• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thermold AR Mags. Anybody used them?

Re: Thermold AR Mags. Anybody used them?

They were cool...in the 80s. Not so much anymore.

Some were excellent while others were pure garbage. The original mags were designed and built by a US mfg in the 1980's. The Canadian military tested them and adopted them instead of going with the standard USGI mags. The Canadians bought a license for the tooling/moulds for the mags, but instead of going with a proper polymer (I think it was Zytel sp?), they went with a different polymer and ended up with mags that were incredibly weak and prone to failure under full-auto and sustained fire. They ended up with cracked feed lips, mag bodies splitting at the seams and, ultimately, melting...thus the well-earned nickname "Thermelt" mags. That was only true however of the Canadian mags. Mag marked/moulded with "MM" are GTG (they were made by the original US mfg).

If you have some already that are quality mags, hang on to them...they should work well. If not and you are just looking for a polymer mag, look no further than the Magpul PMAGs in both 20 and 30-round varieties, including the windowed 30-round mags if you feel you need them. They are a superior mag in every respect when compared to the Thermolds.

Thanks for the input. I have a chance to pick some 20 rounders CHEAP. Thought they may make good plinking mags.

I had some 50 or so at one time. The good mags were made and stamped "Wilson NC" on the bottom of the mags.

Cut

I have had a set of the first mags for many years. Never had any issues like FTF/FTE/BO with them. They run flawless in my 15.

I have a few and they have never given me any problems. If you can get them cheap I would pick them up.

I had, well still have I guess 2 or 3 that came with the first AR I bought about 9 years ago. I can't say I've ever had any reliability issues. I left one loaded on top of my safe for 7 years and ran it dry about a month ago...no problems.

Other than the fact that they are hideous and the extra effort to seat it, I have no complaints