• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

They can't take our Rail Guns!

Re: They can't take our Rail Guns!

The only problem is the size of the battery you have to lug around, all while being shot at by some drone operator who is "just following orders".

That is funny...unibrow. But the concept is interesting...going to ply with it a bit. I wonder what the increase in velocity is as yuo add more coils?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is funny...unibrow. But the concept is interesting...going to ply with it a bit. I wonder what the increase in velocity is as yuo add more coils? </div></div>

Well it's actually pretty easy. You simply add more groups of coils along a longer barrel each turning on and off quicker than the last as you move the projectile down the barrel so it's a pretty basic calculus problem (i.e. it's a curve). The real problem is getting enough power to each coil pack fast enough and as you get down the barrel you need the coil to turn off faster and faster. It becomes power and cost prohibitive pretty quickly, the tech just isn't there (yet) which is why the guys in these videos are just screwing around with it. However, someday, this will be a very viable weapon and will easily surpass firearms.

<span style="color: #009900">However, someday, this will be a very viable weapon and will easily surpass firearms. </span>

someday? easily? yep, someday firearms will be worthless because a comet will smash into Earth. Don't hold your breath.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdZo_keUoEs&feature"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdZo_keUoEs&feature" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is funny...unibrow. But the concept is interesting...going to ply with it a bit. I wonder what the increase in velocity is as yuo add more coils? </div></div>

Well it's actually pretty easy. You simply add more groups of coils along a longer barrel each turning on and off quicker than the last as you move the projectile down the barrel so it's a pretty basic calculus problem (i.e. it's a curve). The real problem is getting enough power to each coil pack fast enough and as you get down the barrel you need the coil to turn off faster and faster. It becomes power and cost prohibitive pretty quickly, the tech just isn't there (yet) which is why the guys in these videos are just screwing around with it. However, someday, this will be a very viable weapon and will easily surpass firearms. </div></div>
Do you really need to time adding power? I mean, couldn't you turn on all the coils at once and just remove power individually as the projectile is passing through?

That dude is hilarious.

Couldnt you do the same thing with explosives? Like a gas port system working in reverse? They already have very fast precision switches figured out for nukes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rgrrrttyyuiop-853

Well it's actually pretty easy. You simply add more groups of coils along a longer barrel each turning on and off quicker than the last as you move the projectile down the barrel so it's a pretty basic calculus problem (i.e. it's a curve). The real problem is getting enough power to each coil pack fast enough and as you get down the barrel you need the coil to turn off faster and faster. It becomes power and cost prohibitive pretty quickly, the tech just isn't there (yet) which is why the guys in these videos are just screwing around with it. However, someday, this will be a very viable weapon and will easily surpass firearms. </div></div>

Do you really need to time adding power? I mean, couldn't you turn on all the coils at once and just remove power individually as the projectile is passing through? </div></div>

Yeah, you could do something like that but it would be far from optimal and would take far more power and the real problem is getting the coils to lower the field fast enough to not pull the projectile back, slowing it down. You really want to time the field so that it is at peek power to give the projectile the most pull as possible and the field is only going to be at the peek power for a very short amount of time (imagine a bell curve). The main problem is getting the coils to discharge fast enough (the negative slope of the bell curve).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miles2go</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #009900">However, someday, this will be a very viable weapon and will easily surpass firearms. </span>

someday? easily? yep, someday firearms will be worthless because a comet will smash into Earth. Don't hold your breath.
</div></div>

Your failing to understand doesn't mean it's improbable and no need to hold any breath, they already exist, but the components are too big to be handheld and power requirements can't be achieved by batteries small enough to be carried. Li batteries will make it possible sooner than you'd like to believe or is the Earth still flat in your parts?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pduNiMGDtLI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pduNiMGDtLI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Sounds like a Sianse Espearmint. Man is destenned to ahvolve.

It will become a viable weapon someday...and I can hear it now. "Our forefathers never had railguns in mind when they wrote the second ammendment."