• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Thinking about selling my glass...

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    So I am thinking about selling my Bushy HDMR with the H58 reticle. I really like the reticle as something to learn by but the more and more I learn about the competitions the more I think dialing and such is a better idea than holdovers. If I was to sell this thing for about 1k-ish and didn't really have much if any funds to add to that price tag what would you guys suggest purchasing? I am wondering if there is any glass out there that is better than the HDMR for close to the same price point.

This will go on a ~23" .308 with the purpose of shooting competitions (eventually). Will be shooting out to 1200 yards at times, maybe further just for kicks. I prefer mil/mil, FFP, and something over 20x mag. Suggestions?

Stay with the Bushy.
    There is not much out there at your price point and specs.
    Save some more money and go the Nightforce route or take a look at Vortex.
    Wojcik won the 2013 Oregon Sniper Challenge with a Vortex Razor HD.

Eurooptics offers Steiner Military 4-16x50 for 1500$ at the moment. While it doesn't have 20x magnification I would definitely consider it as a step up. Otherwise I would agree with buks.

Sambra, thank man. I was looking at that. I really need to get behind some Steiner glass. I've always been really interested in the 5-25.

Stay with the Bushy.
    There is not much out there at your price point and specs.
    Save some more money and go the Nightforce route or take a look at Vortex.
    Wojcik won the 2013 Oregon Sniper Challenge with a Vortex Razor HD.

There is one out there that trumps any other optic in said price range...that is the SWFA SW HD 5-20x50. Very robust scope, great turrets, glass quality noticeably better than the Bushy's (I know because I've owned 3 Bushy's along with the SS HD). I owned a Razor for a short time. Nice scope but again, the SS HD has better quality glass along with cleaner ergonomics.

Sambra, thank man. I was looking at that. I really need to get behind some Steiner glass. I've always been really interested in the 5-25.

Sadly the 5-25 still sells for 3k.... :-( Not sure if you are familiar with this review by ILya:

High End Tactical Scopes: Part III » OpticsThoughts

He compares most of he scopes named in this thread. Can't believe that a scope like the Steiner which optically and mechanically seems to be comparable to Schmidt & Bender/Premier sells for half the price. Just ordered one for myself. ;-)

Uhh...you realize you can dial with the Bushy, even with the H58? I have the HDMR on my DTA and when my friends are shooting my gun, I just dial in the dope for them instead of explaining how the reticle works.

I was going to say the same thing. If you would rather dial it in then do so with the one you have. The only downside is the grid obstruction but it dials all the same.

of course I know I can dial on the HDRM. I was just thinking about moving up and away from the H58 and back to a more standard mil reticle ro gen 2 mil reticle. Don't get me wrong I like the 27,37,58,59 reticles they are awesome for quick engagements and such. I put this post up mainly just to see if anyone threw something out there that I may have missed when looking at optic selections. I had fairly limited funds when i purchased this optic. It has served me very well since then. I am still very very limited with funding for new stuff. So this was basically a is there anythign out there that I may have missed or didn't consider that would be worth looking into. I'm pretty much sure I will be keeping this optic and waiting till I can afford a S&B, Premier or Steiner.

I hold my 308's to around 800 yards so the HDMR works well. While many take a .308 out to longer ranges, I move up to a 300 RUM or .338 Lap or larger beyond 800 and that's where the increase in optics will make a noticeable difference. HDMR to a S&B or similar is a big step. You may also look at vortex or NF for an upgrade in optics without a major financial hit in the pocket book. JMHO

Well, in that case, the one scope I kind of have my eye on is the new Nightforce Beast with the H59 reticle. I had my eye on the new Hendsoldt 3.5-26 but it looks like the poor customer service, so-so reticle, plus the rather odd tube outer diameter is dissuading me from that option. I had custom 1.53" high 34mm titanium rings made for my DTA and don't want to lose the use of them over a scope that isn't that much better than the competition.

Right now my HDMR seem to serve me just fine. I can hit the bull's eye with my DTA and HDMR at 600 yards which is the farthest my rifle range will go. So spending more money to upgrade doesn't really buy me too much more except maybe an illuminated reticle. Given the features of the Bushy, you really need to spend a whole much more just to capture a small incremental benefit.

I already have the SWFA 5-20 HD mounted on a different rifle. It is better but not enough better to be worth the bother for me to get a different set of rings made. The SWFA uses 30mm rings.

The NF BEAST with H59 is around 4K. The h59 use to be a 400 dollar addition in S&B and now I see it's 500 dollars in the NF. While I have some optics with these reticles, I am not going to pay an extra 500 for it.

Horus reticle definitely won't be my deciding factor when it comes to spending money one some high dollar glass. I've been behind Premiers glass while in the military and it was very good.

I was inches from buying the scope you have now, but jumped on the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP MOA3 instead. I read enough reviews that indicated superior glass to the HDMR, as well as superb tracking. I was never able to compare the two, but glass is running with my Nightforce, and beating Leupy VX-3. I got mine for 900.00. I have the MOA version, there is also a Mil-Mil.

I've owned a couple hdmr, a swfa 5 -20, and I have landed on vortex razor 5-20. IMO, it is the best glass you will get Ib that price range, and you can nearly always find one for sale here in the $1600'ish range. Me and several of my friends have compared the swfa and razor side by side under different conditions, and we all keep giving the razor the nod. And it blows the hdmr out of the water!

For years I've been holding over with the H-reticles but earlier this year I started dialing for the fun of it using my S&B H59. I'm here to tell you those .2 mil wind hold hash's on the horizontal crosshair come in handy. I had my personal best score in windy conditions last weekend at our local long range match with a 70% hit ratio in 10-15mph winds. Man that was fun! Yes I got pretty lucky but when I saw my miss I measured using those .2 mil lines exactly where the miss went, then corrected usually connecting on the 2cnd shot.

I put that scope on my Field Target air rifle and my scores have increased significantly this year for the same reason. Reason being I can see exactly 1 click/.1mil in the reticle, which made the difference between a hit and miss more times than I can remember.

Anyways...till you can buy a apex brand scope I suggest you stick with what you have and practice as much as you can.

Oh and buy a nice air rifle to practice with too. The wind holds are surprisingly similar to a centerfire.

I am going to stick with my glass and just shoot a ton as I have been. I shoot at least once a week with my 'mentor/sponsor' for the past 3 months. Occassionally get to shoot with some of the big big names in the sport which is awesome practice. The guy that mentors me, give me drills, watches me shoot and makes suggestions shoots with these big name guys once a month and he is very knowledgable which has help a ton already. I need another couple hunderd rounds down the tube before I think I am really ready to actually compete in a competition. I don't mean just sign up and shoot. I mean sign up and win. Time will tell. Thanks for the input gents.