• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s They Burn Real Good

White

Private
Minuteman
Oh oh, I didn't know they generated power and greenhouse gases!
10c_panIntro.jpg
6978_4248_thumb.jpg
Burnt_out_turbine.jpg
fire_in_an_wind_turbine_wind_energy_2_29fe50d390c5ac3bced8a74db4de8dbd_490x350.png
fire-turbine2.jpg
fire-turbine-sm.jpg
german_turbine_fire-der_spiegel.jpg
lit.jpg
sourceofsaidsmoke.jpg
wind_turbine_fire.jpg
url]

Re: They Burn Real Good

Can you get windmill insurance??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308longshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I thought I wanted one in the back yard </div></div>

Yeah at least 400-500 yards away from the house, pretty cool pics

Condor cuisinarts! They Slice. They dice. They chop... and now they cook! Condor, the other other white meat.

It's a mechanical device. Mechanical devices fail. And the more spectacular the failure... the more fun to watch.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That could NOT have been cheap to replace..

</div></div>

No worries, I'm sure it's subsidized by us tax payers and we'll have it fixed in no time. /sarc

"That was actually a vulture."

I know, however the other articles I found were all text. Not quite as impressive as seeing the hit.
However there is plenty of documentation that any soaring birds in the area of these things are taking a severe beating population-wise. Google it.
The fricken hippies pushed to have these things (usually way far away from them, so they don't have to see them) installed everywhere, without thinking it through. The tips of these things are going up to 200 mph in the larger ones.

I can see having a windmill of smaller proportion with more blades on a farm - been thinking of that for my future ranch.

But these things, yeah - guess the hippies didn't think it through..

Kinda working on a Vertical Shaft deelie here. No vane, and governable.

In the hopes of preventing this ^^^ from happening.

My Father-in-law is currently rebuilding a house that burned down from one of the residential windmills. The box inside the house self destructed and did 60k in damage. Their family bought 5 of them at 30k a piece installed. None work still and 2 caught on fire. Installation company out of buisness and windmills come to find out were made in China.

The thought of being inside one of these when they go ape shit....no thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308longshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I thought I wanted one in the back yard </div></div>
I was trying to decide between wind power and nuclear in my backyard. Guess the turbines are just too dangerous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have killed over 500 Golden Eagles at the Altamont facility in CA.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Wjsh0TeOg></div></div>

It is those darn kids and their peir pressure. It would not have happened if they had the sack to say I am not going to do that. Same thing for drugs.

Ok that was harsh. I will save my comment about how ca. sucks and anything that lives there gets what it gets.

We got enough of those spread across Eastern WA.... just wait til one of those sparks up and starts a wild fire. Talk about dry wheat fields burning...wonder how fast they would go up.

Yeah, there's a whole herd of them south of Winnipeg, too. And I too fear the day when it sets the wheatfields a'ragin'.

The fires are caused by bearing failures in the transmissions. The blades are between 80 and 100 feet in length and made of fiberglass. They generate increadible pressure on the bearings and when the lube breaks down or any other malfunction that's what you get. You should see ice fly off the damn things after an ice storm...best viewed from a good distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308longshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I thought I wanted one in the back yard </div></div>
I was trying to decide between wind power and nuclear in my backyard. Guess the turbines are just too dangerous </div></div>

I'm guessing you mean this as sarcasm... but the truth is, in America at least, wind generation is more dangerous than nuclear generation... Even the supporters of industrial wind as a renewable solution acknowledge this. Of course if you compare deaths per kWh, it looks even worse for wind generation...

Wind = 32 confimed deaths
Nuclear = 8 confirmed deaths

http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html
http://www.wind-works.org/articles/BreathLife.html

I have worked on wind towers and in nuclear powers plant and ya the nuke was a lot safer. One neat thing on em tho is there tower is 3 sections. After you set your last section and are waiting for the cell to show up if you run around up there you can get tho whole tower swaying back and forth a good bit.We scared one guy on a crew so bad we had to stop or he was going down from all the swaying.