• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thinking about changing shipping boxes

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Rifle AR15 Shipping Boxes Foam Lined | Foam-Lined Gun Boxes
Rifle_ConvFoam.jpg
Thinking about switching over to these boxes for shipping rifles. I have never been that impressed with shipping in plastic cases. Any of you guys use them and can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks
Russell

I use these-

8 x 4 x 52" FOL Side Loading Corrugated Boxes - 200 lb. test S-12650 - Uline

I roll the rifle I am shipping in the thick foam protector sheets I get from work ( scrap). I then go to the USPS and get the free shipping boxes and fold in sections and wrap both ends and the middle of the rolled up rifle & tape.
I fold it so it just fits inside my shipping box, slide inside and cut the length to match and seal it up. I could drop it from a tree and not damage the contents.

Back during my stint working at Gander Mountain we used them to ship gunsmith work back and forth to the main shop, they work well for about one or two trips then they get pretty beat up. I also am under the belief that if it got slammed down hard enough the rifle could pretty easily slide to an edge of the box where it will be more vulnerable to damage. For close to the same price as a plastic plano or flambeau I prefer the plastic case with tape wrapped around it and zip ties through the lock holes. Just my .02

We have been using the cheap Plano cases and I am not all that happy with them. I would like to find something with a little more protection.

In my experience with these boxes I dont think you will be GAINING any protection over a plano. Basically same foam inside but you lose the rigid exterior protection. Unless youve been finding actually broken cases with holes in them, then yeah the boxes will be more flexible in that regard.

You may look to see if the cases that POF and SIG use, for example, are available. They are a slightly nicer case and wider with a little more foam padding.

I took a look at one of those style cases I have in the shop and couldnt find any marking from the actual company that molds them, not much luck with google either.

Last edited: