• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about going to ND for work....input NEEDED...HELP!!!

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
So...I find myself in a place where what I am currently doing is not really working anymore. I need to make money (imagine that!) and have no formal education or training. I have worked for myself since 1995 so jumping into the world of working for others is a BIG step for me.

I really feel my options are limited and in my mid 40's I do not feel like I have much time left. I can say this to the younger members here....DON'T FUCK AROUND!

Ok...so my plan is to obtain a class A CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsements and head up to ND to try and find work in the oil fields for a few years. Hoping to bank some money to finance some other projects I have in mind.

Does anyone have first hand experience in this line of work (oil field work)? I have read much online, but I would like to hear from some fellow hide members that are in the know. Any help would be much appreciated.

So far I understand that while housing is expensive around the boom towns, it is getting easier to find (lots of new construction going on). Winters are hard...uh...yeah...I get that. Hours are long...thats where the money is made...lots of OT.

Anyone??

Thanks, Stan

If you want a job you can come to Texas, if you have a CDL and a HazMat you can go to work as soon as your drug test comes back. I know it is not ND but there are drivers that make 100 grand and age is not a factor just something to think about.

Theres some good work in ND in the oil fields and a lot of money to be made, but you are right there is no houseing and the locals are taking advantage of it. When I was there last a few years ago putting in mainline (I am a Equipment operator) I ended up staying almost 2hr from the jobsite and was paying around $250 a week for a motel. Something close to the job 45min or so was around $400 a week for a rundown pos motel. The nicer motels were $6-700 a week.

After talking with a few people recently this year, I have heard some crazy prices on houseing and camper spots. Like $2500 a month for a camper spot, and $4k a month for a cubical they call a room.

I do know that some companys have offered houseing incentives to get people there, like they pay the first 3 months and you pay the next 3 on a 6mo contract.

Regardless do your research, and when trying to get hired on I would make housing a big priority in your decision. No point making the big bucks when you pay it all out just for a place to sleep and eat.

Hopefully someone else here might have a little bit more current info for you, or might actually be up there right now and can give you some insight. Good luck by the way.

Stan,
I just drove up there for the first time since 09", it's a different world. I don't know if you've been through the "Boomtown" thing, but it's not for everyone. The blessing would come being able to work straight through for a set time, and then go back home for time off. Man camps are littering farmers wheat fields, it's a mess.
Through the winter months, one or two days off would most likely be spent sitting around idle, there's not much to do there unless you ice fish or snowmobile, shooting in the winter would be rough, I'd bet the average mean temp is around 15 degrees.

I don't know you, or how much you can tolerate, but I'd take a week off and visit, with motel reservations first, and look it over, and see if you could actually thrive in that atmosphere. I'd flip burgers at McD's before I'd do it, and I was born right in the heart of that shit.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am looking at flights to try and get up there and look around.

I have thought about TX as well, but it seems the "big" money is in ND right now.

We will see....just know I have to do something different and soon.

Take care, Stan

Just remember, it's friggin COLD in ND during the winter months. Plus wind and snow.

You can make big money in the Eagle Ford (South Texas) right now as well and have a cheaper cost of living, and a better climate. I wouldn't go to ND unless you like living in a camper. With a Class A, Haz Mat, and Tanker Cert you can get a job tomorrow.

I've worked in nearly all of the US Shale plays and a lot of conventional stuff. The Eagle Ford is one of my favorites. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Question on TX oil field, no 6 month or one year minimums driving Class A?

I was up there at the start paved hiway 2 from minot to Williston at that time it was 10 bucks a night for a camper spot at little towns like ray which is between the 2. Now talking to my friends who still work out of the Williston office we have it is a different animal. No where to stay that isn't really really high priced. you want to see what it is like there is a face book page called the daily bakken fail or some thing like that. Fuckers are crazy the way they drive. A guy that drives semi for us in the summer went up in the winter when laid off he worked for 2 days and said he wasn't willing to die to make some money but there is money to be made. If you want to talk to a bunch of guys that work out there go to fishingbuddy.com it is a nd hunting fishing web site with a lot of oil guys on it and they can answer a lot of questions there but be prepared for a rash of shit a lot of the local NDers are about sick of the whole oil mess up there.

Stan,
I just drove up there for the first time since 09", it's a different world. I don't know if you've been through the "Boomtown" thing, but it's not for everyone. The blessing would come being able to work straight through for a set time, and then go back home for time off. Man camps are littering farmers wheat fields, it's a mess.
Through the winter months, one or two days off would most likely be spent sitting around idle, there's not much to do there unless you ice fish or snowmobile, shooting in the winter would be rough, I'd bet the average mean temp is around 15 degrees.

I don't know you, or how much you can tolerate, but I'd take a week off and visit, with motel reservations first, and look it over, and see if you could actually thrive in that atmosphere. I'd flip burgers at McD's before I'd do it, and I was born right in the heart of that shit.

Good Luck!

