• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermold mags

Re: Thermold mags

They are the OEM Master Molder (or "MM") mags so they should be fine.

The problematic Thermolds (that earned them the name "Thermelts") were the Canadian one-offs that used an inferior polymer which resulted in the mags melting or otherwise failing under sustained fire due to cracked feed lips, broken mag bodies, etc.

My dad got me a couple and they make good range mags, but I'm not sure I'd trust them in a situation where my life is on the line. While I haven't had a serious problem with mine I have noticed that the bolt fails to stay open on one of them.

I recently bought 10 thermold 5.56 mags of the 20 round variety . I cleaned the mags and used some graphite lube . I then checked several of them with a colt 6940 , smith and wesson 300 blackout and a 458 socom and everything run just fine . for 4.25 a piece they arent to bad . I also have a rock river 308 and have some 20 round polymer mags made by thermold for rock river I have used these mags for about 1 year now and not any issues at all.

Thanks guys fo the input. Think I'll order some from CDNN and give them a try.

I use the 20 & 30rd mags probably a bit more than my PMags and don't have any problems with the bolt locking open on the last round or dropping free from the mag well.

I use the 20 rounders exclusively in my 20" AR for bench and prone. These are the Master Molder ones for both the 20 and 30 rounder.

The Canadian ones skipped on the zytel taking the cheap route, those are the ones to stay away from. The have the Canadian Leaf on them.

Got a couple 20s no feed issues, no drop problems, don't lock the bolt back. Range and hunting, no SD, definitely wouldn't recommend for duty.