• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal Underwear

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
This may be the wrong forum for this, but it is kind of equipment.

I wanted to get Under Armor 3.0 cold gear, for a base layer. But being 6'5" there are no options for the tall guys. I searched for alternatives, and ran across:

http://militarythermals.com/

I haven't seen any reviews, other than on Amazon, and those seem to focus on the advertising of the wrong product.

Anybody have any info/experience on these or a good alternative to the Under Armor?

Re: Thermal Underwear

At 6'3", I run into the same problems a lot too. Try Carhartt or Cabela's brands. They make a lot of items, including thermals, in tall sizes.

The stuff on the link you posted looks the the older issue cold weather gear that is issued its good but the new stuff is even better. I know Cabela's carries the new ECWCS-III stuff I was just unable to find it on there website but have seen it every time I go into the store. The level 1 or 2 should be all you need as a base layer. I will say for the most part the silks work great by themselves if your going to be going in and out alot or will not be outside for a long time. With both layers you will stay really warm. The nice thing is you can use them together or separate depending how warm you want to be or how long you will be outside. If there is a military surplus store close to you they may carry the tan ones if color is not an issue and may be cheaper than the same thing from Cabela's. Here is a link to give you a general overview of how the whole system works.

www.adsinc.com/gen-iii

I have the under armor cold gear 3.0 and im the same dimensions as you are. i love mine, i think i wear a 2xl top and compression fit bottoms. mine works great. no issues whatsoever.

Here's the link for cabelas - http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Clo...dexId=104125680&productId=731115&type=product

I'd stick with the silk weight if you're gonnna be real active and wear a windproof outer layer. The medium weight is ok for active/sitting. The polar weight is very warm - think ice fishing outside, or sitting in a tree stand. It doesn't take much effort to sweat alot with the polar weight.

If you catch it on sale like it is right now, it's a good deal. If you are close to a Cabelas, you may even do better with in store sales.

some of you may laugh but kmart has a brand that is lights out the best I've worn. I'll get the name and post later but it's warm, comfortable, and doesn't shrink to much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brother is 6' something and we all use the Tad Gear merino wool baselayers , they have some new ones that work great also not the cheapest but are worth it .
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Pants-And-Shorts/Waffle-Baselayer-Bottom </div></div>

My next question would be wool or synthetics. I like the high content Merino wool socks, like 85% wool. But they seem to be hard to come by locally. I have some blended synthetic socks, but I can't tell if my feet are warm, as it seems they sweat almost immediately.

Don't have any wool, but the Cableas ECWCS pull moisture / sweat away from your skin like crazy. You will feel dry even if your outer layers feel or are damp. It's amazing stuff.

Look at any mountain sports, hiking, bicycle shops. Look for the brand name of Patigonia. Absolutely the BEST polypropelene underwear ever made. In 50 years of hunting these are the warmest and driest I have ever worn. My old set are the light weight ones. They are good for 95% of what I get into. I have 2 sets of the medium weight ones. 1 set has never been taken out of the package. I wear them a couple of times a year. The Patigonia brand also doesn't hold odors like some of the other brands.

Good luck.

order the bass pro shop brand thermals. i just got a set on black friday for 20 for tops and bottoms, im 6'3" and the large tops is like a large tall.

josh

When we all ski we have a family member who is 6'5 and he always buys a brand called Hot Chilli's. They are a base layer for skiers. Most companies like Under Armour, Nike, and so on will carry long length, you will just have to order them. You watch football and other outdoor spots, those tall guys have to get their gear from someplace....

I don't really like Under Armor cold gear unless I'm going to be moving around alot, I prefer the cabela's E.C.W.C.S., I bought the medium weight and polar weight. Both are outstanding, I was wearing the medium weight last night in 24 degree with wind blowing about 10 mph and was fine. I also have the older cabela's polartec polar fleece base layer which works well too but is a little more bulky than the ECWCS.

Second on the Patagonia underwear. They make several weights depending on what you do. I typically use an REI mid weight thermal shirt (didn't like the fit on the Patagonia) and Patagonia mid weight bottoms that are really warm. I typically wear them with my REI Shuksan pants, and short of sitting directly on snow for extended periods of time, I've never gotten cold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't really like Under Armor cold gear unless I'm going to be moving around alot</div></div>
+1
But if you move alot then UA is very nice.

I decided to try the Cabelas brand ECWCS gear, ordered the mid, and polar weights. To bad almost everything in tall is backordered.

I have the Carhartt long underwear, but being cotton, they don't transfer moisture well. I love my Carhartt stuff, as it fits well.

Now if I could find my 85% merino wool socks somewhere I'd be set, assuming I don't wait until June to get the backorderd stuff.

Bought a set of mossy oak apparel APX "Scent Stop" thermals 5 or 6 years ago at Gander. 100% polyester, and the warmest thermals I've ever had, by far better than any standard long underwear. These, and a set of smart wool socks and I'm good to go.

Here's what the shirt looks like, the turtle neck collar is a quality feature for retaining body heat. Spring turkey hunting I often just wear that and not bother with a coat...

turkey3.jpg

I am also tall, 6 1/2ft roughly; and reside in the GWN (Great White North, specifically Yates County within NY State's Southern Tier, about 60mi South of Lake Ontario). For cold weather gear, I have no reservations about ordering larger sizes. I use suspenders instead of belts, and the additional internal volume between layers helps augment the dead air insulation properties of my garments. Combine this with congestive heart failure, and any restrictive fits within my insulating clothing defeats its purpose.

I have used Surplus ECWCS polypro underwear and USGI Field Jackets/Plants/Balaclava shells and liners for well over a decade. I am intrigued by the newer ECWCS Gen III system.

I supplement layered glove systems with an insulated hunter's hand muff.

Greg