• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal target identification

TEXASLAWMAN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Since more and more people are getting out and hunting with thermal these days I made this short video to show what different things look like at night. Sometimes even with the best systems things other than hogs look like hogs and it is imperative that you watch your target until positive identification is made. I have hunted with many people using night vision and thermal over the past few years and it is amazing to me how fast some people want to just shoot and identify later. Please Please take your time. And if hunting with others at night communicate. If this helps people I will make a more in depth video over the next few weeks.

I don't currently run thermals on a gun, but I operated a helicopter mounted FLIR system for a few years, during real world operations. I'll second the notion that target identification is important, and that what you think you see isn't always what you see. We were obviously looking for people, not hogs, but it's amazing how many things can look like people that are not!

Very well done and important information. We've had some crazy thermal hits in the deep woods in East Texas. One looked like a man looking at us on two legs. No clothes visible. Turned out to be 4 hogs stacked up on a hill. Never would have known till they moved.

Great video! Another good thing to do when hunting in a group of people who are either new to night hunting, or you have never hunted with, is to have one person who is more experienced stand back a little to make sure no one goes forward of the firing line or gets in another person's field of fire. You should have shot the gas well just to see what it would have done...just sayin.

The Army's experience in Colorado and Iraq proved that while thermals will help you acquire, track, and engage 4 times faster than with just passive night vision, passive (Starlight/image intensified) has much higher resolution to identify what you're looking at -- why fused (thermal and passive combined) has advantages.

The Army has proven (both in evaluations and training) that you can find, track, and squeeze the trigger...and kill friendlies faster than people will admit.

Excellent video.
Up north, we don't usually have the terrain for shots at long ranges, so Identifying targets is a bit easier.
That moron at the end was very lucky and the reason I hunt alone most of the time.
Being that I hunt predators on a deer farm, anything that isn't livestock or a deer, is fair game.
Keep up the good work.

I really enjoy watching the video's and you are making me want a thermal clip on for my rifles!