• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thieves.... forced start over

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    The other night I accidentally left my garage door open. That same night my neighborhood was ransacked by fucking thieves. They made off with RCBS chargemaster, RCBS prep center, swage dies, 400 ct 175 SMK's, 600 ct 69 SMK's, chronograph (gama beta) and a shit ton of brass.

I'm upset with myself, as I'm usually aware of my surroundings.... however I slipped up and now I'm learning the hard way...

My question is this, now that I have to start over (I most likely wont ever see that stuff again) what equipment should I consider? I loved my chargemaster 1500 and will mostly get another. I liked the rcbs prep center but what are some other options.

I may consider moving my reloading station indoors but the table must be stout. Does anyone have any pics of their setup they could share? or a kit to offer? space is limited as I have 3 little ones running around.

Re: Thieves.... forced start over

Sorry to hear that you were ripped off.I like my Chargemaster enough to buy another.I don't use a case prep center,I would rather sit with the family,in front of the tv,and use a cordless drill.There is a thread on benches someplace,I think in the photo section.Lots of good ideas there.Good Luck, Lightman

Oh man, I feel your pain bro, I forgot to put my cover on my boat after a fishing trip, that night someone stole 4k worth of tackle, rods and reels.
    Wish punks could keep their dickbeater's off of other peoples shit!
    Good luck in your endeavor.
    I load in my garage too, guns leaning against the wall, many times when I leave, I end up spinning a u ball and come back and make sure the door is down.

Yeah I'll stick with the charge master.

I'm really going to push my wife into "letting" me set up shop in our guest room...

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm using an old teacher's desk for my reloading bench.
    2 inch thick top and is plenty heavy

Get a safe to put in your stuff into.

OK I will bite , whats the feather for ??? Arnie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308 supsonic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a safe to put in your stuff into. </div></div>

I already have two.... packed with goods.

I'm thinking about making my own corner desk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to the local pawn shops and also keep checking craigslist. </div></div>

yep, I'll hit them up this weekend.

As the Mechanic says. They took pretty specialized equipment...most pawnbrokers won't accept it. Try some Gun Shows in the area. If they were petty thieves, they won't profit...really, really check some of the folks you have been shooting with, or talking about reloading with. Looks to me more of a target of personal acquisition rather than a target of opportunity. Then check the salvage dealers...the brass may be sold as scrap. Good luck.

Oh, we have 2 cats and my man cave is their food and kitty litter room. Somethin for them to play with. Note the kitty cat bed under the reloading table.

I'll cut the macho talk, but if they show up again.... I'll be happy to introduce myself.

Thieves= fucking limp dick fagots

That sucks man.

A hard part will be acquiring everything again. If you are like most reloaders all that is equipment you acquired over the years as funds allowed, now it's gone... Then now you know what running good stuff is like and you won't want to go back to the beginning stages.

Check out the Lyman case prep center. I like it alot, and I think Sinclair has a sale on it if I remember right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biggenius29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sucks man.

A hard part will be acquiring everything again. If you are like most reloaders all that is equipment you acquired over the years as funds allowed, now it's gone... Then now you know what running good stuff is like and you won't want to go back to the beginning stages.

Check out the Lyman case prep center. I like it alot, and I think Sinclair has a sale on it if I remember right. </div></div>

Yeah, you pretty much hit everything on the head.

Pretty sad that we live in a day in age that you can't leave your garage open.... and I live in Lincoln Nebraska!

Hopefully your home owners will cover most of the loss. I'd also be worried about them coming back If they knew enough about the stuff they took to even know what it is they might come back for the guns someday.
    I am space limited so I drilled a few holes in a old sturdy book shelf. When I load I pull my tools and components from plastic storage bins and set-up then load. When done I break it all down and put it back in storage bins. It annoys my wife when I leave it all set up she says its an eye-sore. Keeps the peace and all that remains are a few holes drilled into an old book shelf

Sounds like a rough deal. If you would like some 223 brass to get going again let me know I am more then happy to get some together and send it your way. 308 I am very short on so all that I have I use. Not sure if they got most of your brass or cleaned you out. No extra reloading stuff to pass on besides cheap lee hand tools.

