• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal on a shotgun?

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Anyone put a thermal on a shotgun. Like a Benelli m1m2m4? I have been thinking that would make a good home defense setup. Any suggestions of optic that would hold up.

I'd personally stick with something with no magnification if I stuck it on a shotgun. I'd mount it very far forward on the optic rail. It would cut your FOV, but I think you'd have the most utility that way cause you would be able to passively aim with it under head mounted NVG's and kinda use it as a coti. That set up would satisfy moreso a tactical use case, it'd be a little backwards for hunting

here in NJ we can only night hunt yotes with a shotgun -- I don't know many people who do it

Thermal on a shotty would make this much more interesting

rifles are daylight only on private land -- no WMA hunting with a rifle at any time

There are only two manufacturers in the budget class of thermal's that are rated for 12ga and more recoil.
Pulsar and Bering Optics Hogster Beast C clip on + Hogster Beast R scope.
They wouldn't be good for CQB use though.
Trij, N vision and Flir have clip ons + scopes , but your talking 7k+and more for those manufacturers.

Really depends what you will do with it. for home defense, too small a field of view. Head mounted pvs14 with IR laser would me more instinctive as you can pan around and simply put the laser on the target. I use a micro red dot and IR laser on my home defense shotgun, red dot is NV compatible and I have a helmet setup ready to go. I do not like thermals as the only sight method for home defense because they can not see through glass, so if someone is on the other side of a window or glass door you are blind.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
Yes. There is a fellow that hunts Fort Hood, Texas that has used both a Pulsar Apex and Pulsar Trail on shotguns because he can't rifle hunt there.
There are numerous other folks who have as well. His stuff I just happen to be most familiar with.

OP talked about home defense, I think the very narrow field of view would be a deal breaker if the hope is to see in darkness. If the goal is to stealth scan for people or sneak up on someone, maybe.

Maybe PVS-14 helmet mounted with IR laser and illuminator on the shotgun. You could run a COTI with the 14 or find a cheap, used breach.

4645B90A-DEB3-4D09-8F2E-AAFEAD57D6F5.jpeg

Maybe PVS-14 helmet mounted with IR laser and illuminator on the shotgun. You could run a COTI with the 14 or find a cheap, used breach.
I’m using a Benelli M4 with a Pulsar Apex Thermal Sight for hogs magnification is 1.5 - 6.0 and can be sighted for 3 firearms. Works great in total darkness.

Reactions: stefan73
It has been said but for home defense, you are going to see a heat signature. It could be a family member or someone robbing your house. Great for detection but unless you don't want to shoot the wrong person, I would look towards NV for this purpose. For hunting animals like coyotes or hogs, a whole different situation, and yes thermal is awesome.

So i checked out the sig echo 3 at my gunshop the other day, pretty sick little model. Not a big fan of the apple watch screen but.... it was pretty cool. I could see it on top of my saiga with slugs in

It has been said but for home defense, you are going to see a heat signature. It could be a family member or someone robbing your house. Great for detection but unless you don't want to shoot the wrong person, I would look towards NV for this purpose. For hunting animals like coyotes or hogs, a whole different situation, and yes thermal is awesome.
Yes the downside of thermal is identification. I use this gun purely for hunting and I still have to make sure I’m shooting a hog and not a calf, so i’m getting within 25-50 yards before making a shot. But on the house defense side I have nobody that should be in my home period unless invited especially with a weapon there hand.

This. Even with a 1x like a nox it would be very disorienting indoors and identification in a fluid situation would be virtually impossible. 14 or binos with coti and laser is what you seek.

Plus thermals need to be started and nuked and realistically need to warm up to achieve optimal performance. Think of them as being homestead defense rather than home defense.

So i checked out the sig echo 3 at my gunshop the other day, pretty sick little model. Not a big fan of the apple watch screen but.... it was pretty cool. I could see it on top of my saiga with slugs in

There are numerous reasons why those crappy Sig Echos are no longer in production....tiny screen, narrow FOV, low resolution, frequently NUCinc outside of user control, backlighting the user, etc.