• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about a new PRS gun build - AICS AT-X?

tm6.5

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2021
Ohio
I've been shooting a Howa 6.5 creedmoor barreled action in an MDT ACC chassis for the past year. I'm thinking about a new build for next year. I.ve been reading the threads on the at-x chassis. So.....

AICS AT-X chassis

SA Impact precision 737r or Kelby Atlas action (leaning towards impact precision)

Benchmark pre-fit 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Straightjacket Armory M24. I've been reloading all my own ammo, so I might request less freebore so I can get a little closer to the lands with hornady a-tips or berger hybrids.

Thoughts / recommendations on this combination?

Why not use the MDT chassis?
Cuz it's howa inlet? Mans gonna make a nice upgrade going to a quality custom 700 footprint action, and I don't blame him. I wasn't a huge fan of my impact, I'd prob go kelbly in my experience. The bolt lift/close is smoother vs the notchy shifter feel of the impact, although not noticeable when running it fast. They're both good choices, all comes down to personal tastes.

Check out the Vision chassis, I got one right after my AT-X for a .223 build, but ended up ordering an AT-X chassis as well. Going to repurpose the Vision chassis for a 6.5CM build.

As a side note, I'm basically doing the exact same thing as you in terms of an Impact 737 and Benchmark .223 barrel from Straightjacket, along with a Bix'n'Andy trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkside-Six
I've been shooting a Howa 6.5 creedmoor barreled action in an MDT ACC chassis for the past year. I'm thinking about a new build for next year. I.ve been reading the threads on the at-x chassis. So.....

AICS AT-X chassis

SA Impact precision 737r or Kelby Atlas action (leaning towards impact precision)

Benchmark pre-fit 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Straightjacket Armory M24. I've been reloading all my own ammo, so I might request less freebore so I can get a little closer to the lands with hornady a-tips or berger hybrids.

Impact is a great action and Tate is second to none. There's a reason they're as popular in PRS as they are.

If you're hell bent on a chassis, I'd suggest a MDT or MPA chassis. They have a much larger network of after market accessories and support.

I'd also suggest looking at a Foundation Centurion. John and crew are great people and the stocks are outstanding.

AICS AT-X chassis

So....

The new gun is built. AT-X Chassis, Razor Action, TriggerTech trigger, 5x5 26" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking forward to getting it broken in and shooting a couple of matches!

Now I'm looking for a cart!

Reactions: Darkside-Six
So....

The new gun is built. AT-X Chassis, Razor Action, TriggerTech trigger, 5x5 26" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking forward to getting it broken in and shooting a couple of matches!

It didn’t happen without pictures

So....

A quick pic...

Attachments

• IMG_3109.jpg
    IMG_3109.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 103
Does the bore height matter? I was kinda surprised how high the AT-X is by looking at the pics.

Does the bore height matter? I was kinda surprised how high the AT-X is by looking at the pics.
The cheek to the on the atx is high, 1.5" mount no matter what, or taller. The bore height in the chassis is low, why I love this chassis(have three) I have removed the factory but pads, in place of a pacmeyer 500b small. Its thinner giving shorter LOP. Have also swapped out the cheeks for the anarchy outdoors pieces to lower it about 1/2".

The cheek to the on the atx is high, 1.5" mount no matter what, or taller. The bore height in the chassis is low, why I love this chassis(have three) I have removed the factory but pads, in place of a pacmeyer 500b small. Its thinner giving shorter LOP. Have also swapped out the cheeks for the anarchy outdoors pieces to lower it about 1/2".

You are right. I went and measured. The AT-X was the same as my XLR. The XLR just feels lower. Probably do to the things you listed.

You are right. I went and measured. The AT-X was the same as my XLR. The XLR just feels lower. Probably do to the things you listed.
I own several of the envy and atx chassis. They both work well. Wish they'd not put such a soft recoil pad on the new c5 buttstock.

I just mounted the scope with a taller scope mount because I couldn't get low enough to get a good sight picture. The height of the cheek rest makes sense. I may try the anarchy outdoor cheek rest to test the difference.

I own several of the envy and atx chassis. They both work well. Wish they'd not put such a soft recoil pad on the new c5 buttstock.
Interesting that you mention this...I have an Envy with the TR2 stock, and it has that super squishy limbsaver recoil pad. When I shot my 223AI out of the chassis, it shot bugholes...when I drop my 308 or 7 SAW in the chassis, the groups opened up to over an inch. I was not satisfied, and proceeded to shoot the barreled action out 4 different chassis/stocks. I immediately noticed the groups shrink in the other chassis/stocks. This made little sense because the barreled action is bedded to the Envy. The squishy recoil pad bugged me, and I wondered if it allowed excess movement under recoil. I switched the stock to an AR buffer tube, and a Magpul PRS lite, and the groups instantly tightened back up to the best they have ever been. My theory (based on my anecdotal evidence, sample size of one) is that the 223AI showed little deviation due to the light recoil...while the 7 SAW and 308 will exploit any deficiency in managing recoil. Just an observation, YMMV.

Interesting that you mention this...I have an Envy with the TR2 stock, and it has that super squishy limbsaver recoil pad. When I shot my 223AI out of the chassis, it shot bugholes...when I drop my 308 or 7 SAW in the chassis, the groups opened up to over an inch. I was not satisfied, and proceeded to shoot the barreled action out 4 different chassis/stocks. I immediately noticed the groups shrink in the other chassis/stocks. This made little sense because the barreled action is bedded to the Envy. The squishy recoil pad bugged me, and I wondered if it allowed excess movement under recoil. I switched the stock to an AR buffer tube, and a Magpul PRS lite, and the groups instantly tightened back up to the best they have ever been. My theory (based on my anecdotal evidence, sample size of one) is that the 223AI showed little deviation due to the light recoil...while the 7 SAW and 308 will exploit any deficiency in managing recoil. Just an observation, YMMV.
Yes soft recoil pads suck for shooting tight groups, causes rear end deflection and rifle doesn't track well. I'm gonna try to put my own pads on my 3 different C5 buttstocks. I get a small group loading into bipod, but it I don't have the most absolute consistent pressure, things shift, stringing, then another tight group. I have noticed a trend like yourself.