Good advice. I pipelined in Nevada where it was an hour to civilization and working 7 days a week 16 hours a day for 10 weeks straight gives you a new outlook on life once you get out of the zombie state of mind. When the boss finally said take Sunday off I was so ate up with work and the double time that I was upset that I didn't get to work lol. A few months later things slowed down and went back to 60 hours a week, that job lasted 7 months and I'm pretty sure I had well over 2000 hours for the year. THe end of July the Job was over and I went home to relax instead of going straight to another job. After having time to think about life I decided to end the rat race of spending my life traveling on the road working and not spending much time at home where I could enjoy life and my hobbies. I took a total of 5 months off and took an almost $30 an hour cut in pay starting out just so I could get out of it, it was the hardest decision I have ever made and struggled with the decision, especially this year (3 years later) when a pipeline is within 5 miles of my house but it's nice being home every night.

I spent a lot of money to make the big money as other people mentioned. I was paying $450 a week for an extended stay hotel out in Virginia and it wasn't very nice for what I was paying. We went to work in another town and the races were in Charlotte I believe so we have to go almost an hour away to a shithole just to get an overpriced hotel. Money is great but it's not all it's cracked up to be. I finally bought a camper but in the winter they are a pain when they freeze up and you get home at 10pm and have to thaw the water line even though you have everything insulated and heat taped. I had a heater element in the water heater go out when it was -14 in Nevada with 30mph winds, that's not fun in the dark.

Anyways, just want to let you know that it can be rough at times but it can also be a lot of fun and you can meet some great people too. I'm not trying to talk you out of it by any means, I wouldn't trade my 10 years of road construction and pipeline travels for anything. I have a lot of great memories but I have a lot of bad ones to go along with them too.

you hit the nail right on the head. I was on the road for 5 years got married after the first year and you find out why most the long timers were divorced at least once or twice. Seeing my son standing at the door crying when I was leaving was the nail in the coffin of that job. I took a 20 grand a year pay cut but being home watching him grow up is priceless.

you hit the nail right on the head. I was on the road for 5 years got married after the first year and you find out why most the long timers were divorced at least once or twice. Seeing my son standing at the door crying when I was leaving was the nail in the coffin of that job. I took a 20 grand a year pay cut but being home watching him grow up is priceless.

I'm glad you mentioned that, my dad was a superintendent for a road construction company when I grew up so he was never around. We never got along until I started traveling and figured out what what his life was like and now we are very good friends. Part of the reason in my parents divorce was because of the traveling and I wasn't going to let that happen when my wife was tired of that life so that was a big factor in my decision. My dad and I almost quit talking over me quitting my pipeline job, he wanted me to stay in it for the money. That's all he could think about and trust me it's hard not to with that kind of money involved but when I made the comment about I would rather not give up half of what I own and pay alimony like he did, he didn't really press the issue anymore. It was kind of a low blow but I made my point.

I was talking to a maintenance supervisor from Haliburton who is working in SD now, with one mention that I used to be a greasemonkey on large diesels he tried to hire me over the phone. I declined saying I didn't want to pay $2500/month for a patch of dirt to park a 5th wheel and he said Haliburton has company housing in the Dakota's. Something to think about.

I have been on drilling rigs for 21 years. I was in ND for two years, but my company began running out of good leases and service companies in ND have priced themselves out of work. Long story short they sent me to northern CO which is my company's new hotspot. Southeastern NM is going pretty good too (from what I hear). My advice is take a nice long road trip south to north, and check out some warmer spots first. If nothing pans out you will end up in ND. Good luck!

I was talking to a maintenance supervisor from Haliburton who is working in SD now, with one mention that I used to be a greasemonkey on large diesels he tried to hire me over the phone. I declined saying I didn't want to pay $2500/month for a patch of dirt to park a 5th wheel and he said Haliburton has company housing in the Dakota's. Something to think about.

ya they do they are called man camps and if you need any meth it is the place to score some. A lot of good has came from the oil but you talk any one who grew up out there and most would give it all back to have life go back to how it was. Williams county has an open hire for as many cops as they can come work there. When you get off the bus in Williston on one side is the old folks home and right beside it is the strip bar/brothel. wild life has taken a big shit out there since the boom

Thanks for all the input gents. Trust me it has been and continues to be a seriously thought out move for me. In a perfect world, I would be able to continue operating my business and be able to make a living doing it. But those days seem to be gone. And as I posted above, I have no formal education and no skills that are marketable. One of the down sides of being self employed for almost 20 years.

I will post a follow up and let you all know what I come up with.

Take care

The only thing is texas has constant money not just a spike like ND or PA. Only bad thing is if prices fall PA,ND hands get shot in the foot first because of more expensive operating cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BgBmBoo

I was thinking about it too, until I came across a trucking website(for truckers) during my research into the whole thing.

One of the many(keyword) horror stories, involved an electrical storm while the truck driver telling the story was filling up the tanker with oil. It's a pucker factor of 10.

The same poster also said that he was almost robbed of his truck, and everything by two men, with his only saving grace being his revolver. It started when they jumped up onto the truck while it was in motion, and tried to pull him out.

