• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Coyote Hunting (Any new upcoming options?)

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
Looking for my next thermal for coyote hunting. Currently debating between the Iray Bolt 50 V2, Iray Hybrid, Nvision XRF, and maybe Pulsar XG50 LRF. I know, the XRF kinda takes the cake. I just can’t wrap my mind around it being ~$4k more than the other options. For those that have dealt with some/all of these options, what’s your opinion?

*Edit I hunt open country where 3x or more base mag is necessary.

A follow up question is, I hate to jump the gun too soon in fear of something new coming about before my season. I know there’s talk of “cheaper” 1280 options. The reality is, it’s a rapid evolving technology and any new purchase will be behind in short time anyway. But any new options anyone is aware of that are coming out in the next few months I should hold out for?

Last edited:
Reactions: BgBmBoo
I’d encourage you to look through each optic if you can, not all cores are equal.

As for upcoming tech, there’s always something around the corner and you can have paralysis by analysis. I’ll say if you buy a unit new with warranty, you will be happy with it for a long time (all the units you mentioned are better than “good enough”).

If you don’t have to have the XRF, you should be able to find a used HALO LR for $6k or so. I’ve been running a NOX18 since they came out and it’s been perfect for me.

Others will probably chime in with more experience across multiple brands

Looking for my next thermal for coyote hunting. Currently debating between the Iray Bolt 50 V2, Iray Hybrid, Nvision XRF, and maybe Pulsar XG50 LRF. I know, the XRF kinda takes the cake. I just can’t wrap my mind around it being ~$4k more than the other options. For those that have dealt with some/all of these options, what’s your opinion?

A follow up question is, I hate to jump the gun too soon in fear of something new coming about before my season. I know there’s talk of “cheaper” 1280 options. The reality is, it’s a rapid evolving technology and any new purchase will be behind in short time anyway. But any new options anyone is aware of that are coming out in the next few months I should hold out for?
AGM Rattler TS50-640…

I’d encourage you to look through each optic if you can, not all cores are equal.

As for upcoming tech, there’s always something around the corner and you can have paralysis by analysis. I’ll say if you buy a unit new with warranty, you will be happy with it for a long time (all the units you mentioned are better than “good enough”).

If you don’t have to have the XRF, you should be able to find a used HALO LR for $6k or so. I’ve been running a NOX18 since they came out and it’s been perfect for me.

Others will probably chime in with more experience across multiple brands
I recently sold a Bering Super Yoter 640 and to be honest, I have a slight regret because I’m having a hard time deciding on something that’s substantially better. LRF would be nice so that’s my main reason to upgrade.

Reactions: rlsmith1
AGM Rattler TS50-640…
Not really an AGM fan. Heard of issues with them and their support is hit or miss. I recently sold my Bering Super Yoter and was looking to upgrade and I don’t think the AGM would be an upgrade. I should’ve mentioned that in my original post, sorry.

Reactions: dirtytough
What about long range clip ons?

Apparently N-Vision is working on a new LR clip on. Probably no LRF though.

What about long range clip ons?

Apparently N-Vision is working on a new LR clip on. Probably no LRF though.
I’ve kicked around the idea. I do like to record my hunts though and I know some clip ons can record, but it’s demagnified. But I do go back and forth so I haven’t totally wrote it off.

While I haven’t used the exact models you mentioned I’ve had thermals from Pulsar, Nvision, Bering, FLIR and Burris.

I’ve been most impressed with Bering from an image and functionality standpoint. They all have trade-offs so determining which features you can’t live without will help narrow it down a bit.

They all have issues too. I had to send back the Pulsar, Bering and Nvision. CS was good on all of them though and they fixed the issues in a timely manner.

Reactions: nikonNUT
While I haven’t used the exact models you mentioned I’ve had thermals from Pulsar, Nvision, Bering, FLIR and Burris.

I’ve been most impressed with Bering from an image and functionality standpoint. They all have trade-offs so determining which features you can’t live without will help narrow it down a bit.

They all have issues too. I had to send back the Pulsar, Bering and Nvision. CS was good on all of them though and they fixed the issues in a timely manner.
So you’re telling me I shouldn’t have sold my Super Yoter? 😂

Dollar for dollar you can’t beat Bering.

Reliability and service you can’t beat Trijicon (but features will be a little behind the times for the price.

N-Vision… this company has the products and potential to blow all other high end companies out of the water. It’s up in the air how that will or won’t pan out. Their CS is EXCELLENT for some and mediocre for others. That’s both encouraging and risky. I doubt anybody has been “screwed” but some have been less fortunate than others. Many have been VERY well cared for.

Hopefully N-Vision can standardize and prioritize this.

The products are cutting edge (compared to other higher quality products). The image is perfect.

The company listens to pee-ons like us for feedback and product suggestions… that’s HUGE!

Posts from a year ago strongly hint that they are working on a clip on. I’m very interested in this and expect they will nail it if they are still working on it.

One thing to keep in mind with all these companies:

Chinese companies can (and do) innovate faster so their products will always have more “features”. That’s because when quality isn’t a factor, you can change what you want, when you want, with no consequences. If you’re an idiot, chase “features”.

Strongly consider choosing quality over features… I’ve been at this a while and I’ve never regretted this.

Last edited:
Haha - I didn’t want to say that but they seem to offer quite a bit of value for the price. The new LRF models may be something to look into. They have better battery options too and an improved housing.
Yeah I think that’s why I’m struggling trying to find anything drastically better without spending 4x the price. I’m patiently waiting for the next break through at a good price. I have eyeballed the new super yoter though, it’s definitely intriguing.

