only 1k out of 26, leaving me with 25 left over. Of course I wouldn't tell him about it and keep it all so thats a moot point.

Making any statement that the cash should be split between the previous and current owner in any proportion is absolutely ridiculous. The current owner has all rights to the property, regardless the perceived value. This is no different than an item being purchased then resold again at a profit. Should the owner who 'flipped' the property be compelled to split the profit with the original owner?

Property switches ownership, the new owner takes the risk or either turning a profit or losing his shirt.

That's a good story. I'm glad the welder didn't accidentally torch the $$$.