I think there are safer, and more steady ways to make money.

Isn't there also a saying along the lines of "The quicker the rise, the faster the fall", or something to that extent, in relation to boomtowns? Plenty of western ghost towns started out that way.

I enjoy working the oilfield but I work on a rig and stay in crew quarters. I work 14 days on, and get 14 days off. I fly home to Michigan on my days off, because believe it or not its cheaper than staying in midland or odessa. I thought of doing the whole CDL thing but those guys are always gone and yes you can make some good money. I'd rather make less and be home with my kids or be able to hunt and shoot matches. Getting in to the oilfield is the hard part but once in you can move around pretty easily once you get some experience.

This thread is a good example of the good advice that can be had from a good group of guys at this site. Snipershide really does seem to have a good bunch of people around.

Stan, you might look at Wyoming as well. My buddy came back from Texas and was hired within 3 or so weeks hauling water out to oil fields. He works as much as he wants and gets time and a half after forty hours. He puts in up to 70 his a week (by his choice) and says he is well in his way to making over 100K this year. He says it ain't slowing down either as the company just doubled their staff. And it is local routes normally, so your home at night. I can get you some contact information if you want, just let me know.

Justin

The only thing is texas has constant money not just a spike like ND or PA. Only bad thing is if prices fall PA,ND hands get shot in the foot first because of more expensive operating cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ND has reserves and business for many years to come.
The state of North Dakota also released a report that month which estimated that there are 2.1 billion barrels (330,000,000 m3) of technically recoverable oil in the Bakken.[6] Various other estimates place the total reserves, recoverable and non-recoverable with today's technology, at up to 24 billion barrels. A recent estimate places the figure at 18 billion barrels.[7] In April 2013, the US Geological Survey released a new figure for expected ultimate recovery of 7.4 billion barrels of oil.[8]
Bakken formation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Nat Geo. story:
The New Oil Landscape - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine

Last edited:
What about offshore? I've worked in the gulf for almost 16 yrs now. Good money, good benefits, 6 months off/yr. You'll be confined to a rig for 14 or 21 days at a time, you can't get into much trouble hitting the bars after you knock off. Housing is provided of course, and if you get on a modern rig built since the 90's they are pretty nice living conditions. Once you advance above a certain position level your plane tickets are paid. You don't need experience for entry level jobs, mostly willingness to work and put up with a lot of rules/regulations/paperwork. A roustabout makes almost 20 bucks/hr-that's somewhere around 60k/yr. Somewhere around 86 hrs/week paid. Of course more than 40 hrs/wk is OT. I'm kinda vague on the hourly pay, I been salary for several years now. I'm basically a one-tooth, redneck, knuckledragging mechanic making 6 figures.
I work on a drillship now, but I worked on the jackups when I started, then semisubmersibles.

Men have been raped.....by men up there. Used to live there. Have friends and family still there. They say it is not even the same place at all. I guess if you're desperate ya gotta make money, but know what to expect. I think Gillette was/is crazy. But I think it's Mayberry compared to nodak. It don't bother some people. Go make that cash, but there is a reason for the money. And sleep with your back to the wall.

Men have been raped.....by men up there. Used to live there. Have friends and family still there. They say it is not even the same place at all. I guess if you're desperate ya gotta make money, but know what to expect. I think Gillette was/is crazy. But I think it's Mayberry compared to nodak. It don't bother some people. Go make that cash, but there is a reason for the money. And sleep with your back to the wall.

Men (or at least future men) have been raped in Catholic Churches too, I wouldn't worry too much. Go get money and get out of debt.

God I hate nd. I spent almost 1.5 years out of the last 3 working there. I took a month layoff this winter instead of going back.

Gillette sucks, its a windy hole full of weirdos but at least the wal mart has groceries and hotel rooms are average price.

How about the North Slope of Alaska? I work 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off, room, board and transportation from either Anchorage or Fairbanks is provided. They also provide most of your arctic gear - shirts, bibs, coveralls, parkas, hard hat liners, face masks, gloves, etc. Plus you can work up here and you don't even have to move, hell I think half of our day shift lives in Montana. Two of the guys I work with live in the Philippines and there is a Conoco engineer who lives on a sailboat in Thailand.

As far as the "work" the joke is that we don't work, we're employed. The vac truck motto is "Eat till you're sleepy, sleep till you're hungry." As far as safety - they will drive you insane with safety. For example we can't back up a truck without a spotter, you can't climb a ladder without somebody watching, the safety rules will have you wondering how they ever get anything done.

Check the web sites for:
CH2M Hill (that's who I work for)
ASRC Energy Services
Peak Oilfield Services
BP
Conoco Phillips
ENI Oil
Pioneer Oil
Doyon Drilling
Nabors Drilling
Nordic Calista
Parker Drilling
Haliburton
Schlumberger
Little Red Services
Mag Tec
Baker Hughes
Udelhoven
Price Gregory
and a bunch of others I can't think of right now.
It's a little late now but winter is the busy season, we just hired 80 or 90 guys and ASRC also hired a bunch.