Reactions: Rerun7
Hopefully N-Vision can standardize and prioritize this.

Posts from a year ago strongly hint that they are working on a clip on. I’m very interested in this and expect they will nail it if they are still working on it.
It’s not a hint. Tym from N-Vision has said they are working on a long range clip on and it “should be” released sometime this year. It was on the Late Night Vision Show.

Reactions: rlsmith1
If you prefer to have LRF and not spend a lot, the XG50 LRF is the way to go and their supposed to have the integrated stream vision ballistic calculator firmware update for the LRF Thermion models this year.
Even though it has a lot better battery life and if you choose it, buy extra batteries.
I ordered a Thor 5 XD 3x LRF to compare to my Halo X50 and other available thermals , if and when I get it.
It has a lot of nice features, but it's ATN, so who knows.

If you prefer to have LRF and not spend a lot, the XG50 LRF is the way to go and their supposed to have the integrated stream vision ballistic calculator firmware update for the LRF Thermion models this year.
Even though it has a lot better battery life and if you choose it, buy extra batteries.
I ordered a Thor 5 XD 3x LRF to compare to my Halo X50 and other available thermals , if and when I get it.
It has a lot of nice features, but it's ATN, so who knows.
Not spend a lot? The Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 is $6000 dollars. Hopefully your not referring to the discontinued Thermion XG50 model.

The Thermion 2 XP50 LRF Pro ballistic firmware upgrade has already been released. We are waiting for it to be released for the Thermion 2 XG50 LRF

It’s not a hint. Tym from N-Vision has said they are working on a long range clip on and it “should be” released sometime this year. It was on the Late Night Vision Show.
I reached out to them after listening to that and they said they will have “a few different options” with regards to FOV which sounds promising

Reactions: dirtytough
Not spend a lot? The Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 is $6000 dollars. Hopefully your not referring to the discontinued Thermion XG50 model.

The Thermion 2 XP50 LRF Pro ballistic firmware upgrade has already been released. We are waiting for it to be released for the Thermion 2 XG50 LRF
$6 k is a great price for a thermal scope with LRF and other capabilities.
The update was released in May, but I haven't seen any footage but this yet.

SJC

Haha - I didn’t want to say that but they seem to offer quite a bit of value for the price. The new LRF models may be something to look into. They have better battery options too and an improved housing.
Bering has been a bit slow to release their LRF unit, but I do have a released Super Yoter LRF, and am happy to talk about how it compares to many options. I recently tested it in comparison to the N-vision XRF, Thermion 2 XG50, a few 640 Pards, and even a 640 Armasight 640 Contractor. These types of conversations are better over the phone not on public forums. This way we can dig into your needs, etc. Just to be clear, there isn't one thermal that is best in every situation, and if anyone wants to drill down into this topic, send me a message, and I will provide my cell number to chat and find out what would work well for them.

Got to sit behind Iray Bolt ( 640 core ) last night. It gave me an erection .
As much as I despise PRC. That is a pretty well thought out user friendly rifle mounted Therm. with a good FOV , giving clean detail image for 5-k retail .

Iray's unit are fantastic is on my next purchase. All my shooting is between 25-150yards so any of the 640 unit is too much to lose FOV but are great for past 300 yards. I have been using the AGM Micro Python 35 with great success. I do some searching and destroying critters in the woods which is a lot of fun. I like to see how close I can get to them then nuke em.

Does this mean you have to change your username? 🧐
change user name, probably not .
-
The unit is not mine, so I can Not comment on the owner/user ease of zeroing POA/POI . Or the reliability of holding Zero moving threw all it's magnification selections .
640 core Bolt, iray base magnification of 3.5X image was outstanding crisp and defined with detail and depth . Sitting behind rifle, I was scrutinizing image against field terrain from 100 to 500 yard, brush blackberry's, trees horses . You really did not even 'start' to get blocky on the pixel till moving into past 7x, and 14 X image was still pretty good strong .

I got to say that the 1st thing that grabs 'me' on Iray Bolt, is that the design resemblance of traditional day scope just makes to calm your initial anxiety when you 1st sit behind a new piece of electronic equipment and wrap your head around it, because it is already friendly by it's shape/design to your brain and muscle memory as it mounted to the rifle.
The button layout on top of Ocular housing was pretty user inviting with menu selection, color palettes, and the 'standby' image ON button was pretty nice option.
The top Knob ( Elev. knob position ) is power selection knob . So was nice easy fast grip with the fingers, and It easy turning knob clockwise/counter clockwise for powerX choice . The standard scope position of Windage and side Focal Knobs R-L side, Is battery compartment/ battery accessory .

( Me ) - I may NOT be the best guy for new electronics evaluations . i got 'many' years night hunting but I not a guy that chases or requires new features . My whole night hunt religion is 'Less Is More' and live by function before fashion . I could give a Rats Ass about Bluetooth, Disney fantasia color pallets, or recording shoots and sharing on the internet.

So, end this with my simpleminded wants and needs night hunting . Overall basic impression made of Iray Bolt 640 core, ( left on me ). It left me with 'feeling good' like I could get pretty fucking cocky with taking 300 yard shots on dogs at night.

Reactions: Big Phish

Just an option. I have a Bolt V1 new in box I would let go at a good price.