• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

They don't make them like they used to...

Re: They don't make them like they used to...

My mom told me when she was a baby they had no carseats her mom was taught to lay her and her sisters on thare tummys in the back seat.

As a kid I remember my family driving in the station wagon to Disneyland. No seat belts no nothing. This was the late 60's. Got in a wreck on Interstate 5 and I flew all the way from the back fold up rear facing seat all the way up and broke the rear view mirror off. Things have changed. Although we still went to Disneyland. Today everyone gets out holding their necks crying whiplash.

It's pretty impressive that the modern car can take that kind of punishment.

The post-crash protection offered by modern automobiles is nothing short of amazing. The impacts that crippled people two decades ago (and killed them two decades before that) are quite often now reduced to minor injuries.

Now, if we could just supplement this with some improved driver behavior...

Just looking at the dummies says it all. I don't know that the dude in the 59 would have survived that impact with the steering wheel column. Dude in new car left a nice ink print center of the airbag. I'll take the new car for a head-on crash!

Why would they wreck that car?! Modern technology is great, and yet people are stupid enough to purposefully wreck a classic car.

Also, I will give this point to modern technology with the crash safety, but the actual quality has gone to shit. Last month I tore down a 1944 Farmall and there were 3 bolts that we broke because they wouldn't come out and the heads of the screws that go through the floor pan were worn flat so I cut those off. That's it on a 68 year old machine. Did a lower control arm on my wife's 2005 and everything was rusted to shit and broke 2 bolts just in that little job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking at the dummies says it all. I don't know that the dude in the 59 would have survived that impact with the steering wheel column. Dude in new car left a nice ink print center of the airbag. I'll take the new car for a head-on crash! </div></div>

I was at this crash test, the driver of the 59 would have been DRT. They actually did this test twice, the first practice run was done on an unrestored car, the second was done on a semi-restored car they bought at the Carlisle swap meet.

I thought the new car would have come out much worse but the energy management built into the structure did exactly what is was supposed to do. The biggest hazard to the driver of the new car would be the hood of the 59 coming through the windshield.

I have been to a bunch of crash tests the IIHS and this one didn't even sound the same as the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking at the dummies says it all. I don't know that the dude in the 59 would have survived that impact with the steering wheel column. Dude in new car left a nice ink print center of the airbag. I'll take the new car for a head-on crash! </div></div>

I was at this crash test, the driver of the 59 would have been DRT. They actually did this test twice, the first practice run was done on an unrestored car, the second was done on a semi-restored car they bought at the Carlisle swap meet.

I thought the new car would have come out much worse but the energy management built into the structure did exactly what is was supposed to do. The biggest hazard to the driver of the new car would be the hood of the 59 coming through the windshield.

I have been to a bunch of crash tests the IIHS and this one didn't even sound the same as the others. </div></div>

Interesting stuff to hear there!

You know, one interesting thing is that everyone believes the old cars were heavier... by a large margin. From the numbers I looked up, the bel-air only had about 200lbs on the malibu. That's something most people just don't realize; sure, they are larger in size, but the weight isn't that different than they are today. Of course the weight comes in a different form these days (electronics, wiring, insulation and interior parts/pieces vs. frame, heavy gauge body metal, iron drivetrain).

Anyway, it would seem to me that these two cars would represent a good match for what this test is trying to illustrate; cars of similar weight and size separated by over 50 years in technology. Result is a great demonstration of how technology is saving lives despite the impression of cars being less than they used to be.

Lets not even talk about the idea that car manufactures are intentionally producing cars that are more difficult to work on with a shorter life-span to keep repair shops open and new models selling. How about the 30k mile tune-up... that went away how long ago?? The fact is, the owner doesn't really NEED to work on their car unlike 50 years ago. My 2011 Avalanche goes 7500 miles between oil changes, won't need plugs until 100k; hell, all I have to do is keep the fluids topped off and spend 30 minutes at the dealership every 7500 miles for my oil/filter change and tire rotation. And if I DID want to work on it, I have a $150 code reader; there isn't anything I can't do on this truck that I could on 77 F-150 my father had, or my 98 F-150 that this Avalanche replaced.

I could rant on and on about this stuff. People are resistant to change and learning new things- there for they become skeptical about the new things and nostalgic about the old. Try to go buy a 650HP (and not that BS gross HP they used in the 60's) Mustang that will get 20MPG and survive a head-on impact at 75mph... 40 years ago... Won't even mention skid pad performance and 100 to 0 braking performance.