• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thick AR Grip

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
I'm a big guy with big hands. im trying to find a grip with a heavy palm swell to get my hand back away from the trigger so it's much more natural. I currently have to used my finger tips to press the trigger instead of the flat part of my finger it's a real MFer and inconsistent. I feel I'm a good 1'1/4 to far forward. Any suggestions? Thxs

The Ergo Deluxe grip or the Sierra Precision SPR Grip would be my recommendations.

Reactions: MSTN
I wear an XL glove and use Ergo Deluxe grips. When hunting in the cold wearing gloves the grip fits me pretty well.

The SPR grip is pretty good, the plastic can get pretty slick if it's hot out so I stippled mine for better texturing over the grip tape I was using before. I still need to modify it for an ambi-safety and then I'll probably throw it back on my 18" SPR.

One quick note, my SPR grip came with a safety detent spring hole that was drilled just a shade too deep, although I'm not sure if mine was a fluke or that's just how they do things. It still allowed the safety to function but it wasn't as positive as I'd have liked so I clipped a small section off an extra Glock trigger housing pin and dropped it into the hole. The diameter was a perfect slip fit and the safety detent is strong and positive. Just something to keep in mind.

+1 for the Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip. Also using a flat trigger bow increases that distance just a tiny bit more as well.

If I can just get it close I can always build it up with nonskid tape

+1 for the ergo. Buddy had it on his XLR chassis and it felt nice.

Good thread. I can palm a basketball and find my finger able to go so far past the trigger most annoying with handguns. But I'll be trying one of the suggestions above for ARs. Thanks.

Thanks for the post. I had been dithering over the Luth AR Chubby Grip for far too long. My glove size is XX-Large.

Just ordered one, in Black, also available in FDE. $29.31 with standard shipping.

If I like it, I'll get another for my second Lower.

Greg

I installed an Ergo Deluxe on my RPR Rimfire today and I like the feel much better than the stock A1 that comes on it. Not only in terms of the fatter thickness/palm swell, but the soft rubber texture is a lot more grippy as well.

I got my SPR grip modified for a ambi-safety last night, I still have some sanding to do but it came out good. This is going to probably stay on the Recce and I'll throw an ambi-safety on it and while it's comfortable, I think the Ergo Deluxe still wins out in terms of comfort.

Cartman I feel your pain brother. Thats why i like my glock I run the big back strap on it. Let me know if that grip helps I may order one too.

If you're still looking, TLC is what I'm using now on a bolt rifle. Here it is next to a SPR and an Ergo Deluxe. Let me know if interested in a picture of it on a AR and I'll pull it and put it on one.

IMG_20190824_070950641.jpg

IMG_20190824_070825604.jpg

Anarchy Outdoors Emperor Grip is pretty large.

The cheaper Penguin Grip and also the Tuxedo grip are made to smaller dimensions, so I’d stay away from them

The Ergo Deluxe feels like you are holding a racquet ball in your hand IMO. The palm swells are spherical basically. The SPR is great if you are right handed and care ZERO about ever shooting left handed or having a left handed shooter run your rifle. For a normal large ambi AR grip that spaces with a beavertail, has width, and is more vertical the BCM Mod3 is my choice over grips like the MIAD/MOE. I do wish the Mod3 was spaced back another 1/8 inch to 1/4 though, but people with medium hands can still run the rifle comfortably.

Make sure you can use a full wrapped grip. A no thumb wrapped bolt gun style grip can allow for unintended bumpfires in an AR platform.