It wasn't thieves, but Summer in my garage in Tallahassee that drove my reloading operation indoors. I saw plans for an easy-to-build portable press stand on the Hide and I built it. It is surprisingly stable and portable enough to store in a closet when not in use. Mine is made out of 3/4 in. walnut plywood. I put some felt furniture pads on the bottom to prevent marring counter tops. Minimum investment. Maximum portability and customer satisfaction.

Portablereloadingstand.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a rough deal. If you would like some 223 brass to get going again let me know I am more then happy to get some together and send it your way. 308 I am very short on so all that I have I use. Not sure if they got most of your brass or cleaned you out. No extra reloading stuff to pass on besides cheap lee hand tools. </div></div>

Much appreciated sir. I however will bounce back.... I'll do the old fashion American thing and work a few more jobs/hours. It's certainly nice to know that other fellow shooters are willing to offer aid.

thank you sir

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hate to say this but this theft sounds like someone who knew you had reloading equipment and wanted some or people who have seen your garage with the door open or some one mentioning it to casual acquaintances who later took advantage of your door being open. Casual theft of special equipment is rare as it is only good for one thing and of little value.

Keep your weapons in a locked safe that is bolted to the foundation or lacking a heavy safe move your weapons to someone else's safe until you have one installed in the house not the garage. It's likely the thieves will return for your guns next.

Good luck.

If one looks 'deep' at it though (sorry to hear about your loss, really), there's actually very few here who are 'banished' to lesser places.

Quite a few (dare I say "Majority") of us have our own 'man-caves' to one extent or another. When one takes into consideration the earnesty of our interests, to be relegated to these 'lesser places' is a deeper issue.

Move the vacuum, microwave, and hair dryer out to the back garden shed, and see how fast views may be changed. This "Women's Lib/Lip" is all about equality. Well, that goes both ways, don't it?

Get yer stuff into the house, and concentrate on a higher level of security. Not just for your stuff,,,, but now for you both, too. As has been alluded to, earlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I hate to say this but this theft sounds like someone who knew you had reloading equipment and wanted some or people who have seen your garage with the door open or some one mentioning it to casual acquaintances who later took advantage of your door being open. Casual theft of special equipment is rare as it is only good for one thing and of little value.
    </div></div>
    With 3 little ones running around, most likely didn't come from their freinds, or wife. If it's an aquaintance, it's all on him. Lincoln, NE is no small rural community, and he said punks came through the neihborhood.
    Around here it hapens all the time, one month it's vehicle theft, then backyard sheds, just a cycle.

Makes one think twice about posting pics of guns, man caves etc... on the net. Or describing your guns, valubles, and the like on forums. Especially if you use your real name!!
    Just some food for thought.

I want to make clear that I am not complacent with my personal items (ie firearm related items). I have two safes that are being utilized and are properly anchored to the floor.

This entire mess comes down to shitty luck and a slip up on my part.

I haven't been this upset since haji put a few rounds over my head.....

I'm really pushing my wife into letting me have a corner of the guest room. We'll see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really pushing my wife into letting me have a corner of the guest room. We'll see.</div></div>
    K_4c, first of all, let me be the first here, to THANK you for your service. It actually IS much appreciated.

Now, that being said,,,, your choice of words here elicited these words from my Wife, whom read this at the same time as myself:

"Give me a FUC&!#$ BREAK, that's just wroooonnnngggg."

Your stuff is her stuff,,, her stuff is your stuff. Marriage.
    Your house is her house,,, her house is your house. Being wed!

This little 'let' angle your coming from, is going to be massive problems in your future if you don't get things straight RIGHT NOW. And yes, my Lady feels the same way. Point is, you're not just getting my own opinion.

Your things matter too, and as I alluded to earlier, their coinciding with both of yours SECURITY ties it all together.

K_4c,
    If your last post was in reference to mine, you're reading something into it that's not there. I totally sympathize with you, having a similar experience myself.
    I don't agree with all the posts either. If I have to purchase another safe to house my reloading gear, fuck that.
    I'll go the security system route, be it camera's, large dogs, who knows, maybe a gaited community.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, you pretty much hit everything on the head.

