• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Things I learned from a decade-plus on the 'Hide

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
I was thinking this morning after making a quick profile update, I've had my 'hide account longer than my kids. In the time I've been a member of the 'hide - active or just lurking - I've built 3 houses, sold 2, and had 3 kids, 5 dogs, 9 cats, 49 chickens, 4 turkeys, and 11 ducks - and more than 20 firearms that I either still have or have purchased and moved on from.

I'm just a guy. No crazy credentials, just someone who enjoys shooting, wants to at least be "ok" at it, and has a question or three every now and again.

Lessons from a decade-plus on the hide that probably I didn't demonstrate or know at first, that I look back and can principally lay at the feet of interactions here:

1) The rifle makes a difference, but its the ecosystem surrounding it (you doing your part, your ammunition, your sighting and calculation approach being accurate) that makes for a shooting outcome.

2) When things go not as well as expected at the range, examine the trigger activation unit before asking about what has changed in the rifle.

3) It's the internet. Half the stuff here is good insight. At least a quarter is misinformed but loudly stated opinion. The rest you can scroll past. Just like Russian disinformation - its up to you to figure out which is which.

4) Not every acerbic response to your post deserves a reply.

5) Get off the forum, out of the house, and shoot. THEN ask a question or post about the challenge you are working through.

6) There are some problems that all of the forum advice in the world needs to be complemented by a friend or coach who can look at your mechanics in real time, in the real world, and help you break a bad habit.

7) Frank is a gruff teddy bear underneath the curmudgeon exterior.

I don't remember when I joined but it was definitely a couple years or more before the dreaded Scout days.
What I've learned is there is a bunch of intelligent and caring folks here and some assholes but it's all entertaining and mostly informative.
Oh, and bonus question, would BFC screw Whoopi G?

That is is important to count and remember how many chickens, turkeys, and ducks I have had.

:p