• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Image Rifle Scope

Snub

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2014
[BI know practically zero about assault rifles and scopes. I bought an AK47 strictly for protection. I estimate the target to be very short range: around 20 – 40 yards. If I were forced to protect my family, night time conditions will come into play, so I want a scope that will handle this. I’m seriously leaning toward a thermal imaging scope vs. a NV. Here’s the issue: Other than what I researched on the Internet I know nothing about thermal scopes and they’re too darn expensive to buy one I won’t be pleased with.

I do not want to pay additional money for one offering video recording if there is such a thing. I do want one that can be used in both daytime and nighttime conditions and because the target range will be so close I think anything over 1x – 1.5x magnification would be too strong. If possible I would like to pay in the $4,000 range, but am open to $6,000 - $7,000 if necessary to get what I want in high quality. I’m not concerned about low battery life because I would keep a bunch of them on hand. Here are some questions:

Is there a difference between a sight and a scope?

What do I look for in a good thermal imaging scope?

Are there thermal imaging scopes that work well in sunlight and dark (night) conditions?

Would I be better off buying a red eye scope for daylight conditions and a thermal scope for nighttime? Quick release scopes, of course.

Are they durable or will I need to replace a part or parts over time? Keep in mind that the ONLY time I would use it would be IF the need would arise to protect my family at night. I do not hunt and have no hog problems.

And please offer suggestions as to what scope you would recommend.
Thanks.

Snub,
I understand your need to protect your family. Because I have been in that situation myself, usually confronting petty thief's from time to time. I don't know how close your neighbors are too you but if you live with them close by I wouldn't be shooting a ak-47 anyway. At close range a home defense shotgun may be a better choice. I have only limited exsperience with thermal ( xp-100) I've had for several years. I also have night vision pvs-14's and a pvs-5050. If I hear noises at night I usually grab my night vision to scan from the safety of my home because I can see through the windows which a thermal can't do that. Then I have a choice to grab my shotgun with a powerful light and move my family to a safe room and call the Cops and pray the Cops get their first. Maybe your needs are different than mine and If your set on thermal there are plenty of guys here that can help you out better than I can by far.Keep seeking and ask plenty of questions that's the only way you'll make the right decision.

Night vision such as PVS-14 and weapon mounted light.

I'm not sure what your defense needs are but Thermal is really bad for close distance home defense.
Inability to identify targets, can't see through glass, etc.
It's a very special equipment and as such should be used for what it's intended - long range detection, etc