Pretty sad that we live in a day in age that you can't leave your garage open.... and I live in Lincoln Nebraska! </div></div>

It's not just this "day in age" [sic] it's just how criminals operate. According to the first two independent websites about city demos and stats I came across Lincoln's property crime rate is 33% higher than the national average. This is not to say that where you live is a sewer but the numbers don't support your notion that Lincoln is exactly an idyllic garden of Eden.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, you pretty much hit everything on the head.

Pretty sad that we live in a day in age that you can't leave your garage open.... and I live in Lincoln Nebraska! </div></div>

It's not just this "day in age" [sic] it's just how criminals operate. According to the first two independent websites about city demos and stats I came across Lincoln's property crime rate is 33% higher than the national average. This is not to say that where you live is a sewer but the numbers don't support your notion that Lincoln is exactly an idyllic garden of Eden.
    </div></div>

agreed. It seems a lot has changed in the last 10 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K_4c,
    If your last post was in reference to mine, you're reading something into it that's not there. I totally sympathize with you, having a similar experience myself.
    I don't agree with all the posts either. If I have to purchase another safe to house my reloading gear, fuck that.
    I'll go the security system route, be it camera's, large dogs, who knows, maybe a gaited community. </div></div>

No disrespect intended. I just want to clarify that I am a responsible gun owner and not careless with my items.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really pushing my wife into letting me have a corner of the guest room. We'll see.</div></div>
    K_4c, first of all, let me be the first here, to THANK you for your service. It actually IS much appreciated.

Now, that being said,,,, your choice of words here elicited these words from my Wife, whom read this at the same time as myself:

"Give me a FUC&!#$ BREAK, that's just wroooonnnngggg."

Your stuff is her stuff,,, her stuff is your stuff. Marriage.
    Your house is her house,,, her house is your house. Being wed!

This little 'let' angle your coming from, is going to be massive problems in your future if you don't get things straight RIGHT NOW. And yes, my Lady feels the same way. Point is, you're not just getting my own opinion.

Your things matter too, and as I alluded to earlier, their coinciding with both of yours SECURITY ties it all together. </div></div>

Thanks for the marriage advice (ha). My wife is open to the idea but it has to be done with taste (her and I hate eye sores). So I just got to fashion a platform suitable to our entertainment room surroundings (it needs to blend in when I'm not using it).

p.s I agree with your stance.

There are some very nice benches on the bench thread that have doors on them.Kinda like an entertainment center.Might be the answer you are looking for.If you can get into the house,you will really like it,trust me! I also would donate some brass to a good cause,let me know what you need.Not charity,just helping a fellow shooter. Lightman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lightman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some very nice benches on the bench thread that have doors on them.Kinda like an entertainment center.Might be the answer you are looking for.If you can get into the house,you will really like it,trust me! I also would donate some brass to a good cause,let me know what you need.Not charity,just helping a fellow shooter. Lightman </div></div>

Thanks so much for the donation offer, but I'll be good to go in another few weeks... little extra work won't kill me. I'm amazed by the amount of generosity I've received. Truly appreciated guys...

I think that's the way I'm headed (with the bench). A nice clean look is what I'm shooting for. problem is finding a entertainment center that will hold up to a press being mounted to it. I'll look around on Craigslist and see what I can find.

If you don't already have a home alarm system that alerts the police you might want to consider one.
    A coworker of mine had some hunting gear stolen from his garage...a few months later when he was out of town the theives came back. Within view of the front door they parked their car with the hood raised. They knocked and signaled with their hand like they wanted to use the phone. Buddies 13 year old son opened the door to hand the phone handset to him. Dude kicked in the door and two of his buddies tied up the kids while they assaulted his wife until she opened the gun safes...later on when they were arrested they said the sole reason they came back to my buddies house is because they knew guns were in the house. A home alarm system wouldn't have helped in that situation but it might give just a little more piece of mind

Update:

I'm back in the fight. Sold some glass to fund all my items needed. I loaded 100rds of .260 rem in .5 gr increments (42.0-43.5 gr of H4350/140 smk bthp) @ 2.810 COL.... Hope to touch 2750 fps with my #17 contour 22" krieger.

never put to much stock in chronographs but it be nice to have mine back as a base line.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

I made the portable bench that Bob posted back in February when I went on a work related trip to Florida. I sat in a hotel room and deprimed a few gallons of brass. I mounted an old Redding on the top and figure there's enough room to add a powder dispenser and scale if I ever want to take it to the range.