• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Thinking about getting a Vortex PST 6-24x50 SFP and would appreciate some advice.

The_Hammer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2017
Texas
Howdy!

I currently have an 18" AR15 with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 that I regularly take out to 500 yards shooting 2/3 steel silhouette targets. The furthest I've taken it out was 800 yards and actually made a couple of hits on the same 2/3 silhouette target with the PST 1-4. Since I have this rifle and handloads dialed in I started thinking about picking up a higher power scope to practice shooting at longer ranges without spending a fortune on ammo. I really like my PST 1-4 and was thinking about picking up a refurbished PST 6-24x50 SFP mil/mil for $500, which is right about my max budget. I already have a Geissele 30mm 20 moa Super Precision mount so I won't have to worry about running out of internal adjustment.

Below are my intended uses and a few questions:

* I don't intend to shoot at paper for groups (other than to zero the rifle).•
* I will be shooting at known distance targets, though I wouldn't mind practicing ranging.•
* I fully understand the differences between SFP and FFP.
• * My maximum available range is 1000 yards with 850 being typical.
• * My budget is $600
• *How does the glass compare to a SWFA SS 3-15x42 or a NF SHV 4-14x50?

I specifically mentioned the SWFA and NF because I have first hand experience shooting with them out to 850 yards.

Based on what I've posted above do you think that this scope will fit my needs?

Picture of said rifle.

35708073850_5bef076980_b.jpg

Last edited:
You seem to have a good understanding of the particulars so I say since you havent ruled it out yourself it will be hard for us to do so for you. Pick one up and rock on

You seem to have a good understanding of the particulars so I say since you havent ruled it out yourself it will be hard for us to do so for you. Pick one up and rock on

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking anything. The plan is to upgrade to a Gen II 5-25x50 FFP or possibly a Razor down the road.

I had an HS-T 6x24 on my SPR build.
basically a base model PST.
Not a bad scope till you crank it to full power and look at very distant targets.

Lot of of fun shooting coyotes and steel with it.
I'll pretty get another mount for it and swap between that and the 1x4 that's on it now.

I had an HS-T 6x24 on my SPR build.
basically a base model PST.
Not a bad scope till you crank it to full power and look at very distant targets.

Lot of of fun shooting coyotes and steel with it.
I'll pretty get another mount for it and swap between that and the 1x4 that's on it now.

How far away are "distant" targets? 1000+ yards?

I'm planning to do the same with my 1-4 and whichever higher power scope I end up with. These Super Precision mounts have an amazing RTZ which really simplifies switching optics around.

How far away are "distant" targets? 1000+ yards?

I'm planning to do the same with my 1-4 and whichever higher power scope I end up with. These Super Precision mounts have an amazing RTZ which really simplifies switching optics around.
1200+

I could still see stuff plenty well to hit but picking out some splashes from misses was interesting at times.
I stole it off my SPR to put on a bolt action and shot it to 1600 a fair bit.
I recently got a new higher dollar scope so the 6x24 is going back to the SPR.

On on other issue with the PST/HS-T is that in a 20/30 moa setup is the scope is often at it's adjustment limits and that doesn't help clarity either.

Not an issue for most AR's
lookin forward to doing some load development with new bullets and shooting some small groups again with AR

The Gen1 PST's are good scopes for the $. I like having higher magnification optics on my rifles for distance shooting, so I say go for it... Although me personally, I'd spring for a FFP version with the ebr2 reticle. The NF SHV scopes are also great scopes but a little pricier. If going that route, I'd save up a few more bucks and shop around on the Optics PX here for a good deal on a NF SHV F1 4-14. That scope would be tits on an spr style rifle and a lot better glass than the PST.

I had two of these exact scopes (sold one) They are decent scopes but shooting out past 500 yds I found myself dialing back to 12 power, cause the glass wasn't that great, and 12 power was right on the 2x multiplier for wind holds, (not an easy way to hold for wind) as the scope is not FFP,( if that makes any sense) The 5 mil turret didn't really excite me that much either.. All that aside, it tracked fine, but was not an easy scope for me to use.. I learned that for me, SFP is not the answer for my shooting needs.. Grab one in FFP or as someone stated watch the PX for a smoking deal on a Bushnell DMR

I have a PST 6-24 FFP I bought from my buddy last yr for my 7 mag. I feel it starts to loose clearity at about x18. For the money it's a great scope. At x18 power 1000 should be gtg though. The SHV I borrowed was also a nice scope and I had no complaints for its price point. YMMV. Hope this helped

If you don't need the illumination you'll save some money by going with an HST vs the PST. I have an HST 6-24 on my Grendel and I shoot out to 750 and 1000 yards with it regularly.

I have a line on a PST 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-1 reticle for $600. Decisions decisions lol.

offer 550. People are going to the gen 2 and it's tough to unload the gen 1s. Tracking has been good on the several I've owned. The glass is fine for your needs and shooting out to 1000 on those size targets will not be an issue at all.

can't beat the vortex warranty.

Be careful, with this purchase it may ignite your interest in precision long range shooting and thus taking you down a wild road.

I have the PST 6-24x50 FFP and love it. Use it on my .338 LM and have had excellent results. Glass does get a bit iffy at 18+ mag, but plenty good for 1000. If you can pick one up for $600 go for it. I also used the Vortex precision rings and both hold perfect zero with the .338.

offer 550. People are going to the gen 2 and it's tough to unload the gen 1s. Tracking has been good on the several I've owned. The glass is fine for your needs and shooting out to 1000 on those size targets will not be an issue at all.

can't beat the vortex warranty.

Be careful, with this purchase it may ignite your interest in precision long range shooting and thus taking you down a wild road.

$600 was the post haggle price and is what I ended up paying.

As far as being careful goes it's too late for me, I've already been bitten by the precision long range shooting bug lol. My buddy has a Remington 700 20" 308 5-R stainless with a Timney 512 trigger and is topped with a NF SHV 4-14x56 mil/mil. I've shot it out to 850 yards (currently the furthest we have to shoot) and love it. He recently purchased a stainless Tikka T3 CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor and topped it with a SWFA 3-15x42 FFP. That one is also a fantastic shooter. I see myself spending a lot of money down the road lol.

I have the PST 6-24x50 FFP and love it. Use it on my .338 LM and have had excellent results. Glass does get a bit iffy at 18+ mag, but plenty good for 1000. If you can pick one up for $600 go for it. I also used the Vortex precision rings and both hold perfect zero with the .338.

This is why I decided to go FFP. If I need to dail back the magnification a little I won't have to worry about figuring out my holds.

You'll enjoy that scope. Glass is still plenty clear at higher magnification, but not $3500.00 clear. Congrats.

You won't hate yourself, but your significant other/bank account will hate you!

My wife actually enjoys the shooting sports and likes to play with my new purchases. My bank account on the other hand has filed for a restraining order against me lol.